Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father #3

So this is the Toro sized stick with some good time in the humi and was a gift. I have been wanting to fire up one of these jewels after reading the endless drivel about their awesomeness. I had nice conditions with a little breeze and 70 degrees and water to drink. I will say it was a damn good stick with very nice creamy flavors. Creamy was really what popped up in my mind during the smoke. Construction was great, took flame easily, and burned like a charm with zero issues. I would say med to med+ in the strength department although no discernable buzz or anything. So basically right down my alley. I could easily see making this Toro a regular in my rotation. Now, here is the thing. There is no way I could see myself dropping $7-$10 a stick for these. Were they good? You bet! Was it something where the next mission in life was to acquire more? No. There could be two things at work here: 1) I am just too much of a cheap skate and don't like paying premiums for cigars. Very possible and even likely this is true. 2) There are LOTS of great cigars out there for $3-$4. This is true also. Solution? I would like to buy more at a reasonable price...so will be keeping and eye out for some bargain pricing.

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    this is some nice feedback on a stick I am really looking forward to... I have one on it's way to me and a few more in the works, so I'll be checking it out very soon...

I hear you on the price issues... It's hard to really evaluate price... I mean the MSRP is like $12, but we all know about deals and whatnot, so we can probably get them cheaper... my fist inclination is to post a thread here saying I want to trade for some... that's what I did when I first smoked the CAO Sopranos Edition... Loved it but not gonna drop $13 per stick... so yeah, the first place I go is to my fellow BORKs here and see what I can come up with...

anyway, I like the review... I love a creamy medium bodied smoke... can't wait to fire on up!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'll tell you right now that 7-10 dollars is the going price for premium cigars, regardless of maker, so unless you want to only smoke catalog exclusives, some of which, sure, are great, but most are ****, you're gonna have to be willing to pay more then 4 dollars for a cigar. That's just a fact with this hobby.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celebrated being offered a job this morning by lighting up a My Father #4. Very similar experience as above, but with the smaller and longer vitola (lancero size) it really took off for me. Tons and tons of cream, a very thick textured smoke, but still a very large amount of spicey tobacco being the only "right" way to describe it. Lots of vanilla, some crisp white oak, and juuuuust a hint of leather, but not much. All in all a phenomenal smoke, but I think in this line especially, the vitola will have a large impact on how good each one is to each person. Just my 2 cents, but thought I'd share. Oh and even though it was a small ring gauge, it still ended up being an hour and fifteen minute smoke... and I'm a fast smoker since I don't put my sticks down and am always puffing on them. -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the My Father line. The aging potential on these is phenominal. The 1st one I had was bought at Pepins shop on Calle Ocho in December 2008, shortly after they were released and it was a huge pepper bomb; smoked it at a blackjack table in Vegas in March 2009. Put the others away for awhile to see what they would do. Gifted one to Russ55 when he picked up a My Father sampler for me in June of 2010. After the raves he gave it, I think he posted some words in the forum somewhere about it, I lit up my last one in July 2011. All I can say it that it was the best cigar I had ever to that point and is still the best as I type this today. I have gone out and amassed just about 100 of the different My Father cigars; regular issue, Le Bijou, Shop exclusive, Lounge Exclusive (only two places to get these, the B&M right next to my house and Arizona). I will continue to pick them up (mostly never at MSRP) as I believe that once aged they turn from great into phenominal and I have the time to wait.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Celebrated being offered a job this morning by lighting up a My Father #4. Very similar experience as above, but with the smaller and longer vitola (lancero size) it really took off for me. Tons and tons of cream, a very thick textured smoke, but still a very large amount of spicey tobacco being the only "right" way to describe it. Lots of vanilla, some crisp white oak, and juuuuust a hint of leather, but not much. All in all a phenomenal smoke, but I think in this line especially, the vitola will have a large impact on how good each one is to each person. Just my 2 cents, but thought I'd share. Oh and even though it was a small ring gauge, it still ended up being an hour and fifteen minute smoke... and I'm a fast smoker since I don't put my sticks down and am always puffing on them. -- Brett
    Holy moses you smoked it in a flat hour less then it took me! By far the lancero is my favorite in the MF line it's just amazing.... I'm trying to hold out till I get my box of toros smoked to get a box of lanceros but I don't think I'll be able to.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    90+ Irishman:
    Holy moses you smoked it in a flat hour less then it took me! By far the lancero is my favorite in the MF line it's just amazing.... I'm trying to hold out till I get my box of toros smoked to get a box of lanceros but I don't think I'll be able to.
    I've always been a bit of a power smoker, hence why it's far easier for me to go through 3 sticks in a 3-4 hour period. I enjoy the hell out of them, I just love the smoke so I smoke far more often than most (1 puff every 15-25 seconds easy). I typically hate to set a gar down, and if it's in my hand I'd rather smoke it then just let it burn away in my hand. That's the only logical reason I can come up with for why I smoke so fast so to speak. Plus I inhale all cigars every other puff or a little more. Just how I started, and I like the flavor more that way I guess. Now out of the My Father's though which is a really sad day since they are such a fantastic smoke!! -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    agreed. any mf is better as they age. love the entire mf line. i prefer the larger ring gauge in both the my and mf lb.. fantrastic cigars, well worth the cost imo. i have 2 in my humi from 11/5/10. looking forward to firing them up.
    bandyt09:
    I love the My Father line. The aging potential on these is phenominal. The 1st one I had was bought at Pepins shop on Calle Ocho in December 2008, shortly after they were released and it was a huge pepper bomb; smoked it at a blackjack table in Vegas in March 2009. Put the others away for awhile to see what they would do. Gifted one to Russ55 when he picked up a My Father sampler for me in June of 2010. After the raves he gave it, I think he posted some words in the forum somewhere about it, I lit up my last one in July 2011. All I can say it that it was the best cigar I had ever to that point and is still the best as I type this today. I have gone out and amassed just about 100 of the different My Father cigars; regular issue, Le Bijou, Shop exclusive, Lounge Exclusive (only two places to get these, the B&M right next to my house and Arizona). I will continue to pick them up (mostly never at MSRP) as I believe that once aged they turn from great into phenominal and I have the time to wait.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    How does the Le Bijou measure against the regular MF tastewise? I have a LB in my humi but have not smoked it yet.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    tad stronger w/ a bit more chocolate taste.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    docbp87:
    I'll tell you right now that 7-10 dollars is the going price for premium cigars, regardless of maker, so unless you want to only smoke catalog exclusives, some of which, sure, are great, but most are ****, you're gonna have to be willing to pay more then 4 dollars for a cigar. That's just a fact with this hobby.
    +1
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Doc hit this one well. I too would love to pay 5 bucks for every stick I like however it isn't the case. Sure 12 bucks a stick is a bit steep for me however it's not a deal breaker, however if I like it then I'm in. I guess if a stick goes for 20 or 15 it needs to be good. I mean, its handmade so I know not all sticks will be perfect but if your paying that kind of money I expect them to be above the budget sticks.

