Home Non Cigar Related

The R.N.C.

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
So here are my thoughts after night one (and yes, I watched)...

---Ann Romney...very nice speech and well delivered. I dont think you have any idea what the "common folk" go through as hard as you may try and say otherwise, but you humanixzed Mitt very well and are quite likeable I must say.

---Chris Christie...I love hearing you speak. Even though I cant stand alot of what you say, youre always fun to listen to and passionate about what you say. This said...was this your acceptance speech or was it about Mitt? Sounded like your just preparing for '16 and throwing in the towel for 4 more years. Mitt looked somewhere between angry and dumbfounded as you went on for 20 minutes before even mentioning him

---Nikki Haley...You come off a little better than Palin, but not by much. Is there really a problem with illegal immigants and voter fraud in South Carolina? Cmon lady. AND what seems to be the theme of the night...how about talking about Mitt?

---Rick Santorum... I like hearing you as well and I respect your very real convictions (though I disagree with most of them and find you phony). AGAIN, did you win or did Mitt? And Im glad your a family man, but shame on you for playing the sympathy card and touting off about your retarded child...we had that last election cycle

So the theme overall seemed two fold. One was talking about Mitt after evveryone soothed their own ego for a while. Second was to talk about their family lineage and granparents moving to the US from a foreign land and working hard to improve their lot in life. Not sure if this was to inspire, or remind people that upward mobility has become harder and harder with each generation and to better oneself, even with hard work, often feels like a thing of the past.

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I watched parts between cooking and playing with the dog. Overall, I can't say much more than "Meh". There were some good rehashes of stump speeches and lively speakers, but the whole night made the Republicans feel more like a loose collection of big personalities than a unified party with a coherent platform. Like I said, meh.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Yea, some of the touchie feelie stuff sounded like the Dems.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I missed the coverage. Did Chris Christie deliver his speech in English or in his native language, Huttese?
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    the whole night made the Republicans feel more like a loose collection of big personalities than a unified party with a coherent platform.
    +1
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Is it just me, or does Christie "remind" anybody else of a conservative Harry Truman?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    It's cute how Romney is so wooden and he always sends Ann out to talk "to" the common folk.
    .. should have had Gov Brewer make a speech after Ann Romney. I sell some anti wrinkle/aging creme that would really help both of them.
    JDH:
    Is it just me, or does Christie "remind" anybody else of a conservative Harry Truman?
    He reminds me of a certain intergalactic crime boss who has Han Solo decorating his rec room wall.
    What? No comments as to the content of their speeches? Just silly ridicule and name calling? Typical of liberal posters. I'm just sayin. You guys prove it every time.
    Ann Romney's speech was dignified and positive, IMO. Can't wait to see the parade of angry women the Dems will put up.
    beatnic:
    What? No comments as to the content of their speeches? Just silly ridicule and name calling? Typical of liberal posters. I'm just sayin. You guys prove it every time.
    He made a speech?
    y2pascoe:
    beatnic:
    He made a speech?
    Oh wait. I found a pic of him enjoying a snack after he finished with his keynote address.

Hey... hey guys, stop having fun. No fun is to be had in this forum. All politics must be deadly serious.

Seriously, it is the RNC, which, just like the DNC has turned into a parade of the big names of each party getting cheap pops from a sympathetic crowd. The only thing interesting to come out of either convention anymore is the platform which, thankfully, the various candidates don't feel the need to adhere to 100%. Otherwise, it is a rehash of things we have heard before, people jockeying for position for the next election cycle if their candidate doesn't win and generally a big party group hug. And yes, they both seem silly to me, with the overblown speeches and posturing. It is like watching wrestling promos while knowing that Romney will not be leg dropping anyone that night. All build up, no pay off.

Side note, I now believe all elections should be decided in the squared circle.
    jthanatos:
    Hey... hey guys, stop having fun. No fun is to be had in this forum. All politics must be deadly serious.

Seriously, it is the RNC, which, just like the DNC has turned into a parade of the big names of each party getting cheap pops from a sympathetic crowd. The only thing interesting to come out of either convention anymore is the platform which, thankfully, the various candidates don't feel the need to adhere to 100%. Otherwise, it is a rehash of things we have heard before, people jockeying for position for the next election cycle if their candidate doesn't win and generally a big party group hug. And yes, they both seem silly to me, with the overblown speeches and posturing. It is like watching wrestling promos while knowing that Romney will not be leg dropping anyone that night. All build up, no pay off.

