Home Cigar 101

I'm looking for a little bit of an explanation.

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
Can anyone explain to me exactly what a boutique brand is? I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure. Is it just a brand of a different name blended by someone? For instance, La Aroma de Cuba is a boutique made by Ashton. Am I right on this, or is there more to it?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think the distinction is more a reference to the difference between your major production companies, like General Cigar, Altadis... companies that make many different brands. When we start talking boutique, then we're looking at usually smaller companies that put more of an emphasis on quality than quantity, like Ashton, Padilla, Perdomo, Tatuaje, Don Pepin Garcia. In my experience, boutique companies give you some more targeted and interesting tastes, whereas your larger, mass production types are all about homogeny and delivering something everyone can tolerate.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think the distinction is more a reference to the difference between your major production companies, like General Cigar, Altadis... companies that make many different brands. When we start talking boutique, then we're looking at usually smaller companies that put more of an emphasis on quality than quantity, like Ashton, Padilla, Perdomo, Tatuaje, Don Pepin Garcia. In my experience, boutique companies give you some more targeted and interesting tastes, whereas your larger, mass production types are all about homogeny and delivering something everyone can tolerate.
    lemme put it into terms many guys can understand:
    cars

Ford is a standard car company.

Bugatti is the Boutique brand.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Wouldn't it be more like GM is a standard, since it owns several brands, and Bugatti is boutique?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ford owns several brands as well ... Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and formerly Jaguar.
    I did not know that. I really know nothing about cars. I drive a Ford Taurus (I think) and about all I can do is make it go forward. Sometimes, if I'm having a good day, I can make it go where I want it to go in reverse. That is the limit to my knowledge on cars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Ford owns several brands as well ... Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and formerly Jaguar.
    ...volvo, mazda....
    LOL. Please hand us your man card back please.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    ...volvo, mazda....
    No No ... Ford does not own Mazda, they are an investor but not the controlling majority.
    I balance out my lack of car-knowledge with the fact that I started shaving in 5th grade. It's how I (barely) hold on to my man card.
    But the small hands and feet and the lack of car knowledge .... hand over your card. We'll give you some CAO Flavours in exchange for it.
    Ouch! I don't have small hands and feet! I wear a size 14. My hands are average, I guess.
    lol. I had to come back with something ...
    That's actually what she said.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    betasynn:
    I balance out my lack of car-knowledge with the fact that I started shaving in 5th grade. It's how I (barely) hold on to my man card.

Alright I've got you enrolled in your local community college Beta---be there at 6 pm - 9pm mon and wed next week. You will study brands, makes,models and auto history 101. Take a picture of your completion certificate and post in in the forum and your man card is safe !!!
    ...deal. I'll get it.
    betasynn:
    That's actually what she said.
    B@st@rd.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

madurofan:
    But the small hands and feet and the lack of car knowledge .... hand over your card. We'll give you some CAO Flavours in exchange for it.

If you would have thrown in the fact he smelled of cabbage you would be describing a carney more then a man who should lose his card. Though I don't belive carney's count as real people.?.?

Thewelder:

madurofan:

If you would have thrown in the fact he smelled of cabbage you would be describing a carney more then a man who should lose his card. Though I don't belive carney's count as real people.?.?

If they do they shouldn't. If I can rest my sack on the top of your head while we both are standing, you're a different species. I'm jut saying ...
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Thewelder:

madurofan:

If they do they shouldn't. If I can rest my sack on the top of your head while we both are standing, you're a different species. I'm jut saying ...
    For the love of god, man...didn't you already get arrested once for teabagging midgets.
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Thewelder:

madurofan:

For the love of god, man...didn't you already get arrested once for teabagging midgets.
    Dammit your wife swore she wasn't gonna tell you about that.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Thewelder:

madurofan:

Well, I think she was a little offended when you insisted on bringing the gay midget into it.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    wow lol
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Thewelder:

madurofan:

Well, I think she was a little offended when you insisted on bringing the gay midget into it.
    I don't care what she says Duty and the Donkey were all her idea!
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow
    lmao ... its all in good fun.
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow

Wild and crazy guys !!!
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow

Wild and crazy guys !!!
    We keep you young at heart gene. Wow probably a bad phrase to say to a guy who's heart just tried to attack him ...
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow

Wild and crazy guys !!!
    We keep you young at heart gene. Wow probably a bad phrase to say to a guy who's heart just tried to attack him ...

Haha ...Hey I'm still relatively young at 49 Maddy, I'm a long ways from over the hill bro' ...
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow

Wild and crazy guys !!!

Haha ...Hey I'm still relatively young at 49 Maddy, I'm a long ways from over the hill bro' ...
    If less than a year is a long ways ;) ... I'm just teasing ya pops
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    jihiggs:
    wow lol
    yeah....wow

Wild and crazy guys !!!

If less than a year is a long ways ;) ... I'm just teasing ya pops

L.M.A.O.