Home Pipes

Pipe Tobacco storage

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
My first Pipe post! yay

so back in November Wes sent me a small pipe and a bunch of tobacco to try... ochozacho also sent me some Holiday blend and house blend from his local spot (both were AMAZING BTW)... I fired the pipe up about 15 times or so, but haven't messed with it since early January... I left all the tobacco in the original ziplocks and put them all in on tupperware... I never thought to humidify it or anything... is this stuff toast or can it be salvaged? As for the aromatic stuff, do you need to store them apparently or an I just leave then in their individual zip locks like I have? Thanks!

IMG_20120709_155607

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If it's dried out a bit, you can easily moisten it a bit. Just pour the tobacco onto a plate and cover with a damp paper towel for a little while...check every so often with the pinch test, if you take a pinch of tobacco between your thumb and forefinger and it holds together lightly then falls apart after releasing it then your moisture level is pretty good. Keep in mind that pipe tobacco does better at a much lower rh% than cigars, generally going straight from a tin to a sealable jar is sufficient to store it for a good long time.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Thanks Joe! Yeah, It's basically been in the zip locks the whole time, so I think it should be good... i'm guessing a jar is better for storage than ziplocks... I'm a complete pipe noob... so it;s all pretty foreign to me...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    Thanks Joe! Yeah, It's basically been in the zip locks the whole time, so I think it should be good... i'm guessing a jar is better for storage than ziplocks... I'm a complete pipe noob... so it;s all pretty foreign to me...
    I'm gonna shoot you a pm in a bit here regarding jars, give me a few mins and check your inbox.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    j0z3r:
    robbyras:
    I'm gonna shoot you a pm in a bit here regarding jars, give me a few mins and check your inbox.
    will do, thanks!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    From what I read it is pretty forgving. As long as you keep it sealed good you can keep it without much maintenance.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I seriously doubt that the tobacco has even lost moister at this point. I would just get some small mason/ball jars (4 oz. or 8 oz) works great and put it in. If you want to age the tobacco instead of just store it you need to get a vacuum seal on it. There are ways to do that too but for now just getting it into proper storage would be the best thing to do.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Long term aging put the mason jar in the microwave for 2 minutes after washing it. Let sit until you can hold it with a paper towel and not burn your hands. Put the tobacco in 3/4 full and put the lid on. The rubber seal on the lid will heat up and seal beautifully. When the oxygen in the jar is used up the tobacco will start aging.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Guess I'll be picking up a couple cases of jars now lol
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping up an old thread. 

Just wondering if there's an ideal place to store your tobacco once it's been transferred into mason jars. I've seen a few guys referring to their "pipe cellars". This lead me to believe a cool, damp place is best for storing. Is that the case? 

I was planning to build some sort of shelf in my study (which gets a lot of sun) to store the jars. Will the light harm the tobacco?
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't want direct sunlight, just like cigars. Relatively dark, room temp.

I keep my jars in a chest and on shelves on a fold-out bar. A little light isn't a proble., but I wouldn't want them to sit in the sun all day everyday.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I've got a giant empty drawer in the roll top desk, so I guess the jars will go in there then. That'll keep them out of the sun. Saves me building shelving too lol. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my fond memories from spending so mich time over there growing up was the old roll top desk in the study. Still think those are wicked cool to this day. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Ageed, I will never buy a modern piece of furniture aside from a couch. Everything I own is pre-1940
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some shelving in the basement I annexed. I left the jars in their cardboard flats from the store and reinforced those with a strip of tape around the outside . It's much easier to deal with them 12 at a time.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some shelving in the basement I annexed. I left the jars in their cardboard flats from the store and reinforced those with a strip of tape around the outside . It's much easier to deal with them 12 at a time.
    It sounds like your tobacco storage is along the quantity of @Sketch6995 's tower for cigars.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    It sounds like your tobacco storage is along the quantity of @Sketch6995 's tower for cigars.
    Lol that’s a yup. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."