Home Non Cigar Related

HDTV

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Anyone got any new HDTV's lately? I am thinking about getting a new one, I have a 50 inch RCA dlp right now which I still love but need a 1080p to go with my blu-ray and I was looking at a Panasonic TC-P54V10, anyone have one? Looks like a winner to me.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I went with the Sony Bravia 1080i, hdt, 44"(smaller living room). I LOVE it. I did about 3 weeks of shopping around before i pulled the trigger on it. Keep your eye on BestBuy, they normally have a lot of really good sales...especially around christmas!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nope. I'm sitting on a 42 inch Plasma Screen. It is HD and big enough for as much TV as we watch. It is an Elite, made by Pioneer. Very expensive but I got a GREAT deal on it and I'm happy with it. I actually purchased it from the US and had it shipped up.
    As with most electronics these days... research, research, research. Have you done any looking at ratings and such from say Consumer Reports?
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Just bought a 37" Vizio Eco 1080p LCD and love it.  Great picture, great sound.  It is only a 60hz, but you don't tend to notice as much motion blur during sports or action movies on a screen this size.  It's as big as I could fit in the built-in entertainment center in my living room.  In my bedroom, I have a Samsung 55" DLP 1080p.  That picture is AWESOME!  The Vizio is very close as far as quality of picture goes though, and I only paid 640 for it, with a two year coverage plan. 
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Nope. I'm sitting on a 42 inch Plasma Screen. It is HD and big enough for as much TV as we watch. It is an Elite, made by Pioneer. Very expensive but I got a GREAT deal on it and I'm happy with it. I actually purchased it from the US and had it shipped up.
    As with most electronics these days... research, research, research. Have you done any looking at ratings and such from say Consumer Reports?
    Yeah I know the tv is fantastic, saw it at a local store which I usually buy things from (best buy can go to hell). Is that elite the kuro? Pioneer makes some good plasma's, the elite puro is on the best tv's ever built as far as plasma's are concerned. I thought about getting one, (not the kuro though) but they are leaving the industry some time next year.
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    Yeah I know the tv is fantastic, saw it at a local store which I usually buy things from (best buy can go to hell). Is that elite the kuro? Pioneer makes some good plasma's, the elite puro is on the best tv's ever built as far as plasma's are concerned. I thought about getting one, (not the kuro though) but they are leaving the industry some time next year.

Ummm, It's the Pioneer Pro Series 940. I don't think they started naming them like the Kuro until the next year they came out. This model is manufactured in 2006 but I purchased it Nov. in 2007. I have been VERY happy with it. Great for sports and National Geographic type programming. Which covers 80% of my TV time. :)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    ...(best buy can go to hell)...

Well excuse me while i go F*$K myself :)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jetmech_63:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ...(best buy can go to hell)...

Well excuse me while i go F*$K myself :)

I smell a story don't you Jet ...Come on Pheebs spill the beans ...er...or acorns ...or ...whatever !!!
    don't forget about the reach around! =p (I work with people who use to try and work for them in their geek squad and tv centers and they couldn't handle the dumbness) Also they lie to people or mislead them consistantly. I went to buy my tv a couple of years ago and while there I wanted to see a few tv's on standard def programming to see what the quality was and after many many minutes of them telling me that it was on std def I finally got them to change that and actually put it off of the HD feed. Plus they lied to my mother about the very same thing when she got her tv then refused to take the tv back. I can go and on about them....
    phobicsquirrel:
    don't forget about the reach around! =p (I work with people who use to try and work for them in their geek squad and tv centers and they couldn't handle the dumbness) Also they lie to people or mislead them consistantly. I went to buy my tv a couple of years ago and while there I wanted to see a few tv's on standard def programming to see what the quality was and after many many minutes of them telling me that it was on std def I finally got them to change that and actually put it off of the HD feed. Plus they lied to my mother about the very same thing when she got her tv then refused to take the tv back. I can go and on about them....

