Home General Discussion

A very noobish question

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Ok well today I got a shipment in from ccom. Now I know the whole yellow cello deal but what confuses me is this....some of the sticks clearly at close inspection have some plume on them...but the cello is as clear as can be!! How's this possible?? I mean I'm happy and all that but still don't understand it
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Sure that's plume? Mold is less likely in cello really, but I'd be surprised to see it from a large distributor unless they were packed away for years
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm 100% sure it's plume... I've seen both mold and plume and this is not hairy at all it's a nice sparkly light dusting
    Money can't buy taste
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    What did you order that it was on?
    Post a pic, I've seen plume in cello before once, it was quite obvious. Nice score dude
    Can't get a good picture without taking it out of the cello and I don't want to do that lol but is was the la auroras from the dd the other day
    Money can't buy taste
    Right on man, you talking the maddy's I assume, which is perfect. I see no reason why they would not get better with age, which means they are ready to burn!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Can't get a good picture without taking it out of the cello and I don't want to do that lol but is was the la auroras from the dd the other day
    Are those the same ones you posted a picture of earlier as your huricane Sandy emergency preparedness supplies ? Maybe they pulled them out of their aging room. Lucky !!
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Are those the same ones you posted a picture of earlier as your huricane Sandy emergency preparedness supplies ? Maybe they pulled them out of their aging room. Lucky !!
    No but yeah same make and model lol but I put them in the aging cooler. They seem to do best at around 3 months +. But I always keep them in rotation since well I really like them
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    plume can happen in other ways as well.

if it is the Maduro Preferidos then the answer lies in the wrapper mostly and ambient conditions.
    maduro wrappers tend to have an oilier surface. the fermentation process brings this out. plume is just crystallized oils. when there are the right fluctuations in the surrounding atmosphere or humidor, plume can form quickly.
    if i am not mistaken, it is if there is high humidity for a while followed by lower humidity but higher temp. dont quote me on that.
    but i know there are ways to "force" plume.

just remember that plume doesnt mean that much. people hold it up like it is something amazing. it isnt.
    kuzi16:
    plume can happen in other ways as well.

if it is the Maduro Preferidos then the answer lies in the wrapper mostly and ambient conditions.
    maduro wrappers tend to have an oilier surface. the fermentation process brings this out. plume is just crystallized oils. when there are the right fluctuations in the surrounding atmosphere or humidor, plume can form quickly.
    if i am not mistaken, it is if there is high humidity for a while followed by lower humidity but higher temp. dont quote me on that.
    but i know there are ways to "force" plume.

just remember that plume doesnt mean that much. people hold it up like it is something amazing. it isnt.
    Thank you doc! I know it's nothing amazing but it just confused me thinking if anything the cello should have yellowed before anything. So I was a tad confused
    Money can't buy taste