Home Ratings & Reviews

5 vegas cask strength flavor?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to get a handle on flavors. I'm terrible at describing the flavors and understanding them. (cigar or food)
I just know what I like and don't like, but this one seems to be a bit sweet and woodsy.
All these years, I never really considered what the real flavors were of certain cigars, I just smoked what I liked. So now, with this cigar and Rip's articles, I am trying to come up with what I think on this cigar.
It's got a sweet flavor to it. The woodsy taste reminds me a lot of cedar, when I worked in a cedar mill.

It's not a bitter woodsy taste, but a mellow one. So how I classify that, I am not certain.

So I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm getting closer or way off. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony, taste is something we can feel and sometime it is very difficult to walk someone through the taste buds. James asked me how do I taste and I have been trying hard to come up with a written explanation. I realized that it is easy for me to smoke and write up how I taste but difficult to explain someone how.

I think the key is how your tongue identify it. the tongue has front, middle, side and back. usually the front tongue identify the sweet, spiciness. The middle tongue identify the texture and body of smoke with different flavors are aroma, the side tongue identify the sour and tangy flavor and back of the tongue identify the bitterness. Nose is also another factor.

I just checked my smoking notes about 5 Vegas cask strength. indeed, it has dry and sweet cedar note, some spice. It also has the earthy and toasty flavors with mild nutty aroma at the back. Now use your tongue and try to feel the different flavor and aroma with your tongue

This might work. At least, I identify the flavors and aroma this way.
    0patience:
    I'm trying to get a handle on flavors. I'm terrible at describing the flavors and understanding them. (cigar or food)
    I just know what I like and don't like, but this one seems to be a bit sweet and woodsy.
    All these years, I never really considered what the real flavors were of certain cigars, I just smoked what I liked. So now, with this cigar and Rip's articles, I am trying to come up with what I think on this cigar.
    It's got a sweet flavor to it. The woodsy taste reminds me a lot of cedar, when I worked in a cedar mill.

It's not a bitter woodsy taste, but a mellow one. So how I classify that, I am not certain.

So I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm getting closer or way off. LOL!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rip!
    At least now I feel like I am headed in the right direction.
    It really helps me a lot!
    I see what you mean about the "feeling" the flavors. It may take me a bit to get to understand those flavors, but at least I feel like I am starting to understand it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cedar, maybe that's it. I'm no good at explaining flavors, either. I often id chocolate, coffee, bread, nuts, etc., but the Cask Strength has been a challenge to me, in terms of description. I like them, but am left without words on description. Funny thing is, every time I've smoked one, I think "Barbecue", spicey sweet and smoky. Now that I recall, cedar sounds right. May have to buy some soon, as I haven't had one in awhile.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Honestly Tony, at times...some of the flavors I hear are crazy. Some of the ones I say I taste are crazy too.... For example, I thought I got dried mandarin orange on a smoke recently...why? Because the fruit note I kept gettign reminded me of what you might find in trail mix. That will probably be different for someone else, but the fruit note will be there which is why its subjective. There are some flavors that I think are standard and once you become used to finding them, they are easier to pick out and you will realize you've noticed them all along. In the case fo the Cask, which I have not smoked, my guess is you are getting a typical NC cedar note which is common. At times, I also get Oak or Mesquite notes out of cigars and in these cases they reminded me of the scent or aftertaste of eating something smoked with one or the other.

I would suggest if you want to practice, smoke with crushed ice water and take notes. When you start to taste something, wait and keep smoking for another couple minutes until you pinpoint the note, then write it down. As you get mor notes, write them down too through the changes of the smoke. Now i will not say writing reviews and taking notes will make the smoke more enjoyable, but it will make your experiences better in the future as you start to recognize what you like and identify complex cigars you might like. Reviews are not fun really, notes are, and at times, I feel compelled to review when a cigar is so damn good I ahve to.
    I agree that tastes are subjective. Mostly because we rely on past experiences to describe them.
    Because I worked in a cedar mill when I was younger, I find a lot of wood smells and tastes remind me of those experiences.
    Someone who may not have a lot of experiences with different smells, such as cedar, may not see those tastes. Just as some guys taste teas, instead of coffee notes in cigars.

This discussion helps me, because descriptions often evade me. I'm just now grasping what it is I'm tasting and how to get more out of it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ITs not that you get more out of the cigar, but to me that you better understand it with practice. I think this helps a smoker identify what they like, which means they will buy effectively; thus, their overall enjoyment increases. For example, once I figured out that I really like the musk note and associated this with Kelner blends. So now I buy more Avo classic and Davidoff seconds. I also realized I do not like Cameroon, so I never buy them, which saves me money to spend on what I like. It's funny because my collection has become smaller and more focused and I have a lot less sticks that I kind of enjoy, and alot more that I love.
    Agreed. I tend to go to the sweeter side, which is why Cameroons and those cigars with a sweet note appeal to me. I find it interesting how there is such a varied preference in this. Kind of like food though.

I like flavorful foods with quite a bit of seasoning, while other folks like the plain flavor of the food to stand on it's own.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    ...but the Cask Strength has been a challenge to me, in terms of description. I like them, but am left without words on description. Funny thing is, every time I've smoked one, I think "Barbecue", spicey sweet and smoky.
    I think you've hit it! Barbecue is how I'd describe Cask Strength and any kind of cigar that I really like. It's a sweet and humid taste, with good doses of spices, not really subtle. The only other cigars I've smoked that I feel fit this category are La Aroma de Cuba, Black Pearl, the first JoyaDeNicaragua Antono I smoked (but not the second one), and, to a lesser degree, San Lotano Oval. I think for me the kind of cigars I don't like are those that are far more 'charcoaly' in flavor; instead of barbecue, they remind of me stuff-burning-in-the-oven smoke, bitter, earthy, weak, like ashes. Not pleasant. For me, Cohiba Red Dot and Oliva O most epitomize this category. But what the heck do I know? I'm just a noob.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Amos Umwhat:
    ...but the Cask Strength has been a challenge to me, in terms of description. I like them, but am left without words on description. Funny thing is, every time I've smoked one, I think "Barbecue", spicey sweet and smoky.
    I think you've hit it! Barbecue is how I'd describe Cask Strength and any kind of cigar that I really like. It's a sweet and humid taste, with good doses of spices, not really subtle. The only other cigars I've smoked that I feel fit this category are La Aroma de Cuba, Black Pearl, the first JoyaDeNicaragua Antono I smoked (but not the second one), and, to a lesser degree, San Lotano Oval. I think for me the kind of cigars I don't like are those that are far more 'charcoaly' in flavor; instead of barbecue, they remind of me stuff-burning-in-the-oven smoke, bitter, earthy, weak, like ashes. Not pleasant. For me, Cohiba Red Dot and Oliva O most epitomize this category. But what the heck do I know? I'm just a noob.
    You've piqued my interest in the cask strength through conversation before. Between your statements and some recomendations from friends about the Gold, I'm convinced My next buy needs to be a 5 Vegas sampler.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beats me I just know I like em. Gave up long ago trying to discern different flavors. Some are easy. Like coffee and cocoa but that's pretty much it for me.