Home General Discussion
Options

new humidor

Hey guys I picked up a small 20 count humidor from my local B&M to hold me over till I find a good medium size humidor. I am currently seasoning it, I took about 2 ozs of water in a small cup and placed it inside. It is distilled water. I couldnt find propylene glycol at any of my stores in town. Now I bought a little tube with the gel crystals that is supposed to keep my humidor at 70%. Should i add these into the empty humidor while its seasoning? Also the cup has been in there for around 12 hours and only a little has been absorbed. I need this to be ready by tomorrow cause thats when I get my cigars, and that pre embargo special from yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I would hold off... it will be seasoned when it's seasoned, y'know? Create a tuppedor until it's ready.
  • Options
    Hey I was also told that if you heat the distilled water it will absorb much faster. Is this true? Are there any downsides to doing this?
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    newtocigars:
    Hey I was also told that if you heat the distilled water it will absorb much faster. Is this true? Are there any downsides to doing this?
    When I seasoned my humidors, I put the bowl of water in the microwave for about 30 seconds before I put it in the humidor. I would think that it helped a little but I don't know how much.
    You are still going to want to wait until the humidor is seasoned before you put the sticks in it. You might have a chance of having it seasoned tomorrow if you don't open the lid to see where it is at until you get the sticks in the mail. The tuperdor is still probably going to be your best option for the first few days.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Well said by everyone. Take your time seasoning it...which is just patience. Leaving the dish of distilled in there is right on, you can add your tube now, but if it is a medium size humidor, those tubes are only good for 25 cigars in a smaller humidor. Now a jar of crytals would be a better route. CCOM sells the(and PG solution) for pretty cheap. I would continue to season for about a week. An improperly seasoned humidor will cause hair pulling frustration down the road.
  • Options
    OK so wait till tomorrow, then open it? Keep adding distilled water that has been warmed in microwave for a few days. I guess thats my plan, I didnt wipe the inside down I read most places are against it. I will use my cigar gel crystal tube for my tubbador until the humidor is seasoned. How do I know when it is done? I have a digital hygrometer coming too, should I just put it in? I have the humidor in my closet in my room, my room is air conditioned.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    When you get your hygrometer you will want to calibrate it by doing the salt test. If you do a search on here for salt test, you will find the instructions. This will tell you if your hygrometer is off any. After you do the salt test, you can put the hygrometer in the humidor. You will want to wait to put smokes in the humidor until after the hygrometer is holding steady for a day or so. The more your refrain from opening the humidor, the quicker the process will be since you will not be letting the air out.
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    You should wipe the inside spanish cedar with distilled water also.
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    bwcarter54:
    You should wipe the inside spanish cedar with distilled water also.

Yes it speeds up the process but don't wipe with to much water use as little as possible you don't want it to warp.
  • Options
    What about the warming the water part before placing in a humidor?
  • Options
    Hey the tuppador im going to make and use to hold over my cigars till the humi is good, I dont have cedar for in it, how should I set it up? Will just the cigars and the humi tube thing be ok?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    newtocigars:
    Hey the tuppador im going to make and use to hold over my cigars till the humi is good, I dont have cedar for in it, how should I set it up? Will just the cigars and the humi tube thing be ok?

Can you get some spanish cedar for it in the next coupla days? Maybe some boxes from your local B&M, sometimes they sell them pretty cheap. I've never set one up without the cedar so I can't say what the results will be. I would definitly introduce the spanish cedar into it at some point as soon as possible IMHO...
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Posts: 12
    I've had a pile of Gurkhas in a tupperdor without ceder for a few months now, and they're just fine.  Humidity holding at 68% even with vents open.  If yours doesn't have vents, you'll need to open it and let it breath every week or so.
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Posts: 12

Oh, and new,

If you catch this disease like the rest of us, you'll kick yourself for buying that 20 stick box.  I started 3 months ago.  My first box was a 120 cap, because I wanted something I could slowly grow into.  A month or so later, I added a 200 stick box and a tupperdor.  Yesterday, I started to season a new 100 stick glass top.  But maybe you'll have more self control than I.

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    This is true. I started last month, with a 50 cigar, the next week bought a 120, and currently, both are capped and I have 25 cigars on their way. Once summer comes 'round, I expect to get a 300 count or so.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Do you guys think all cigar smokers are lacking in self control ..maybe some type of gene in our DNA makeup...Nahhhh we just choose enjoyment over self control..I don't have a cigar problem...I buy them I smoke them ...no problem !!!
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    gmill880:
    Do you guys think all cigar smokers are lacking in self control ..maybe some type of gene in our DNA makeup...Nahhhh we just choose enjoyment over self control..I don't have a cigar problem...I buy them I smoke them ...no problem !!!
    See, I like your style Gene.