Well damn it I hate liars ... although I bet a good bit of that goes on in a lotta businesses nowadays ...I hope ya raised he-ll with them over your moms tv ...
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

Well damn it I hate liars ... although I bet a good bit of that goes on in a lotta businesses nowadays ...I hope ya raised he-ll with them over your moms tv ...
    I didn't have too, she eventually got it returned but it was a real pain. But I do wander in the store some times to poke fun at them. I've caught them in a few lies or just ignorant words. One was my favorite, cat 5 is no longer sold but they have cat 6, asking what the difference was I was told that it has an extra wire that make downloads faster. I snickered and said, no, it's how many twists per inch. That look of dumbness was glazed over the person's face. I later found out it was a lead installer at geek squad.
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

I didn't have too, she eventually got it returned but it was a real pain. But I do wander in the store some times to poke fun at them. I've caught them in a few lies or just ignorant words. One was my favorite, cat 5 is no longer sold but they have cat 6, asking what the difference was I was told that it has an extra wire that make downloads faster. I snickered and said, no, it's how many twists per inch. That look of dumbness was glazed over the person's face. I later found out it was a lead installer at geek squad.

Haha good story pheebs
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I got the Samsung HL67A750. Thing is huge and looks great. Got it in July of last year for $1850. Places are still selling it for $2500 though. I did get screwed over with the stand. I didn't research that part. Samsung has a stand for less than $300 and I paid $600 for some other brand. My own fault.
    that is a biggie. nice price to boot. do you have it on the wall? If not I bought my stand for my dlp for 600 and it's a damn nice one but it is overpriced but it one of the best in my opion. I think bello made it or something..
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have a Panasonic Plasma. If you are going to go Plasma Panasonic is the only way to go. If you're going to go LCD then its got to be a Samsung. Period. If you're not a video gamer and your TV isn't in direct sun, I'd recommend Plasma. For the cost difference for a non gamer you'll actually get a better picture out of the Plasma as LCDs cannot create a true black, though Samsung comes the closest if you're willing to fork over some dough for it.

Oh and screw Best Buy. I've got the Best Buy story to beat all Best Buy stories. When I was looking for my new TV I swung into Best Buy one night and they had a LG that I was actually impressed with on clearance. Was going to end up paying around $800 for a 48" that was normally $2500+. Well they offered 0% interest for 24 month if you spent $1000 so I went ahead and got HDMI cables and all to get it to $1000 figuring hell if they are gonna give me 0% why not?

Well they didn't have the tv they had to bring it in from another store but I had to pay for it now for them to get it so I went ahead and did the whole credit card deal for 0%. Three weeks later after calling repeatedly I find out they sold the tv that I had already paid for to someone else and couldn't locate another one. So I took everything back and told them to cancel the card. Six months later I get a call asking when I was going to pay my Best Buy Card off that was now six months past due. Come to find out the dumb ass kid who did the return didn't ring out one of the items that totaled $35. But now its six months past due, **** up my credit and they're saying I owe $200. Well to make a long story short, over a year later and numerous letters and phone calls I still haven't been able to get it taken care of and its killing my credit. Screw Best Buy.
    yeah, that is one of the worst!!! You had a return receipt I assume, man what a f'ing joke.
    madurofan:
    I have a Panasonic Plasma. If you are going to go Plasma Panasonic is the only way to go. If you're going to go LCD then its got to be a Samsung. Period. If you're not a video gamer and your TV isn't in direct sun, I'd recommend Plasma. For the cost difference for a non gamer you'll actually get a better picture out of the Plasma as LCDs cannot create a true black, though Samsung comes the closest if you're willing to fork over some dough for it.

Oh and screw Best Buy. I've got the Best Buy story to beat all Best Buy stories. When I was looking for my new TV I swung into Best Buy one night and they had a LG that I was actually impressed with on clearance. Was going to end up paying around $800 for a 48" that was normally $2500+. Well they offered 0% interest for 24 month if you spent $1000 so I went ahead and got HDMI cables and all to get it to $1000 figuring hell if they are gonna give me 0% why not?

Well they didn't have the tv they had to bring it in from another store but I had to pay for it now for them to get it so I went ahead and did the whole credit card deal for 0%. Three weeks later after calling repeatedly I find out they sold the tv that I had already paid for to someone else and couldn't locate another one. So I took everything back and told them to cancel the card. Six months later I get a call asking when I was going to pay my Best Buy Card off that was now six months past due. Come to find out the dumb ass kid who did the return didn't ring out one of the items that totaled $35. But now its six months past due, **** up my credit and they're saying I owe $200. Well to make a long story short, over a year later and numerous letters and phone calls I still haven't been able to get it taken care of and its killing my credit. Screw Best Buy.