On this cigar, I haven't had it but I like the last my father but like the review mentioned, I don't think they are all that and a can of beans. Still a nice cigar.
    Yes for sure is a good cigar...I would smoke it again. I guess just separating the truth from the zeal...at least in my own small brain. :-0
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just had my first My Father over the weekend, in the #3 size - what a phenomenal smoke! Will be looking to pick up some more of these soon.

Have you tried the My Father Le Bijou? I have not but am interested for sure.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnt one of these this evening. Gifted me by a BOTL. Dated November last year, so plenty of age. I actually enjoyed it more before lighting. Wonderful aroma wrapper and foot. Look at this delectable appearance:
    A bit crooked at the head. Uncapped easily. Easy draw unlit. Plenty of flavor, earth with a zing.

found Unfortunately, not all that big a deal once lit. I got bitter earth at first. Smoothed out as it got going. Good volume. But bitter earth. Dry retro. A scant hour before it canoed and turned more bitter. Straightened out by the nub.

It's a thing where I started out rating it four and a half stars, but reduced the rating half star at a time until it rated only three by the time I tossed the nub.

Like the OP, I thought it okay, but no big deal.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    My Father smokes are very delicious, you can sometimes find good deals on them bringing them down to around $5 a stick if you keep an eye out.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Bitter MF's, blasphemy! Convinced you need to get that Humi down to 65Rh ASAP webmost. Hopefully the drier weather will help you, although that drier weather comes with being colder, which sucks if you have to smoke outside.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Bitter MF's, blasphemy! Convinced you need to get that Humi down to 65Rh ASAP webmost. Hopefully the drier weather will help you, although that drier weather comes with being colder, which sucks if you have to smoke outside.
    I haven't had any bitter MF's either.
    Update on this post...they have become a staple in the humi as has the entire MF brand. But I will say I did get them for good prices so all is good.