Side note, I now believe all elections should be decided in the squared circle.
    I hope V.P. Biden speaks at the D.N.C. The bat-sh*t crazy things that come out of his mouth are pure gold.
    beatnic:
    I think some are just having fun, and I think my entire first post was comments as to the content of the speeches. I could get more specific if you would like, but for time sake I summarized my feeings and thoughts on their speeches.
    I will also give an "fair and balanced" recap of the D.N.C. when it comes as well.
    No, Vulch. Your comments were well put. But you see the bandwagon. The networks are out there doing the same thing. Its' amazing that they watched the same speeches I did.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    beatnic:

x2
    fla-gypsy:
    beatnic:

x2
    Well, don't look at me.........all I said was that Christie kind of reminds me of Truman (even though I really can't actually remember Truman).
    JDH:
    fla-gypsy:
    beatnic:

x2
    Well, don't look at me.........all I said was that Christie kind of reminds me of Truman (even though I really can't actually remember Truman).
    Feelin guilty, JD? LOL
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    fla-gypsy:
    beatnic:

x2
    Feelin guilty, JD? LOL
    Not really. I think Truman was a great President - a man who made tough decisions, and who was known for being blunt and tough. Kind of like Christie.
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Anyone notice how much Ann Romney sounds like Sarah Palin?
    ctschirgi:
    Anyone notice how much Ann Romney sounds like Sarah Palin?
    She's got way more class and brains than Palin, and I've never heard her once say youbetcha.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listened to a little of Ryan's speech on my way home last night. I heard the part about Pres. Obama visiting a GM plant in WI, telling the workers that with Government help the plant would be open another hundred years, or more. The plant was closed by the end of the next year, blame for which was then hinted to be Obama's fault.
    Which, of course, it wasn't, but then neither was half the crap Bush got blamed for his fault, either.
    I think that Obama's problem, at that time, was that he believed that since the taxpayer had bailed out all the Banksters that crashed the world economy, made sure that their empires remained intact and they still got their 10 million dollar bonuses, even though their pyramid schemes, or "bubbles" as they like to call them totally failed, that they would then re-invest in the people who bailed them out.

Naive.
    So, here we are, Wall St. is on it's feet and back to their old tricks (see recent news on Jamie Dimon), fat dumb & happy to sit on our cash, or invest it elsewhere, continuing to suck jobs away from America.

I must say that I liked Ryan's tone, and some portions of his message. If he were talking about doing to the Pentagon budget what he wants to do to the money I've invested for > 40 years in Medicare and Social Security, we might have a bright future ahead were he and Romney elected.

I can't buy into his notion that the safety nets we've created are "entitlements", at least not for those of us who have spent a lifetime paying into them. If he'll start talking about reclaiming the Social Security money that Congrease appropriated for uses other than intended, I'll listen. If he has a viable plan for Medicare management that includes recognizing when it's time to stop, and this is TOUGH, stop resuscitating people who have NO viable life left, I'll listen.

And yes, I know, that last one sounds heartless to most of you. But, then, most of you haven't had to repeatedly code a 90 year old, breaking their ribs under your hands during CPR, 90 year olds who haven't spoken in 2 years, can't walk, don't know how to feed themselves, or what their own name is, and yet we keep on pushing, keeping them alive, because someone, somewhere, is getting "a check". Then you struggle to keep them alive, which we do, for another few miserable weeks of pain. This is medicare money that is not well spent, and we're spending a lot of it.
    On the other hand, I heard a speaker on NPR the other day do a breakdown on what it costs just to de-commission a single Aircraft carrier, which we do every 5 years and build another one. 2 billion to decommission the old one, would have covered all the joint replacements medicare paid for last year. The 5 billion for the new one, also every 5 years, would go a long way, too.

At any rate, Mr. Ryan came off as believable. I think he's sincere, and very smart, although possibly misled.