You should be able to add a consumer statement to your credit report explaining the situation just call up the credt bureau and ask to do so. Then I would contact an attorney who handles consumer affairs , most won't charge much to just write a letter to the company and sometimes thats all it takes. Thats a shame Maddy ...makes me very leary of Best Buy ...
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

You should be able to add a consumer statement to your credit report explaining the situation just call up the credt bureau and ask to do so. Then I would contact an attorney who handles consumer affairs , most won't charge much to just write a letter to the company and sometimes thats all it takes. Thats a shame Maddy ...makes me very leary of Best Buy ...
    I have a co worker friend of mine that had them really screw over his wife and him, though maddy's situation is much worse.
    phobicsquirrel:
    that is a biggie. nice price to boot. do you have it on the wall? If not I bought my stand for my dlp for 600 and it's a damn nice one but it is overpriced but it one of the best in my opion. I think bello made it or something..
    Bello is what I have. I would have been happy just paying the $300 but that is just me. I want to see what the Mitsubishi DLP Laserview looks like. I want to get that one but they are around $6500.
    I was looking or eyeing at that laser tv too, damn nice looking. though couldn't find a price for them. even on their site. 6500 seems higher than what I was expecting... I hope it isn't the actual cost.
    It's worse! $6900 I remember reading that it was going to be priced similarly to other TVs in the same price range but little did I know that they weren't going to be traditional DLP pricing. More like Plasma and LCD pricing at that size range. Too much money for me. I like my TV. I would spend that money on getting a Denon pre-amp or power-amp instead for some awesome sound!

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-L65A90-65-Inch-LaserVue-Projection/dp/B001IAAD3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245081100&sr=1-1
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

Well now the account has been transferred to a collection agency who is actually being really good. I just need to get a newer letter from the manager and supposedly they'll take care of it. A lawyer is the next option.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    be wary of any collection agent that seems like a nice guy.
    jihiggs:
    I know, I know. But what can they get out of me by getting me to fax them a letter?
    madurofan:
    jihiggs:
    I know, I know. But what can they get out of me by getting me to fax them a letter?

Well you know that saying about not be able to get blood from a stone...? Don't you believe it, they can not only get blood from the stone, but they can reduce it to tears just before it starts to bleed ! LMAO
    laker1963:
    madurofan:
    jihiggs:

Well you know that saying about not be able to get blood from a stone...? Don't you believe it, they can not only get blood from the stone, but they can reduce it to tears just before it starts to bleed ! LMAO
    Lawyers are better than stones. Their heart pumps ice water, wait do they have hearts? We should ask Rocky.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    madurofan:
    jihiggs:

Lawyers are better than stones. Their heart pumps ice water, wait do they have hearts? We should ask Rocky.
    Yeah they have hearts...just because they're black, made of stone, and covered in spikes dosent mean that they're not hearts... oh and I hear that Mitishibushi makes a hell of a TV.
    rwheelwright:
    It's worse! $6900 I remember reading that it was going to be priced similarly to other TVs in the same price range but little did I know that they weren't going to be traditional DLP pricing. More like Plasma and LCD pricing at that size range. Too much money for me. I like my TV. I would spend that money on getting a Denon pre-amp or power-amp instead for some awesome sound!

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-L65A90-65-Inch-LaserVue-Projection/dp/B001IAAD3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245081100&sr=1-1
    yeah I guess that's about the price going for a 65er. Though 65 is really big. I like 50-56. I want a 54 if I had the choice. I hope they will come out with a size in that range.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:

yeah I guess that's about the price going for a 65er. Though 65 is really big. I like 50-56. I want a 54 if I had the choice. I hope they will come out with a size in that range.
    I would tell you to look into the Samsung DLP with LED backlighting but they seem to be discontinued already. Decent size and decent price. No bulb to replace. LED backlighting is supposed to have something like 50k or 60k hours. Look into the Mitsubishi DLP or if you can find it the Samsung HL61A750. A little bigger than you were looking but really nice.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3749849&sku=M402-6000&SRCCODE=CCEM013CN&cm_mmc=EML-_-Main-_-CCEM013-_-HDTV

Check this out - 60 in DLP HDTV 1080p for $1100
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Bad time to mention I work at Best Buy???