Home Cigar 101

Macanudo Hampton Court

biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
I just bought a Macanudo Hampton Court which is a tubed cigar with a cedar wrapping. Should I remove it from the tube and keep the cedar wrap? I also heard a lot of bad reviews, but wanted to try it none the less. I remember smoking one of these before I was "aware" and now interested it going back and trying it with an open mind and palette, not to mention a smaller ring size. Are these as bad as people make them out to be?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    "Good" and "bad" are completely up to you. No one can tell you what you like. I don't mind the Hampton Court. Some will hate on it. My wife's uncle smokes them exclusively, box after box. Smoke what YOU want and figure out what you like. Don't let someone else's review of a smoke influence your opinion on it until you've given it a fair shake yourself.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    "Good" and "bad" are completely up to you. No one can tell you what you like. I don't mind the Hampton Court. Some will hate on it. My wife's uncle smokes them exclusively, box after box. Smoke what YOU want and figure out what you like. Don't let someone else's review of a smoke influence your opinion on it until you've given it a fair shake yourself.
    I have smoked many Macanudo cigars, and always have a couple in my humidor. They are well made, consistent in taste and body, AND very popular among American smokers in general. ( just not here it seems). I have never been disappointed with them and would gladly smoke one any day. It has it's time and place and you should get a favorable experience out of it.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    I just bought a Macanudo Hampton Court which is a tubed cigar with a cedar wrapping. Should I remove it from the tube and keep the cedar wrap? I also heard a lot of bad reviews, but wanted to try it none the less. I remember smoking one of these before I was "aware" and now interested it going back and trying it with an open mind and palette, not to mention a smaller ring size. Are these as bad as people make them out to be?
    A palette is a board with a thumb hole which a painter uses to mix his colors. A palate is a developed sense of taste. So long as you are trying to develop the one, might as well not refer to it as the other.

Meanwhile, back to the real subject at hand: It is true that it's all a matter of individual taste. However, it is also equally true that it's not all just a matter of individual taste. I myself have only been smoking cigars for just over a year, and have only been trying to develop a palate for half as long. Once I score a stick, I find reviews most helpful if I read them AFTER smoking the cigar. What I find is that one review will say cigar X tastes like pecans, the next will say peanuts, one will say oak, the next will say cedar. But if six out of eight say it's nutty and woody, then it's apt to be some kind of nuts and some kind of wood. In my newbishness, I may have concluded stick X tasted like cashews, but did not identify the wood until after I read about the wood and said "Yeah, that's it!". That helps me spot wood in the next stick. If I have not yet bought a cigar, then I do like to look it up on my smart phone while I am in the B&M's walk-in standing there considering it. If six out of eight say stick X is mediocre, then chances are real good it is mediocre. If reviews were entirely a matter of individual preference, then they wouldn't be useful at all.

What I am trying to say is, makes sense to look at reviews before you buy or after you smoke; not after you buy before you smoke.

Cigars are a great obsession, aren't they?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    biodarwin:
    I've found that several cedar wrapped cigars have come to me at time of purchase with mold growing on the wrapper so I check underneath the cedar for this. Some people will take the cedar off and keep it off for this reason.
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    webmost:
    A palette is a board with a thumb hole which a painter uses to mix his colors. A palate is a developed sense of taste. So long as you are trying to develop the one, might as well not refer to it as the other.
    Thank you for the correction. I am one of those weird combinations of highly intelligent but poorly educated so I really do appreciate you pointing this out. and yes, they are a great obsession :)
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Roberto99:
    I've found that several cedar wrapped cigars have come to me at time of purchase with mold growing on the wrapper so I check underneath the cedar for this. Some people will take the cedar off and keep it off for this reason.
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess it does make sense. If the cigar gets to humid in the tube, the combination of the cedar and the tube causing a lack of air flow would create the proper condititions for a mold to grow. I double checked mine and removed in and stored in in my humidor. I do get worried about damaging the wrapper when they are "naked". Can you buy cigar like cello to wrap cigars in this scenario?