Home General Discussion

CCOM FORUM BLEND WEEKLY POLL 4: BINDER

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Okay, to make sure everyone is on the same page, we have a medium bodied cigar with:

Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Viso for the natural versiona and Brazilian Arapiraca for the Maduro version

Fillers: 25% Costa Rican Maduro Seco, 25% Nicaragua Condega Viso, 25% Ometepe Nicaragua Ligero and 25% San Andrew Mexico Seco/Viso

Now it is time to pick the binder.... the last step. While the wrapper was selected mainly for its flavor, and the fillers are used to dictate both flavor and strength, a good blender will select a binder for its durability and combusibility, but also as the final ingredient to flavor. Think of it as the "pinch of salt" when tasting the batter before putting it into the oven. Based on what we have already selected, I am going to only proved a revised or shortened list of binders and it will be composed of only things I know will blend well. Specifically, I am going to stay away from exotics and focus more on only more traditional cuban seed offerings that will help establish a base.

Binder (choose 1)
Habano Jalapa Nicaragua (reddish wrapper that is thin with a distinct sweetness)
Habano Jamastran Honduras (tough wrapper that has a strong full flavor and long finish)
Habano Copan Honduras (spicy and sweet with a rich overtone and long finish)
Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes)
Sumatra Indonesia (a toothy wrapper that yields a mild to moderate flavor that is bitter and sweet) br>
Can't wait to hear from everyone.

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Habano Copan Honduras, gotta love the long finish, and the flavors are similar to what we already have, which will hopefully push them through.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    One more for the Habano Copan Honduras. It sounds like it'll bring everything together pretty well.
  • JFJF Posts: 54
    Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes)

I worry that there's no wood to speak of anywhere else in this blend - I think a little cedar will serve to provide a counterpoint to all that sweetness
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Jamastran. Looking to bunk up the strength a bit and i think we've got quite enough sweet in it as is.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Habano Jamastran Honduras

I second Vidarien, I think we have the sweet covered. I also think it would be interesting to have a cigar with tobaccos from 5 different countries.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:

I second Vidarien, I think we have the sweet covered. I also think it would be interesting to have a cigar with tobaccos from 5 different countries.
    Thirded, Alex ;)
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    My pick will be the Habano Copan Honduras because spicy and sweet with a rich overtone and long finish sounds just like the women I married.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Habano Copan Hunduras, Sweetness looks like its there but a nice richness would be nice. Hopefully this turns out to be a nice rich, cedary slightly sweet smoke!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Connecticut Ecuador...I think it would add another dimension to our blend that we might miss out on otherwise.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to the Habano Jamastran I enjoy the full flavor and long finish. No more sweet for me.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Ima go with the Connecticut Ecuador. I think that some cedar would go great with all this sweetness that we've got goin on.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with the jamastran as well, love the long finish, and we don't want it too sweet.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I vote for the Connecticut Ecuador.
  • iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Sumatra Indonesia for me
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Habano Copan Honduras As somebody posted earlier, I think this is the best to wrap this masterpiece together.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Habano Copan Honduras is my vote ...sounds tasty
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    another vote for Connecticut Ecuador
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Habano Jamastran Honduras is my vote. I like my finishes long, and we do have a boatload of sweet already.
  • My vote is for the Connecticut Ecuador. CK
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Going to have to go with Habano Jamastran Honduras, I think it needs a bit of bulking up in the fullness dept and I don't really want to be smoking a maple bar for a cigar.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    Connecticut Ecuador.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    alienmisprint:

Thirded, Alex ;)
    I'm with these guys, so one more for Jamastran. 5 countries sounds great, but realistically I think this works because of the toughness to bring all the exotics in the filler together and sounds like a good base tobacco.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes) for me.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046

the 5 country thing has me, besides I think with the sweet we have already a little extra kick in the flavor is in order, and I love a long finish.
    Boy's we seem to be putting together a real exotic beauty, in either version I think we should be pretty happy with the outcome.
    Hey Alex, based on your knowledge of all the cigars out there, when we have a binder selected would you offer your opinion on what this blend we have created might be similar to, if you can think of something already in the marketplace?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm going to go with the Habano Copan Honduras (spicy and sweet with a rich overtone and long finish) because I do love a cigar with good spice and a long finish. I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really excited about this deal!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:

the 5 country thing has me, besides I think with the sweet we have already a little extra kick in the flavor is in order, and I love a long finish.
    Boy's we seem to be putting together a real exotic beauty, in either version I think we should be pretty happy with the outcome.
    Hey Alex, based on your knowledge of all the cigars out there, when we have a binder selected would you offer your opinion on what this blend we have created might be similar to, if you can think of something already in the marketplace?
    to be honest, the way this is shaping up, we may have to many unique ingredients. Looks like it is going to be 6 different tobaccos from 5 countries. My hunch is that when we get the samples, we are going to want to take out one of the fillers but we can cross that bridge when we get there.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

me? picking the honduran tobacco? i never woulda guessed.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes) for me also
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Habano Jalapa Nicaragua (reddish wrapper that is thin with a distinct sweetness)