Still, I'm voting Gary Johnson, the guy now standing in Ron Paul's formerly invisible shoes.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw Clint's speech on the news this morning, it had been reviewed as being rambling & disjointed, etc. I found it to be nothing of the sort. Seemed relevant, humorous, and made many good points, at least to my way of thinking. Perhaps the reviewer is guilty of some of that media conspiracy mindset.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    I listened to a little of Ryan's speech on my way home last night. I heard the part about Pres. Obama visiting a GM plant in WI, telling the workers that with Government help the plant would be open another hundred years, or more. The plant was closed by the end of the next year, blame for which was then hinted to be Obama's fault.
    Which, of course, it wasn't, but then neither was half the crap Bush got blamed for his fault, either.
    I think that Obama's problem, at that time, was that he believed that since the taxpayer had bailed out all the Banksters that crashed the world economy, made sure that their empires remained intact and they still got their 10 million dollar bonuses, even though their pyramid schemes, or "bubbles" as they like to call them totally failed, that they would then re-invest in the people who bailed them out.

Naive.
    So, here we are, Wall St. is on it's feet and back to their old tricks (see recent news on Jamie Dimon), fat dumb & happy to sit on our cash, or invest it elsewhere, continuing to suck jobs away from America.

I must say that I liked Ryan's tone, and some portions of his message. If he were talking about doing to the Pentagon budget what he wants to do to the money I've invested for > 40 years in Medicare and Social Security, we might have a bright future ahead were he and Romney elected.

I can't buy into his notion that the safety nets we've created are "entitlements", at least not for those of us who have spent a lifetime paying into them. If he'll start talking about reclaiming the Social Security money that Congrease appropriated for uses other than intended, I'll listen. If he has a viable plan for Medicare management that includes recognizing when it's time to stop, and this is TOUGH, stop resuscitating people who have NO viable life left, I'll listen.

And yes, I know, that last one sounds heartless to most of you. But, then, most of you haven't had to repeatedly code a 90 year old, breaking their ribs under your hands during CPR, 90 year olds who haven't spoken in 2 years, can't walk, don't know how to feed themselves, or what their own name is, and yet we keep on pushing, keeping them alive, because someone, somewhere, is getting "a check". Then you struggle to keep them alive, which we do, for another few miserable weeks of pain. This is medicare money that is not well spent, and we're spending a lot of it.
    On the other hand, I heard a speaker on NPR the other day do a breakdown on what it costs just to de-commission a single Aircraft carrier, which we do every 5 years and build another one. 2 billion to decommission the old one, would have covered all the joint replacements medicare paid for last year. The 5 billion for the new one, also every 5 years, would go a long way, too.

At any rate, Mr. Ryan came off as believable. I think he's sincere, and very smart, although possibly misled.

Still, I'm voting Gary Johnson, the guy now standing in Ron Paul's formerly invisible shoes.
    Spot on analysis, I think, except I don't know much about Gary Johnson, and I don't think Ryan is misled, I think he's confused.
    JDH:
    Amos Umwhat:

Naive.

Spot on analysis, I think, except I don't know much about Gary Johnson, and I don't think Ryan is misled, I think he's confused.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/08/30/160301854/fact-checkers-say-some-of-ryans-claims-dont-add-up

Ryan has readily voted to raise our debt. He voted for both rounds of tax cuts during the Bush admin, he voted for medicare part D which was unpayed for he voted for the wars, his budget which he put out twice does not cut the deficit actually raises it and the money that he and others in the GOP claim to be cuts from medicare are not cuts from the "medicare" plan for seniors but are cuts to insurance companies, offices, and mostly from medicare part D. Obama care puts that money back into the program for seniors where it should be. Also Romney seems to really want to gin up more war. I was appalled at him talking about Russia the way he did as well as poking at Iran. He also didn't say anything about what he would do as far as actual plans. His speech was half about how he grew up and his great family, 1/4 about how much obama has sucked, 1/4 lies, misdirection, how he's the answer. What wasn't in there was how he left his own state, how he actually saved the Olympics and how his company tore up and took away from other businesses and their workers.
    http://www.politifact.com

Not sure if this has been posted before by me, but I enjoy reading this for fact checking. It depresses me that neither side can seem to inch above averaging half truths. It is kind of interesting that in my (completely unscientific, and based on my faulty memory) perusing of this site, that Republicans for the most part are either fully/mostly true in their statements, or pants on fire lying. Democrats seem to stay mostly in the half truth double speak area. Makes me not want to let either hold my wallet.

Heck, I would go so far to say, if one politician could make it through an election without dipping below "mostly true", they would get my vote whether I agreed with all their stances or not.*

*jThanatos is actually against supporting any candidate for any reason, ever.