Home Non Cigar Related

If you have parents who are getting up there.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
This last month has been a bit of a stressful month. My mother has been in the hospital.
She has bad emphysema and some other medical problems. They would need to do surgery, but if they do, there is a 90% chance she will have to be on a ventilator the remainder of her days, which she refuses to do. So now, they are only giving her pain meds to make her comfortable for the next week or so, if she lasts that long.

Last night, we got the power of attorney paper signed and notarized so I can pay her bills. She has her funeral costs paid for and all her affairs in order.

She went downhill faster than we thought she would, but if she hadn't had everything taken care of, it would have been a nightmare.

If you have parents that are getting up there, do yourself a favor and make sure they have everything squared away, before it's too late. Dealing with this is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

It's looking like she might make it to the end of the week.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Here for ya dude!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • I am very sorry to hear about your mother. I am also lucky that my parents who are also up there in age have taken care of everything so that there is no burden for their family.
    My prayers and wishes are with you and your family.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers to you and your family
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Our thoughts are with you, Tony
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Sorry brother. I will pray for your family. If you need an ear, let me know.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Tony... Stay strong brother, prayers are with ya
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Tony, my prayers are with you.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers to you and your family.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Prayers Tony!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    MVW67:

^^^ This. Many prayers to you and your family, Tony.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Prayers for you and your family.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family, Tony.

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    MVW67:

^^^ This. Many prayers to you and your family, Tony.
    +2 to this Tony! I will pray for you and your family. God Bless!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

We are about as prepared for her passing as we'll ever be. We knew it was coming, but when they took her off of the intravenous food, the reality of it set in.
    It's just a matter of days now, before she will be at peace. No more pain or discomfort for her after that.

We went up the other day before they started the pain meds and sedation, so my boys were able to see her and talk with there. I'm grateful for that. It made her happy and made my family happy.

My mother and I didn't always get a long and I regret that. But the last month has made up for a lot of it. I was able to take care of everything for her, so she could rest peacefully.

I go up Saturday to Portland to the hospital to see her. She is now in Hospice, so it's possible she won't make it to Saturday. She won't know I am there, but I will.

If you have parents that are old and had a falling out, it's best to make peace before it's too late.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Peace to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear about this.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Peace be with you my friend and my prayers for your mother.
    Loosing someone close to our hearts will never be easy but take comfort in knowing that you will one day be reunited.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, our illustrious govt has screwed things up again.

It seems that my mom has Medicare, which pays 80% of all the medical. So my mother, being the smart person she is, got a supplemental from the state to cover the other 20%. All good, right? Wrong.
    It seems the supplemental is Medicaid, which is state sponsored and equates to welfare.

So all this time, I've been paying this "premium" for the supplemental, only to find out today that it isn't a supplemental. And that when she dies, the state swoops in and takes the house to pay for what Medicaid has paid out. And if the house doesn't cover it, I may be responsible for the remainder.

Not once did they say anything about it not being an insurance. Cause if they had, I'd have paid for a regular insurance supplemental and been done with it.

Just another case of the govt not telling the whole story.
    It is partly my own fault, cause I should have checked to see exactly what I was paying for.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: