Home Non Cigar Related

My daugther interviewed in the newspaper.

smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
So my daughter played a major role in a food drive held at her school this year. Her and 2 of her classmates were interviewed and it was printed in the local paper here in Richmond. I have sent the link to a few of the members here but wanted everyone to get the chance to read this. My daughter Rayn (rain) has made my wife and I proud of her over the years and this is one of the moments that I feel blessed to be her father.

LINKED

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Congrats on that. Always good to see kids doing something positive.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Our children learn by the examples we, as parents set. Thanks for sharing that.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    HENRICO, Va. -- One of the qualities educators want to instill in their charges is a willingness to give of themselves. Another is an awareness of the world around them.

Give the teachers and administrators at Varina Elementary School and Mehfoud Elementary School in eastern Henrico County an A for their success in those subjects. And while you're at it, give the schools' students an A-plus.

The two next-door sister schools — Varina serves third through fifth grades, Mehfoud kindergarten through second grade — recently held a food drive. They gathered 648 pounds of food.

"A lot of the families are part of our school community," said Dina Thibodeau, school counselor and Student Council Association sponsor at Varina Elementary. "Our kids know a lot of them."

Thibodeau and Varina Principal Mark Tyler had ample help from the students, especially from SCA officers and representatives who got the word out to their classrooms. The PTA pitched in as well.

Rayn Robinson is Varina Elementary's SCA president. Twin brothers Jonathan and Andrew LaPrade are vice president and secretary-treasurer, respectively. They said the food drive was divided into three weeks to meet the needs of the church's food pantry.

"The first week we brought in breakfast items," Andrew said.

"The second week we brought in snacks," Jonathan said.

"The third week we brought in canned foods," Rayn said.

All three of the officers already are aiming for a college education. Rayn said she wants to be a doctor. Andrew said he is going to study films and become a movie director. Jonathan was less certain about a career choice. He mentioned becoming a pilot but didn't rule out acting in his brother's films.

Besides the three weeks of having students bring food to school, the drive included a carnival at which a food donation was the price of admission. One popular attraction was a dunk tank. Tyler was one of the dunkees.

"It was a chilly day, and I was dunked probably about 10 to 12 times," Tyler said. "It was worth it to have the people in the community come out and be part of our food drive."

The drive by the two schools is part of the broad community support of the Central Virginia Food Bank and its distribution partners, about 400 of them, such as Varina Episcopal.

Brenda Miller, food and fund drive manager for the food bank, pointed out that in 2011, 71.5 percent of its food came from food drives — many of them organized in schools — and food donors.

The food bank is part of FeedMore, the umbrella agency that includes Meals on Wheels and Community Kitchen and distributed more than 19 million pounds of food in its 2010-11 fiscal year.

The food bank and its partners serve people in five cities and 31 counties.

Rayn said the food drive made one thing clear. "It's good to help out other kids who don't have as much as you do," she said, "and it's generous and very kind, so this is something I want to continue myself."
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I was impressed with what I read so I thought I would post the interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats bro.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got a great family, Smoke'em, and I love reading things like this about 'em. Way to go, Rayn, I'm proud of you.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments fellas. I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to read it.

Rodney thanks for posting it for me, I wanted to try formatting a post with a link for the first time so I went that route..lol
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    Great article. Congratulations Rayn, and to you too dad.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    That is so awesome, bro! It's not often that the younger generation take it upon themselves to do something for anyone other than themselves. But, when they do I feel better knowing that there are a few out there trying to make the world a better place for everyone. Congratulations to your daughter, and congratulations to you for instilling a sense of helpfulness in her.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    AWESOMENESS!!! I firmly believe that one of the keys to a happy life is serving something (or somethingS) greater than yourself. Your daughter seems to have figured this out a lot sooner in life than most! Proud papa, and reflects well on you and your wife as parents as well. :-)

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again everybody. A few years back around the holidays my wife and I decided that our girls should start donating things that they no longer play with or have outgrown since they would be receiving so many gifts/blessings for the holidays. I will admit that it was tough for them to grasp at first, then we went on to explain to them that my wife and I have always provided them with what they need and more and that there are plenty of people (kids in particular) that must go without. Now when the holidays roll around my kids are the ones that look forward to donating items to others. So when I read Rayn's last comment in the article i knew it wasnt something that was just MADE UP to make the story sound good.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude that is really awesome. Great to hear things like this. I don't have kids or married etc but reading this stuff makes me want a juice box.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Dude that is really awesome. Great to hear things like this. I don't have kids or married etc but reading this stuff makes me want a juice box.
    LMAO, where do you come up with some of this stuff????? Very awesome read. The wife works for MDA as a fundraiser and every year at the Muscle Walk, there is a team of kids (ie 15-18 years old) that raise A LOT of money. Their parents tell them that they have to find one charity to donate their time to. It truly is an amazing thing. Oh, and they have a blast doing it!
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Awesome for your daughter. Congratulations.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Cant an Asian brother speak his mind in the U S of A? This is why I came to this country gosh darnit!
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!