Home Non Cigar Related

Apple Apology ... another one

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/tim-cook-maps/

I don't know if it's a bad thing or a good thing they apologize so much. On one hand I do like it because it shows they respond to angry customers but on the other hand it means they keep trying to put out stuff that they shouldn't or they know aren't great but hope people don't complain too much. I mean I know nothing is perfect, everything has problems however they do prop themselves up as the best thing out there. IMO siri, their maps, and even their OS isn't ground breaking. They haven't really made anything their own, it's usually a copy of something else.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've been playing with mine. I find Maps exceptionally slick. I haven't had any of the problems Tim spoke of. Siri? no real need for it. The OS is wicked fast. The account switch and cloud apps upgrade also went seamlessly. And the unit and screen?, finest piece of engineering I've ever seen.

I know you don't like Apple, Phobic. You tend to post all of their bad news. However, I don't see you posting all the other systems' highlights. We know you love Mr. Softie and Google-eyes. Here's a bit of trivia for you. Bill Gates runs his Windows Operating System on Macs. JMO.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to jump in this so bad.... I do. I own an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad2, Galaxy S3, and a custom build PC. The most reliable is the PC then the Galaxy S3
    Vision:
    I want to jump in this so bad.... I do. I own an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad2, Galaxy S3, and a custom build PC. The most reliable is the PC then the Galaxy S3
    And you did so without trashing something or somebody. I respect that.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I've been playing with mine. I find Maps exceptionally slick. I haven't had any of the problems Tim spoke of. Siri? no real need for it. The OS is wicked fast. The account switch and cloud apps upgrade also went seamlessly. And the unit and screen?, finest piece of engineering I've ever seen.

I know you don't like Apple, Phobic. You tend to post all of their bad news. However, I don't see you posting all the other systems' highlights. We know you love Mr. Softie and Google-eyes. Here's a bit of trivia for you. Bill Gates runs his Windows Operating System on Macs. JMO.
    I target Apple because they and their ilk act like they are the best thing ever. Google and Windows make me mad too. I think it was BS that microsoft came out with windows 8 so fast and it's just a touch screen version of 7 for the most part. really sort of half assed.
    beatnic:
    Vision:
    And you did so without trashing something or somebody. I respect that.
    I've said this so many times to both my pc and mac friends and family as well as customers, if you know what your doing, and you get good parts windows is the best os. However if you do the first part and want a simple email or face book machine that doesn't allow you to F things up that easily go with a apple OS. But if you go to a mac store and get a computer for 1800 bucks it should work well. If you go to Best Buy or call dell and get a "pc" for 700 bucks it will perform okay with a pinch of crap. I deal with most pc's in this sort of range.
    beatnic:

if that last part is true than he's an idiot, because there is hardware out there that blows what you can get even on a custom build mac pro out the water. I'm sure if he does do it he doesn't get what us mere mortals get. Either way mac's are a generation behind what hardware you can get maybe even two. Although macs have started to use nvidia and other components you could buy separate which I do think helps them and makes them more comparable. While watching the making of transformers 3 they talk about how when they made that big building destroyer robot it crashed their stuff so much they had to get all new stuff and even then they had to cut the sequences to short shots. And they had macs, but I have no idea what hardware they were using. However you could do it on windows too, but maybe the studio had a deal with apple or something, who knows.
    To me its like this and I will equate it to cigars. You will never get the die hard Romeo and Juliet guy to smoke Skull and Bones and My Farther Bijou and vise versa. Some people dont like change at all (but will upgrade to a device that is 99.99% the same as the last) and some people dont mind downloading a driver or installing a pair of 680GTX to own sh!zz up in BF3..... sorry.... back on track. I am a tech both PC (14 years) and Home theater (3 years) and I see it on both ends. You have your Sony guys and your Pioneer guys...... both good at what they do but not great.
    Vision:
    To me its like this and I will equate it to cigars. You will never get the die hard Romeo and Juliet guy to smoke Skull and Bones and My Farther Bijou and vise versa. Some people dont like change at all (but will upgrade to a device that is 99.99% the same as the last) and some people dont mind downloading a driver or installing a pair of 680GTX to own sh!zz up in BF3..... sorry.... back on track. I am a tech both PC (14 years) and Home theater (3 years) and I see it on both ends. You have your Sony guys and your Pioneer guys...... both good at what they do but not great.
    well said
  • I will never own an apple product again. The BS they sue for is ridculous. I can't bring myself to support a company that cries about everything and sues anyone that will beat them.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have an Imac and a gaming PC...I have never had problems with either one of them. I pay more attention to the PC, but my wife uses the Mac. If she can't ruin it...
    Rain:
    I have an Imac and a gaming PC...I have never had problems with either one of them. I pay more attention to the PC, but my wife uses the Mac. If she can't ruin it...

