Home Cigar 101

New Humidor

I just recieved my humidor from Premium Humidors today. Here it is http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/imperfect-humidors/the-frontier-humidor-imperfect-humidor-2.html .

I was a little worried because after I ordered it I read a thread here ripping them good. But mine came in quickly with no extra damage and exactly what was pictured. The "imperfection" was a slight mark on the lid. I paid a little less than the one I linked - $35.00.

BTW - they have this nice looker on sale http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/imperfect-humidors/the-woodsmen-humidor-cherry-imperfect-2.html . What you guys think? Is it worth having one so big? Are they harder to maintain?

Now to season it up and store the 75 cigars I got in the mail last friday.

Dan

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may not hold the 75 if they are all churchills or torpedos. when they do cigar count they base it off of the classic cuban sizes that tend to be a bit smaller.

is it worth having a big humidor

Yes.

hard to maintain?

maybe. it depends on your definition of "difficult"

• FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

Thanks for the reply. I smoke mostly Toros so they should fit, but if not I have another 60 ct humidor.

Difficult as in will I need to fight the humidity all the time? A small humidor seems to be pretty easy to keep at 65 or so. But the big one will have a lot more space until I can afford to fill it up :) .

I like the idea of 1 big humidor and also it seems like a very good buy.

Dan

• bibbybibby Posts: 152

Do you like the product, especially compared to the other unit you already have?

Also a general question; what level of humi is best to start out with? A little background might aid the responses. Anyway I'm relatively new to this hobby; some experience and knowledge, but none with humi's. At any rate it would be my first, and I would look to have somewhere between 10-20 sticks on hand or aging plus room for other's I purchase. I realize the counts they suggest are not really accurate, but what size and manufactors should I be looking for? Also I have a good relationship with a B&M, but their selection of humi's is limited and all priced over $100. Although the Xikar 50 ct was appealing including the digital hygrometer and the humidification device for $120.

Any responses are helpful, thanks in advance.

Rob 

I'm really happy with the new humidor. My first one is a real light weight. It doesn't seal like this one and was a poor choice. I bought it about 15 yrs ago when I started back smoking cigars.

But I wanted to start really expanding my collection and got this new humidor. Since this was exactly as advertised, I went back to the site to see what else I might want to get and saw the 600 ct one for $295.00. It looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Get a 100 to 150 to start. Then you can have room to start a good collection.

Dan
    Would a 100 ct comfortably hold 60-70 sticks? 50 ct would be closer to 30-35 compacity?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Bibby:
    Would a 100 ct comfortably hold 60-70 sticks? 50 ct would be closer to 30-35 compacity?

Yes and yes

I was able to easily fit 74 in. I smoked one lol. I think it could hold another 10. If I was to have all the same length and ring size,  maybe I could put in 100. Go for the 100 - 150ct size then there's room for expansion.

Dan

Are you familiar with the Cuban Crafters Company Humidors? Here is a link to there 100 ct. obviously it would need to be updated to a digital hygrometer, but it looks like a good deal what do you think? Here's the link: http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/260
    Looks like the same one I bought but with a solid top. Nice looking.

Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure it holds 100+. Always good to buy some bundles for the future and let them age.

That's why I'm now thinking about the 600ct one. They have a 1200ct one for $50 more where I bought mine.

http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/furniture-style-humidors/the-lauderdale-humidor.html

Dan
    A little off topic and I'm sure it's been spoken of previously, but on premium humidors website they advise that you should remove all cigars stored in the humidor from their cellophane wrappers for proper humidity control through each cigar. Is that the correct method for storage, it would seem like the cellophane helps keep the aromas of each stick contained while reducing contamination to the others, as well as it definitely helps keep the wrappers nick/chip/dent free. Let me know what you guys say, thanks. ~ Rob
    Disregard, just found a previous thread regarding this issue. I think on is better especially with Kuzi's mentioning that it is a porous material thus negating the claim that it restricts air flow and humidity. ~ Rob
    My own thoughts about that is that I have not noticed a blending of taste. I was worried about that at first. The tobacco has been aged and cured to what it is, it will only breakdown the harshness with age, which some believe is an improvement. The dividers in the humidor keep large bunches of cigars from touching each other preventing any “blending” of flavors. Just keep like to like.

Only hard rule for mixing cigars would be with cigars like Drew Estate. If you want all your cigars to taste like his stuff, then mix away.

IMHO, while cellophane is porous, it won't allow enough water to seep through to easily hydrate the cigars . I think the main reason for the cellophane is for protection, especially when the cigar is on the dry side. A properly humidified cigar does not easily chip and if handled with normal caution won't break or crack.

I wish they would protect the cigar by wrapping them in tissue instead of cellophane. Tissue is very porous and will transfer the moisture at a faster rate than cellophane. The tissue can be left on for better protection because it is more porous.

Since I haven’t bought every premium cigar on the market, the only example of this has been El Rey Del Mundo cigars.

Always remember the primary purposes of a humidor, first for protection and the second to properly keep the cigar at the proper moisture level. It’s a controlled sealed environment. If you like dry grassy tasting cigars, then just leave them in the box they came in with just the natural humidity of where ever you live. But if you want a properly humidified cigar that is full of taste, then buy a good humidor.

