Home General Discussion

Just bought my first house!!!!

I'm about to toast one up to celebrate the biggest/scariest/most exciting purchase of my life!!!!!!! Just thought I'd share the good news.

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Matt, congrats on your purchase! I really hope everything goes as good as it sounds. In fact, congratulations generally on all of the great things going on for you.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    I'm about to toast one up to celebrate the biggest/scariest/most exciting purchase of my life!!!!!!! Just thought I'd share the good news.
    That is great! Congrats on the big purchase and I hope you have many years of fun in the new house. I may smoke a Nording in your honor when I get off work today!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Congrats brother! On the marriage and the house. Sounds like life is going well for you, enjoy!
  • Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    Party at your house!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they say that getting married and buying a house are two of the most stressful things you can do in your life. youve done both within six months of each other. I did the same. congrats on the house and the wife. now start convincing the wife on the building a walk in humidor.
    I did the same as well. It is stressfull thats for sure.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    thats awsome! its got a smoking room right?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I'm looking to do the same this year. Congrats man!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've got the marrige and the first child, hopefully we will be looking for the first house next year. Right now with the little one still so young an apartment isn't bad at all. Once he gets a little older he is going to need a big back yard to play in and a big dog to run around and play with.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Thanks everyone!!!! There's a lot on our plate right now there's no doubt about it but we're both making descent money (enough to pay the bills) and we found a little fixer upper in a neighborhood we both love. It was hard to pass up the price along with the 8k stimulus package that goes to first time home buyers this year.

For a little celebration I just enjoyed my first 5 Vegas 'A' and have to say for the price it might be the best damn "every day" cigar I've smoked yet! On deck is a cuban cabinet.............
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Congrats OT-GO, Nothing like your own place.
  • bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    Congratulations, the first house is always special. moving on the other hand sucks. No rush on the first kid though - your cirgar budget will go out the window. but i'm assuming they're worth it... guess i'll find out later this year.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Congrats on the house. I'm really thinking about taking the plunge and buying a house in the near future. The market is ridiculous with all the bank owned houses out there...really nice houses that sold new for 3-4 times what they are listed for now. Not an easy decision to make though, I just see all the potential bad that can happen and it seems to weigh evenly with the good.I don't know, choices choices.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Congrats on the house. I'm really thinking about taking the plunge and buying a house in the near future. The market is ridiculous with all the bank owned houses out there...really nice houses that sold new for 3-4 times what they are listed for now. Not an easy decision to make though, I just see all the potential bad that can happen and it seems to weigh evenly with the good.I don't know, choices choices.
    As long as you can make your mortgage payments (and maybe pay a little more to pay down the principal) the benefits vastly outweigh the bad. If you're gonna do it, Joseph, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Congrats on the house !!!
  • Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    congrats on the house purchase!
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Interest rates are as low as there going to be right now - they'll do nothing but go up after this year and possibly WAAAAAY up!
    Luko:
    j0z3r:
    As long as you can make your mortgage payments (and maybe pay a little more to pay down the principal) the benefits vastly outweigh the bad. If you're gonna do it, Joseph, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
    I know...that's why I'm giving it such thought. I need to get serious PDQ if that is the route I'm going though. It's a big damn decision to make, by far it would be the largest purchase I've made thus far and that right there is scary enough.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    j0z3r:
    I know...that's why I'm giving it such thought. I need to get serious PDQ if that is the route I'm going though. It's a big damn decision to make, by far it would be the largest purchase I've made thus far and that right there is scary enough.
    Nah, try making it when you got a wife and kid (plus one on the way) draining your resources. That's pressure man. You gotta feed these kids and everything.

Just kidding, it's a big deal for anybody, but based on the sounds of house prices (especially out your way) it'll be a good investment. Don't rush, but don't wait too long either. Prices will be down for a little while.
    I've got an eye on one house already, it's a 3 bed/3 bath, two storey 2300 sq. feet, 2001 build in a nice area...right now listed at $123,000. I'd have to see it up close an personal of course, but I like what I see so far just looking at internet listings. We'll see...I should put a call in and go see it some time, couldn't hurt.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Huge congratulations to you! Maybe we all need to have a herf at your place to christen it? Haha.
  • G-ZowG-Zow Posts: 7
    Congrats! Personally i've been looking at foreclosures in the area where I plan to go to college, since spending 19 grand+ on rent for the 4 years im there could go toward much better things, plus the 8 grand for new homeowners isn't much to scoff at either.
    j0z3r:
    I've got an eye on one house already, it's a 3 bed/3 bath, two storey 2300 sq. feet, 2001 build in a nice area...right now listed at $123,000. I'd have to see it up close an personal of course, but I like what I see so far just looking at internet listings. We'll see...I should put a call in and go see it some time, couldn't hurt.
    Holy crap $123k, i SoCal? I thought anything under a million out there was the slums.
    j0z3r:
    Holy crap $123k, in SoCal? I thought anything under a million out there was the slums.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    not now that 1/4 of them are empty!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    ****, I thought the 259k I was looking at was cheap. Damn, I'm moving to SoCal!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Bought my present home at a foreclosure sale 6 years ago ...I've got crazy equity in it . Foreclosures can be good deals but be wary of what people do before they leave/lose them . I was the REO officer for the first bank I worked for before moving on up so ( yeah I was the last person you wanted to hear from) people are devious if backed against a wall...
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    Holy crap $123k, i SoCal? I thought anything under a million out there was the slums.
    Nope. Of course, I don't live in a large metropolitan area, my town is one of those places that rests somewhere between all the bigger cities we all know and love...but, it's nice and pretty quiet, low crime and pretty decent people. I don't mind living off the beaten path a bit, especially for the cost differences.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    jihiggs:
    thats awsome! its got a smoking room right?
    Haha! First thought that jumped into my mind as well. CONGRATS! Hope you got a good stick to celebrate :-p
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    j0z3r:
    WOW...that price in NJ woul get you a shed. I need to move:)