Home Ratings & Reviews

Go to cigar

My go to cigar is the Padilla Habano, every time I smoke one of these guy it is consistantly good....and I always keep a dozen or two on hand

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    RP Edge Maduro Torpedo by itself. When I need a bourbon AND a cigar its Evan Williams Single Barrel or Elijiah Craig and a CAO MX-2
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    5 vegas series A. usually in the toro but im findint the robusto more and more enjoyable.
    honorable mention would be the punch gran puro, and carlos torano vertuoso.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Fuente hemingway or the sun grown the only two I buy boxes of to keep on hand.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hopefully, it's still the Hemingway for me, too.

I'll tell you what, though, for a mild cigar, that R&J Reserva Real made a big impression the other night.

madurofan:
    RP Edge Maduro Torpedo by itself. When I need a bourbon AND a cigar its Evan Williams Single Barrel or Elijiah Craig and a CAO MX-2
    Have you tried Rock Creek Farms, maddy? It's stout (110 proof, IIRC), but smooooooth.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    It use to be Bauza by Fuentes, but since I bought boxes of the 5Vegas Classic Torpedos and Robustos, and 5 Vegas A Artisan, this is what I find most often in my hand. I like the Carlos Torano Signature too> very nice for a low low price.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't have one particular "go to" cigar as I'm still in the "try everything I can" phase, however, if I had to choose right now, I'd say a Punch punch, natural wrapper. As far as quality vs price goes, this is one of the better cigars I've had. And there is a local guy who rolls his own cigars, and the one i sampled from him was very, very good, so I could make his cigars an everyday smoke as well very easily.
    urbino:
    Have you tried Rock Creek Farms, maddy? It's stout (110 proof, IIRC), but smooooooth.
    Nooooo I haven't even seen it. 110 proof Bourbon you say? Virginia probably has a ban against that, it has to be unholy somehow. I'll be on the lookout though.
    j0z3r:
    I don't have one particular "go to" cigar as I'm still in the "try everything I can" phase, however, if I had to choose right now, I'd say a Punch punch, natural wrapper. As far as quality vs price goes, this is one of the better cigars I've had. And there is a local guy who rolls his own cigars, and the one i sampled from him was very, very good, so I could make his cigars an everyday smoke as well very easily.
    I'm starting to enjoy Punch's more and more have you tried the Champion yet? My new favorite short smoke. Its even a perfecto, I fell slightly in love.
    madurofan:
    Nooooo I haven't even seen it. 110 proof Bourbon you say? Virginia probably has a ban against that, it has to be unholy somehow. I'll be on the lookout though.
    Oops. Got the name wrong. It's Rock Hill Farm. Very few bars have it, but most good liquor stores should. It's made by the Buffalo Trace people.
    Well here in VA there is no such thing as a good liquor store, they are all state owned. I'll definetly be on the lookout. What does it run a bottle?
    Not cheap: $40-45, usually. But it's sippin' whiskey. It is for me, anyway.
    40-45 is doable. I will not pay over $50, just my threshold. If I can't find any here maybe we'll have to arrange a trade. A mason jar's worth for some cigars or something along those lines.
    Suits me. But if you're going to drink whiskey from a Mason jar, don't you have to be in West Virginia?
    Urbino.. What state is best known for homemade whiskey makers anyway. I have heard the term Tennessee moonshine.
    Well ACTUALLY more moonshine comes out of VA than WV. The county I lived in ffor 5 years out in the mountains, is quite proud of the fact that they are the moonshine capital of the world. They have had the two largest black pot busts in US history. Look up Franklin County, VA. MMMMM I miss the corn liquor. Second I wouldn't actually drink it from the mason jar just thought it would be a good way to trade a small amount unless you wanna send it in a 20 oz coke bottle, but plastic harms alcohol IMO. We might have to talk about that when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the heads up :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I'm starting to enjoy Punch's more and more have you tried the Champion yet? My new favorite short smoke. Its even a perfecto, I fell slightly in love.
    I've had a champion in my humidor for several months now, haven't found the occasion to enjoy it yet. I think it will be enjoyable though when I do settle down to smoke it.
    Too true, kas. Too true.

That doesn't surprise me, maddy. It's just that I remembered Virginians are fond of jokes at their western neighbor's expense. As for a container, I've got an empty Balvenie bottle I can use. I kept it around because I just liked the design so much, but I've never found any use for it. Hopefully, putting bourbon in a scotch bottle won't cause an eruption of some kind.

Anyway, we'll figure it out when you get back from vaycay.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    The county I lived in ffor 5 years out in the mountains, is quite proud of the fact that they are the moonshine capital of the world.
    I would love to do a bit of a trade. ... but the wife would kill me dead.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I love to sample all different kinds of cigars but I, as does everyone, have a few favorites.  If I had to pick the most dependable cigar that I can always count on then I'd have to say the Onyx Reserve Robusto. Always such a smooth and rich cigar that is one of the darkest Maduros I've seen.  The burn is always consistant and perfect draw.  My back up would have to be a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992.
    I'd love to trade some moonshine with you guys but for some reason I think that could end up being several felony counts for me. Thankfully it is not illegal to posses bc I did not pay for it, as I understand the law. But if you guys ever make it this way let me know before and I'll try to make sure there is some white lightening around :).

Side note my wife once told me she'd kill me to death.
    urbino:
    Too true, kas. Too true.

That doesn't surprise me, maddy. It's just that I remembered Virginians are fond of jokes at their western neighbor's expense. As for a container, I've got an empty Balvenie bottle I can use. I kept it around because I just liked the design so much, but I've never found any use for it. Hopefully, putting bourbon in a scotch bottle won't cause an eruption of some kind.

Anyway, we'll figure it out when you get back from vaycay.
    Sounds good to me. Bourbon in a Scotch bottle should hold together ok. Irish Whisky in a Scotch bottle would likely kill you while you tried to start pouring.
    Oh and we are quite fond of making fun of West Virginians but more for their "family decisions" than their liquor choice. P.S. my wife lived in WV for a short time as I child, my dad likes to tell her she has one leg shorter than the other. Its an incestual adaptation that allows them to walk on mountains. LOL
    madurofan:
    Sounds good to me. Bourbon in a Scotch bottle should hold together ok. Irish Whisky in a Scotch bottle would likely kill you while you tried to start pouring.
    Ha. Yeah, and you'd have all those extra "e"s left over from the Scotch, floating around in the Irish.
    Hey Maduro and Urbino, I was thinking the very same thing .. This site will be closed by the department of Alcohol Firearms and Tobacco if you guys keep talking that way. Remember to always use our CODEWORDS.
    Right. What I meant to say was I'll send maddy a jigger of banana butter in exchange for some of momma's silk doilies.
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    If I had to pick one go to cigar it would have to be a A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Never lets me down. Always awesome. And if I was rich enough a Padron Serie 1926 Maduro would be in there also.
    Urbino, You crack me up, Have you ever thought of taking your comedy show on the road ?
    Heh. Thanks, kas, but no. Sounds like too much work. Besides, to have any success, I'd have to find a couple dozen more like you and take you on the road with me.
    Urbino, Were you suggesting you need people willing to pay admission to see your show, or other comics willing to take audience abuse while they get completely drunk. I would be willing to do either.