Home Cigar 101

Aging Cigars Is Hard

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
For me. I put them in my humi, and I mean to age them..but I can't stop smoking them. Maybe if I bury them I can try to forget about them. Sorry about my rant.

Comments

• The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    For me. I put them in my humi, and I mean to age them..but I can't stop smoking them. Maybe if I bury them I can try to forget about them. Sorry about my rant.
    I feel you I try to forget their there and bury them in the bottom cooler but somehow they always find there way back in the top cooler
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    well Rain, I don't know how long you've been into cigars, but it can't be too long based on how old you are....
    that being said.......
    the solution is really a simple mathematical formula, which depending on how much you smoke, what you smoke, and your level of discipline, can be very easy, or very hard, on your wallet and your cigar habit....

Very simply, determine about how many cigars you smoke per month.
    Then, for the next 12 months, but THREE times that figure every month. At the end of that 12 month cycle:
    1) you will have many cigars with some decent rest
    2) you'll be able to return to buying at the rate you smoke, while maintaining a supply of aged sticks

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    get a humidor for aging. have a rule that no cigar comes out of there before "X" number of years.
    i have one smoking humidor and three aging humidors. i transfer cigars from the aging humidor to smoking humidor once i feel "ready to smoke them"
    this is usually over one year, often over 3.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    yeah, i had that trouble until i spent WAY too much money and built up my stash. now im able to get some time on my sticks!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Buy two boxes....one to smoke, one to age lol.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Also, a few botl, whose opinion I respect, have told me that there are a significant number of NC cigars that many of us smoke, that actually do not get better with extended (3+ years) rest.....so that's something to consider as well.

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have the same problem, but since i don't have a huge collection yet, i really just grab whatever sounds good that day.
    KingoftheCove:
    Also, a few botl, whose opinion I respect, have told me that there are a significant number of NC cigars that many of us smoke, that actually do not get better with extended (3+ years) rest.....so that's something to consider as well.

BOOM! AJ and DG definately do, but not much more after a year. IMO, buy 5 packs of NC/DC that you like, buy boxes of ISOM to age.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    get a humidor for aging. have a rule that no cigar comes out of there before "X" number of years.
    i have one smoking humidor and three aging humidors. i transfer cigars from the aging humidor to smoking humidor once i feel "ready to smoke them"
    this is usually over one year, often over 3.
    Hey Kuzi, do you have humidors that you just call your aging humis or do you actually have humis that are made for aging?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Rain, all you need is the strong desire to age cigars. I have been aging over 2,000 cigars and never feel smoke any of them. As my father used to say-“If you have the dare to dream, you can make it happen”. In a nutshell, if you really want to age cigar then you can do it. It is in your mind not the cigars or the humidors.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some cigars that are special to me. They are the ones I am keeping to age.
    Usually those ones that are gifted to me by special people or ones I feel are special enough to keep around. I suppose I'm not really trying to age them, but keep them around.

Other than those special ones, I don't really get too concerned about aging them, unless the first ones of the bunch taste green.

Remember, this should be an enjoyable hobby. If it makes you feel good to smoke them, then I wouldn't get too worried about aging, unless you know they are a bit green.
    I know it's easier said than done, especially if you have a limited supply.