One little story. I am married to a Filipino and have a small house over there. I used one of the better made cigar boxes as a humidor and had leftover cigars. Well I came back 3 months later and wow, the bundled cigars, a very cheap brand, tasted almost like a premium. How could this be. 80% humidity over 3 months is how. Since the cigar box was not sealed like a real humidor, all that humidity seeped in and turn basic cigars into stars.

The moral is humidify for proper taste. Unwrapped cigars will absorb the moisture better than wrapped ones. Then you won’t need to let them “rest” for months before enjoying them.

Dan
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead with the positive experience from this company Fairwind indicated and purchased this one in the imperfect as well: http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/medium-desktop-humidors/the-keeper-humidor-2.html I will give everyone an update when it arrives, thanks again. ~ Rob

Nice buy, it's like mine but with a solid top. BTW, the gauge said 55 the first 2 days, then went to 60 and today was 62. So I guess the box and cigars have absorbed as much as they can, now to keep a eye on it incase it goes too high.

Dan

• dew0150dew0150 Posts: 4
    I'm new to this site & relatively new to cigars. I just bought a humidor from here & have no idea what I have to do to use it. It came with a humidifier that sticks to the inside of the top. For the price I don't think it's to bad. Has a magnetic seal so it does seal pretty tight. What do I have to do to make sure it keeps my cigars fresh?

Thanks Dave
  • naughtnaught Posts: 56
    I was in your boat a couple weeks ago. Do a search here in the 101 section of the forum for "salt calibration test", and then for "seasoning humidor"... and you'll find loads and loads of the info you need to get rolling. That is assuming your humi came with a hygrometer. That's what you'll need to calibrate. G'luck!
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    I'm actually looking to get another humidor (my 20ct is woefully inadequate). I'm debating between a 100ct regular humidor and a glass top. Anyone have any recommendations? Do the glass tops retain humidity as well as humidors that are totally wood?

The glass top I linked to on the first post has kept the humidity at normal levels. Aslong as the glass is sealed it should be fine.

Dan

I just have to mention, my new Evanston Colonial Humi is much much much sexier than in the picture http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-EVHUM4-50

Was also mighty happy that the Heartfelts fit perfectly into the humidifier slot.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    One thing that one should check out is that a humidor is sexy but you buy the box, you season it, and then you put stuff in it... no fun there

I have bought a small 20ct humi, upgraded to a 150ct humi, and then had the 150 count full and made a Cooler-dor and then have upgraded both to a Fridge-a-dor...

If you love cigars and ESPECIALLY if you are on these forums you will most likely go bigger and bigger... and if you like making the experience more personal go out and buy a Wine Fridge, buy some empty cigar boxes for their cedar, buy some heartfelt beads and you are up an running for about the tune of $150. Then you can get your hands dirty by breaking apart the boxes and getting the plastic smell out of the fridge, then seasoning it and then having a tiny fridge that holds upwards of 300 cigars in it... now that's the way to go!!!!
    p.s. you'll notice I only joined this forum when I started smoking cigars.... and that was only 13 months AGO!!!!
    I've definitely been going the bigger and bigger route. Won't be long before I have an entire wall humi like my father's. Again, a good problem to have.
    naught:
    I've definitely been going the bigger and bigger route. Won't be long before I have an entire wall humi like my father's. Again, a good problem to have.
    VERY GOOD!
    Bit of an odd question...

The magnetic disc on the back of my hygrometer that mounts it to the lid didn't come with enough adhesive to hold it on. It fell apart when I opened the box. Its just barely holding on now. If I was to put a few dabs of superglue in there to hold it on... would there be any toxic effects in the humi?
    it depends on the glue. i would use gorilla glue because of the humid environment. that stuff does well with moisture. however, i do not have anything attached to the lid of my humidor. i have a digital hygrometer sitting in my humidor. i will never attach anything to the lid of a humidor again. too much hassle, almost no payout.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    it depends on the glue. i would use gorilla glue because of the humid environment. that stuff does well with moisture. however, i do not have anything attached to the lid of my humidor. i have a digital hygrometer sitting in my humidor. i will never attach anything to the lid of a humidor again. too much hassle, almost no payout.

I used Gorilla Glue then read the warning label. I then took it lose and used a wood chisel to very delicatly remove the damn glue as I was afraid it would affect the cigars. I don't like Gorilla Glue ...thats just me ...
    once its dry it should be ok. the problem is while its still a liquid.

but like i said, i dont attach anything to the lids on my humidors.
    I do have a digital on the way. I wouldn't have necessarily decided on the lid mount but... since the humi came that way... and its a pretty attractive looking analog hygro...

If I was to use any type of glue I'd let it stay out to dry at least a couple days but.... being the most paranoid person on earth, I'm really not sure what to do. More than anything, I just don't want to see that empty hole every time I open it.
    I feel like such a dope. I hadn't even thought of getting some simple double sided sticky tape until Andrew emailed me back about it. Doh.
    naught:
    I do have a digital on the way. I wouldn't have necessarily decided on the lid mount but... since the humi came that way... and its a pretty attractive looking analog hygro...

If I was to use any type of glue I'd let it stay out to dry at least a couple days but.... being the most paranoid person on earth, I'm really not sure what to do. More than anything, I just don't want to see that empty hole every time I open it.
    IF you don't want to see an empty hole there every time you open it, may I suggest using 3M double-sided sticky tape and then proceeding to adhere in that hole a picture of Megan Fox... It may not keep you cigars humid, but boy she does make ME sweat!