Home Cigar 101

Montecristo #2 ... you be the judge .(Edit: with box pics)

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was gifted to me and I just can't figure out if it's real or not.
Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Man I hate those bands, really hard to tell, looks like the older monte band but the margins are a bit weird and off centered. It does look like it is bunched with long filler though, so I'd imagine its decent either way. Honestly....I could tell you by smoking it, the finish is what will tell you if it's real. I've had an older monte two that had this band, a good website is cubancigarwebsite.com for info.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Sorry buddy, it is fake. I will post some pictures here later to show you how I analyzed it. I have a fake band somewhere like this. I will try to take pictures. here are some info. The real band is clear and dark chocolate color not glossy like this. This is light brown color, dull and glossy. The Montecristo logo also should be raised not flat like this one. The back of band should be perfectly connected. On top of everything, Montecristo number 2 is slightly boxed pressed not perfectly round.
    danielzreyes:
    This was gifted to me and I just can't figure out if it's real or not.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Daniel..let me know if I sent that to you.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Dustin said, I know the older bands are like this from around 2005?. Faded in color. Is there a chance this is a real band and put on a random stick?
    I won't be heart broken if this cigar is fake lol. I just want to know the facts. Another reason why I really don't buy CC. I don't have enough experience
    Rain:
    Daniel..let me know if I sent that to you.
    Not from you Randy :)
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Here is my pictorial analysis:

The top one is fake and the bottom one is real. The real band is also longer, deep chocolate color. Photobucket
    The Montecristo Logo is raised. You take the band off and check the back. Photobucket Photobucket
    The original cigar is slightly boxed pressed not perfectly round Photobucket
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then... I offically have ZERO cubans to my name =( Just checked mine.... FAKES
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SFASDGDFGWR G gjfd That sucks!
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    SFASDGDFGWR G gjfd That sucks!
    WHAT! lol
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosThe band is on the same as yours Dan but the logo is raised on this one
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Just getting image search for Monte older cigar bands, not a specific picture to post. Maybe my tablet is screwy, but if youupload your pic to flikr or any site then copy and paste the html code it should work.
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Looks like you have an older band and newer band here, not fake on top. If you look up older monte bands they were not raised, lighter brown, and slightly different in design. Hope this is good news for some of you guys :) As far as the original post it looks pretty good but as another has mentioned the margins are slightly off but I'd say it passes.
    rzaman:

Here is my pictorial analysis:

The top one is fake and the bottom one is real. The real band is also longer, deep chocolate color. Photobucket
    The Montecristo Logo is raised. You take the band off and check the back. Photobucket Photobucket
    The original cigar is slightly boxed pressed not perfectly round Photobucket
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Just wanted to make sure you guys saw this ^^ so you don't think you have a bunch of fakes out there ;)
    I think I just figured something out. The band doesn't match the box code year. Right? I dunno lol.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    I think I just figured something out. The band doesn't match the box code year. Right? I dunno lol.
    smoke it Daniel. Seriously, that's the only way you're going to know... every box I get I smoke one ROTT to make sure. fakes are getting VERY impressive these days.
    danielzreyes:
    bingo
    If it came from that box, it should look like the one I sent you. Could it have been older? Yes, but that box should be the modern band so I'd say 99% sure it's a fake without smoking it.
    How about I send it to you and you tell me if its fake.
    If you were trying to figure out if a box was fake, I'd be more then happy bro. Otherwise it's not worth the postage. Smoke the one I sent you, take notes, then smoke that one...or vice versa. I will not trade or buy monte unless it is direct from a vendor as I've seen this band often and have a few I've kept for reference. The only way to prove something like this is with the box, and in this case the box failed.
    For reference, 2010 edmundo, 2005 edmundo, fake band with bad margins. image
    my gosh. freakin smoke it already. in your case, you need to just smoke it. it's like hellooo snoob isn't always snoooob
    jliu:
    my gosh. freakin smoke it already. in your case, you need to just smoke it. it's like hellooo snoob isn't always snoooob
    +1
    jliu:
    how about I trade it to you for a Mongolian beef recipe? (I'll be posting a pic on the "what did you have for dinner" thread. later)
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    This thread is just spooky. I hate to say it, but I will be glad when Fidel dies,and this stupid embargo can finally end. Hopefully, that will put an end to the counterfits.
    danielzreyes:
    jliu:
    how about I trade it to you for a Mongolian beef recipe? (I'll be posting a pic on the "what did you have for dinner" thread. later)
    I'm chinese you jerk
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I don't understand why there is so much of an issue with fakes? Are you getting these from a reputable vendor? If not, do yourself a favor if you want to smoke Cubans and get a reputable vendor and you will never need to ask these questions...
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Daniel, at least the ones you got have a band. My bands were shipped 2 months after I received the "cigars" and they are hot off the printing press! Believe me, once you shell out for fakes you are embarrassed and gun shy. DD would have a hard time if he was drpped into middle of the USA and asked to find a "reputable" source. At least that's been my experience so far...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Bigshizza:
    DD would have a hard time if he was drpped into middle of the USA and asked to find a "reputable" source. At least that's been my experience so far...
    Absolutely incorrect....don't know why people in the US are stuck on a stigma of not being able to get real product....I've done my research, do yours, ask me questions and I'll give you answers. I won't give you sources but I will confirm any legitimate sources you find...its that simple. There are many many many brothers in the states who smoke nothing but and get them delivered to their doorstep....I understand there are legalities and thats a personal choice, I do not advocate breaking the law...if you decide you can live with making that choice, then stop wasting time, energy and money on unverified sources, you need nothing more but time and google...