Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Olde World, Natural, Toro

Wow, I just finished smoking this cigar and I am blown away. I was very impressed with this cigar. I am not good at reviewing cigars like kuzi but this was an 8.5 out of 10. I didn't want this cigar to end. It probably took a good 90 minutes to smoke, but somehow this wasn't enough. This is the first cigar I'm smoking that I definately want to order many more. Let me know who else has smoked this cigar and what you thought of it.

Comments

• pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I'm not much of a rating writer either but I throughly enjoyed this smoke also.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Dean:
    Wow, I just finished smoking this cigar and I am blown away. I was very impressed with this cigar. I am not good at reviewing cigars like kuzi but this was an 8.5 out of 10. I didn't want this cigar to end. It probably took a good 90 minutes to smoke, but somehow this wasn't enough. This is the first cigar I'm smoking that I definately want to order many more. Let me know who else has smoked this cigar and what you thought of it.
    i have one in my humidor and have been wanting to try it. corpjp and honduran....im usually a fan. RP... not so much but i have hope for this.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Dean, I have one waiting for me to take it outside.. I enjoy so many of the Patel line that this one should also prove to be a pleasant smoke.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I've tried both the Corojo and the Maduro, and my preference is the Corojo, very nice smoke.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I've tried them also, and they are a real nice smoke. My only complaint is I was going to order a box, but only 10 in a box. Went to another site and the sell only a 50 count box. Whats up with that? IMHO all cigars should be sold the following way single, ten box, 25 count box.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Yea, I don't undertand why they sell boxes of that quantity. A smoke I like is sold in boxes of 50 or 105. I won't lay out that kind of money for a box, not at once at least (besides I don't have room for that many). Boxes of 20-25 is about right.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you guys I think it should be singles, bundles of 10 and boxes of 20 or 25.
    RP sells strange box sizes... the edge comes in 50 or 110 (not too sure about the 110) just ... WTF?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    RP sells strange box sizes... the edge comes in 50 or 110 (not too sure about the 110) just ... WTF?
    I haven't seen the 110 count. I've seen a 20 count and a 100 count for the edge, and a 25 count for the edge missile.

I can understand marketing a box of that size to a retailer, but let's face it, not many of the guys on this forum are going to shell out $500 at one time unless that is the only cigar they smoke, in which case $500 for a 100 count box isn't so bad a deal. Seems like funky marketing strategy to me.
    i seem to remember (right as i was first getting into cigars) that there was a cigar that was only sold to B&Ms. they wouldnt sell to cigar.com or other online retailers. I wonder if this is kinda the same thing.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    i seem to remember (right as i was first getting into cigars) that there was a cigar that was only sold to B&Ms. they wouldnt sell to cigar.com or other online retailers.
    Was that the JFR? (Or JFS, or something like that.)
    iduno. the name has been on the tip of my tongue all day but i cant seem to get it...
    ok back to the namesake of the thread.
    I smoked mine today. lets just say i was a bit unimpressed. I had high hopes for it but it fell short.

ill put the full review up soon.
    Damn, really? I look forward to the review.
    yeah i know. i was kind asurprised too. I thought that with the combination of tobacco in there and the time it spent in the humidor i would like it more and it would have fewer burn issues.
    It had burn issues? REALLY? Now that surprises me, this is the box pressed right?
    kuzi16:
    yeah i know. i was kind asurprised too. I thought that with the combination of tobacco in there and the time it spent in the humidor i would like it more and it would have fewer burn issues.
    Yeah, that's too bad, kuzi. Burn issues are a real buzzkill.
    madurofan:
    It had burn issues? REALLY? Now that surprises me, this is the box pressed right?
    yup. iduno what happened. i coulda blamed it on the humidor if i never rotated my cigars or if the burn issues were all on one side but they were rotated and they werent on the same side. I was really looking forward to finding a RP that could have a home in my humi. Maybe the maduro will be better.
    AHHHHHHH this was the natural, shoulda read the title. I have not partaken in the natural, only the maduro. Try the maduro.
    You said you haven't had the Nicarao nor the Nording correct? Do you have either of these in the collection?
    nope i hesitate to buy RP becfause of my past with them
    hmmm ... ok
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I had my first bad experience with a Rock today. The connecticut. The entire stick tasted stale. I mean like a Dutch Master Treat that was left in your car for months. But I worked on it for half an hour and couldn't stand it anymore. Burn was fine, it was in the same humidor as 100 others that never present a problem, it was not a storage, humidifacation problem. Just taste awful. Score 99 great --1 terrible. I still love Patel Products just one bad stick. P.S Not to slam Dutch Masters just to give an example of how improper storage will affect any cigar. ;) ..
    My RP mega-sampler arrived today, along with the Double Maduro Lancero's that were on special (and several other samplers). These will be my first experience with RP. (Be gentle with me, Rocky.) I didn't have time to explore them much, but one thing that did jump out at me as I moved them into the humi is that the Vintage 92 is a very nice looking cigar.
    my review is up.
    I hope mine was just a bad one.
    I experienced very similar traits tonight, dammit RP you're making me look bad!
    The Vintage 92 and 90 are VERY good cigars.
    madurofan:
    The Vintage 92 and 90 are VERY good cigars.
    for a rocky patel.
    Oh we got a funny guy! You're right though for an RP they are very good cigar, if they were Gurkha's they'd be the best thing they've ever put out ;).
    madurofan:
    Oh we got a funny guy! You're right though for an RP they are very good cigar, if they were Gurkha's they'd be the best thing they've ever put out ;).
    HA!
    i think they are the best that RP has to offer. ...well... the sungrown is good too.