And thats what it comes down to. Sorry guys because this might rub people the wrong way. Apples are for woman first. Its so tough to eff anything up and they are spoon fed what they need. Here is your dock.... Here is Safari and Mail.... Here is the App Store (LOL I just type App Store in lower case and it corrects it to Caps A&S LOL)... Here is where you download Music and games.... That is 80% of the users I come across. Here is a kicker.... iWork is like $50 bucks.... MS Office for Mac is $150 bucks.... Every time an Apple is sold.... so is MS Office.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm not a woman, but I do use lots of different Apple products and they're generally better to much better than the non-Apple products ive had. I currently have a iMac, and iPad, and an iPhone, and my wife has a macbook pro, all have never given me one issue and function flawlessly. I have had many PCs (dell, HP, etc.) and they've worked ok but generally couldn't hold a candle to the Apple products and didn't last nearly as long. I also had a galaxy s II phone that I did like very much, but it didn't perform quite as well as my iPhone. So like I said, I'm not a woman and I don't know my way around a motherboard or anything, but I know quality when I see it.
    Luko:
    I'm not a woman, but I do use lots of different Apple products and they're generally better to much better than the non-Apple products ive had. I currently have a iMac, and iPad, and an iPhone, and my wife has a macbook pro, all have never given me one issue and function flawlessly. I have had many PCs (dell, HP, etc.) and they've worked ok but generally couldn't hold a candle to the Apple products and didn't last nearly as long. I also had a galaxy s II phone that I did like very much, but it didn't perform quite as well as my iPhone. So like I said, I'm not a woman and I don't know my way around a motherboard or anything, but I know quality when I see it.
    Luko how can you say that? If you had a Windows computer you could hire Phobic to fix it. LOL. Another piece of trivia. Microsoft Office software is better on Macs than on Windows. Best of both worlds.
    Vision:
    Rain:

And thats what it comes down to. Sorry guys because this might rub people the wrong way. Apples are for woman first. Its so tough to eff anything up and they are spoon fed what they need. Here is your dock.... Here is Safari and Mail.... Here is the App Store (LOL I just type App Store in lower case and it corrects it to Caps A&S LOL)... Here is where you download Music and games.... That is 80% of the users I come across. Here is a kicker.... iWork is like $50 bucks.... MS Office for Mac is $150 bucks.... Every time an Apple is sold.... so is MS Office.
    lmao! so true too, reason why I tried getting my wife and parents to get a mac, it's hard to screw up. Though my wife isn't as bad as my parents well my dad anyway, I swear he should be banned from any technology.
    beatnic:
    Luko:
    Luko how can you say that? If you had a Windows computer you could hire Phobic to fix it. LOL. Another piece of trivia. Microsoft Office software is better on Macs than on Windows. Best of both worlds.
    lol, I dunno man I never have any issues with office.
    Luko:
    wow, I haven't heard anyone say that about the s2. my wife has the s2 and I have the s3. I have a iphone 4 for work and really don't like it. what do you like more about the iphone than the s2?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Luko:
    wow, I haven't heard anyone say that about the s2. my wife has the s2 and I have the s3. I have a iphone 4 for work and really don't like it. what do you like more about the iphone than the s2?
    No. 1 that there is no lag with the iPhone. I had lots of problems with that with my galaxy. Like I said, in general i was happy with that phone but the iPhone just performs better.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Plain and simple whenever you are the most valuable company of all time that means you are doing something right and moving a lot of something. Inevitably with that come problems, duds, lemons etc but if you look at the whole picture it is but just a blip on the radar...I don't own any apple products for no particular reason other than just haven't jumped in to them yet. I do see myself at some point, probably iphone and ipad, maybe an mp3 player but I'd have no issue buying their products...they do what they do better than anyone out there, at the moment anyways...
    Diamondog:
    Plain and simple whenever you are the most valuable company of all time that means you are doing something right and moving a lot of something. Inevitably with that come problems, duds, lemons etc but if you look at the whole picture it is but just a blip on the radar...I don't own any apple products for no particular reason other than just haven't jumped in to them yet. I do see myself at some point, probably iphone and ipad, maybe an mp3 player but I'd have no issue buying their products...they do what they do better than anyone out there, at the moment anyways...
    They do what they do better then anyone....... How so? As in product or Advertising? As in sueing people, product development, or stealing others technology? Software or Hardware? Warranty?
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Sooner or later Jobs will be missed.
    Dark Roast:
    Sooner or later Jobs will be missed.
    I agree!