I feel for ya. I know how difficult it can be.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I use too. Once I got my collection up to several hundred it wasn't a problem. Now I have well over that and I still hoard like crazy. My thing now is, how much is too much to "start" smoking.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Be thankful you have not caught the "sickness" yet. It is very contagious and hanging around here you are bound to get infected. Once transmission takes place you can kiss your disposable income goodbye for 6-12 months. You will then see the mountain of cigars you have obtained in your huge coolador/binador and be happy. Just then you'll say "I'm just gonna window shop" and then "it's just too good a deal to pass up" watching the mountain grow ever bigger. You'll then know that you have the full blown sickness and there is no turning back. My advice, run while you still can.....muhahaha!
    Buy an ISOM with 5-8 years, then buy the same one with 2-3 years, then buy one with less then a year. Smoke them all....and I gaurentee you aging will be a lot easier when you realize how much aging impacts a specific blend. It will also make you want to box buy ISOM....says the guy who just ordered an 09 box of upmann 2 lol
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Buy an ISOM with 5-8 years, then buy the same one with 2-3 years, then buy one with less then a year. Smoke them all....and I gaurentee you aging will be a lot easier when you realize how much aging impacts a specific blend. It will also make you want to box buy ISOM....says the guy who just ordered an 09 box of upmann 2 lol
    This could work a regular smoke, though. Who's got three gars with that differance of age on them? I'm willing to trade.
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    This could work a regular smoke, though. Who's got three gars with that differance of age on them? I'm willing to trade.
    the reason I suggest ISOM, is they are not aged so the difference is dramatic. Good NC examples are UHC and MF no 1. Both change dramatically after a year. Other examples are aged opus and don Carlos. For the most part though, the tobacco is aged significantly beforehand so at that point it's the marrying of oils that changes the cigars. If you want a source to start checking out aged ISOM, let me know.
    LOL...Dustin has been completely addicted with aged ISOM. Can't blame him...once we are hooked with aged ISOM then there is no shortcut or turning back.
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    the reason I suggest ISOM, is they are not aged so the difference is dramatic. Good NC examples are UHC and MF no 1. Both change dramatically after a year. Other examples are aged opus and don Carlos. For the most part though, the tobacco is aged significantly beforehand so at that point it's the marrying of oils that changes the cigars. If you want a source to start checking out aged ISOM, let me know.
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes please.
    Welcome to the art of aged ISOM cigar world...Congrats!!!
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes please.
    rzaman:
    Welcome to the art of aged ISOM cigar world...Congrats!!!
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes please.
    +1 and catfish PM sent! (no thread jack intended)
    None taken.
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    You could do the same with a Nic cigar of your choosing and see the same result. In fact, better results as Nic cigars are aged before they reach your door; but not held in a steady environment for extended periods plus shipping shock. Good idea but ISOM is not necessary persey.
    CAcigarguy007:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    You could do the same with a Nic cigar of your choosing and see the same result. In fact, better results as Nic cigars are aged before they reach your door; but not held in a steady environment for extended periods plus shipping shock. Good idea but ISOM is not necessary persey.
    i would disagree. In some cases, NC dot need age and will actually loose flavors. Liga 9 is a good example. A full body smoker might not like a MF aged either, and plenty of newer releases realt don't need it or benefit from more then a year down IMO. Cabaiguan is one that will age extremely well, along with padron, DPG blue, and many others. However, I feel if I am going to age something that long, it's best to age superior tobacco which is why I suggest ISOM. For nc/DC certain stuff screams the need for age, or multi blends will come alive with marrying over time too. But there definately is a significant difference in aging nc versus ISOM. To me, I can't see the need to age say a camacho liberty for five years to reach its peak when a don Alejandro will surpass it hands down with the same five years.
    Dustin, I agree but at the same time do not see any reason to convince anyone about the premium or aged Cuban cigars. If someone enjoy NC thats fine. As the cigar smokers, we both understand the differences between Cuban and non-Cuban. There is a reason why people pay premium price for a premimium Cuban. I am fine if someone like non-Cuban because there are some very good NC out there. I also enjoy some NCs. However, the only time I will argue if someone try to undermine Cuban cigars without concrete evidence and smoking experience. We can always agree to disagree. The ultimate reason of smoking is the fun and the meaning of fun vary from person to person. tatse is always subjective and individual.
    catfishbluezz:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    i would disagree. In some cases, NC dot need age and will actually loose flavors. Liga 9 is a good example. A full body smoker might not like a MF aged either, and plenty of newer releases realt don't need it or benefit from more then a year down IMO. Cabaiguan is one that will age extremely well, along with padron, DPG blue, and many others. However, I feel if I am going to age something that long, it's best to age superior tobacco which is why I suggest ISOM. For nc/DC certain stuff screams the need for age, or multi blends will come alive with marrying over time too. But there definately is a significant difference in aging nc versus ISOM. To me, I can't see the need to age say a camacho liberty for five years to reach its peak when a don Alejandro will surpass it hands down with the same five years.
    catfishbluezz:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    I'd beg to differ, strong Nic cigars are what many ISOM's amount to when aged. This is why IMO Nic cigars rule. It is simply a matter of timing with regard to ISOM's vs Nic blends. Hence, Nic blends are superior IMO. Cuban cigars are (IMO) green Nic blends (same makeup soil wise). Different smokes for different folks. Smoke what you love and love what you smoke.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I can't afford the ISOM game yet, but when I find a smoke I really like, I will just bury a few and see what they do with age.
    marineatbn03:
    I can't afford the ISOM game yet, but when I find a smoke I really like, I will just bury a few and see what they do with age.
    they are cheaper for the most part, and superior in that regard. There are not many $7-$8 cigars in the NC world that will stand up to an aged no 2 of say partagas, VR, upmann, diplo, etc... I can't think of many $5 NC's I'd take over a party short or BPC dude. Hit me up when you get back, I'll hook you up. Once you get into the high dollar nc/dc, I think that's when you can debate either way. You just have to pay to get a comparable finish, and no amount of age will improve the quality of finish on most cheaper nc/dc. Honestly, I wish I would've been buying boxes of ISOM instead of wasting money on so many other fivers and bundles. Nowadays I buy fivers of the stuff I like, or when I come across something like Oktoberfest, osok, daruma, or curivari I stock up to stay out of the aging stash. All of those don't need age to shine, the tobacco is ready to go and they won't see drastic changes like an ISOM will. Some folks actually prefer ISOM under 3 years, like psd4.
    I definately would like to have a ISOM humi, the couple I have had have been great. I am still trying to test the waters on some others. Bandy sent me a DPG Blue that looks so old the band is now light blue. Can't wait to burn that one. But, yes, ISOM humi is in the future. It is not the cost per stick. It is the fact that you almost have to buy a box in one shot as I understand.
    marineatbn03:
    I definately would like to have a ISOM humi, the couple I have had have been great. I am still trying to test the waters on some others. Bandy sent me a DPG Blue that looks so old the band is now light blue. Can't wait to burn that one. But, yes, ISOM humi is in the future. It is not the cost per stick. It is the fact that you almost have to buy a box in one shot as I understand.
    you do, which is why BOTL do box splits ;) I've got a good aged stash too, and will be filling up a wineador in the coming months with more. When you get stateside, I'll get you in on the fiver buys too man. Once you figure out what you like, them box buy...same as NC. DPG blue ages extremely well too bro, light it up.
    Sounds good. Knowing the sources are good as well. I am definatly down to do splits, with the right people obviously.