Home Cigar 101

Making my own humidor

Hello gentlemen! I am newer to the cigar community in general. My uncle got me hooked into the world of living with the pleasure of having a nice cigar.

I would love to make my own humidor for 2 reasons: 1. Just for kicks and 2. I only have the one he gave me for my birthday, and I need more room.

The questions I have are these:

1. I have many choices of wood for the exterior, but what is the best wood for the interior?

2. What is the best temperature range and the best humidity for my cigars?

3. Any suggestions on the brands of hygrometers and humidification devices for say, a 50 ct. churchill size humidor?

I greatly apprciate all feed back, including harsh constructive criticisim. Thank you for your time gentleman.

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    1. Spanish Cedar (nothing else)
    2. 70 degrees/70% is the most widely accepted.
    3. Digital hygrometer is a must (One with a calibrate button is best). Humidification should be either Heartfelt beads (google Heartfelt Industries) or a Humi-care gel jar.
  • Thank you Scarlin. What brand of digital hygrometer would you reccomend?
  • SkippyGun:
    Hello gentlemen! I am newer Thank you for your time gentleman.

I need to make a couple of corrections here... Hello ladies and gentelmen. Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    SkippyGun:
    Thank you Scarlin. What brand of digital hygrometer would you reccomend?
    After a salt test, most work pretty well. Calibrate them every 6 months or so for no worries.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    3. Digital hygrometer is a must (One with a calibrate button is best). Humidification should be either Heartfelt beads (google Heartfelt Industries) or a Humi-care gel jar.
    The Fish swears by kitty litter.
  • Rain:
    scarlin:
    kitty litter?
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    SkippyGun:
    Rain:
    scarlin:
    kitty litter?
    Kitty Litter and Beads are virtually the same principal, Suck up water and release slowly and repeat. If you get either of these get a spray bottle and spray them with distilled water rather than pouring distilled water on them. Distilled water is a must! (Cheap too). As for hygrometers, Xikar is always a good option and have a easy calibration (push 1 button). To calibrate so the "salt test" (google it) or buy a hygrometer calibration packet by boveda or humi-care (Not sure which it is).
  • Awesome! I am definitely look into all the suggeestions that anyone sends. I'm also going to post pics from start to finish. I've made tables and clock cases, but not something in this nature. This is going to be a really cool learning experience!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might as well make a 100 count box as a 50. Just as easy to make and you're going to need it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Might as well make a 100 count box as a 50. Just as easy to make and you're going to need it.

Why not 300? Why not build a walk in?
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    webmost:

+100
    Rain:
    webmost:

Well, that's simple. Think this through: The second one will be more skillfully made than the first. The second is informed by the first. Somewhere round the fourth, away we go.

While after he makes a walk in, he may be too busy smoking and collecting to have time to spare for woodworking at all.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rain:
    webmost:

If you are going to build your own humidor, you probably ought to consider building the largest one you can afford. Converting a closet would be a fun project. (I'd love to do this myself, but I have a wife who seems to own all the closets).

Spanish cedar is highly recomended because it is mold resistant, and allows humidity to travel in and out without any ill effects, and it imparts an odor that is very compatiable with your cigars. The seal on your door will be crucial, as you don't want your humidity to leak out.

Here's an online source for spanish cedar:

http://www.woodnshop.com/Hardwood/SPANISH_CEDAR.htm

I use the Caliber III digital hygrometer/thermometer. Very reliable and not too pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/CALIBER-DIGITAL-HYGROMETER-CIGAR-HUMIDOR/dp/B001CZLO5W

I use the humidity beads from Heartfelt industries too. These are used by museums all over the world to regulate the humidity in the preservation of precious documents. If they're good enough for the US Constitution, they're good enough for my cigars too.

http://heartfeltindustries.com/

Here's a pdf from Fine Woodworking describing a small humidor project

http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDFfree/humidor.pdf

• Thanks JDH!!! I definitely do understand the concept of the larger humidor, everyone. If I think a 50ct is big enough, then I should actually build me a 100ct. That would definitely be a good idea considering the cost is not much more. But I definitely can't make a walk-in. As much as I would love to, I don't have a spare closet. Though I do have a certain set of skills that my grandfather noticed, and molded them to let me be the craftsman I am today. I will definitely shop around for the cedar and the hygrometers. I may even put a glass top on it to let daylight in. I realized, that is a good idea, cause natural light prevents mold, just as much as maintaining the right humidity and temp. Similar concepts in bathrooms without windows.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!
    SkippyGun:
    Thanks JDH!!! I definitely do understand the concept of the larger humidor, everyone. If I think a 50ct is big enough, then I should actually build me a 100ct. That would definitely be a good idea considering the cost is not much more. But I definitely can't make a walk-in. As much as I would love to, I don't have a spare closet. Though I do have a certain set of skills that my grandfather noticed, and molded them to let me be the craftsman I am today. I will definitely shop around for the cedar and the hygrometers. I may even put a glass top on it to let daylight in. I realized, that is a good idea, cause natural light prevents mold, just as much as maintaining the right humidity and temp. Similar concepts in bathrooms without windows.
    If you use glass, NEVER put the humidor indirect sunlight. Diffuse natural light is fine, but direct sunlight can overheat your humidor pretty quickly. If you use low e glass, overheating would be reduced dramatically, but I still wouldn't put it near a window or anywhere direct sunlight could strike it. It is best to store your humidor in a cool part of your house - remember - it's best if your cigars can be kept as close to 70 degrees as possible. Some guys even keep them between 62 and 65.
    kuzi16:
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!
    I would love to build a large floor to ceiling humidor that eats up about half of our hall closet by walling it off and accessing it through a stud bay in my office.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    If you are building your own humidor, pay particular attention to making sure it seals tight. Especially at the door or lid. On my smaller humidor (300ct) I use boveda packs (69*). On my cabinet, I use a combination of Moist-n Aire and beads.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Skippy
    You obviously have high level woodworking skills and tools. Building a humi is a bit different than making a jewelry box.
    That being said, whether you build a 50ct or a 100ct is irrelevant, because there is a 93.7% probability that the 100ct will end up being full by July 10th, 2013, and you'll have storage issues again.
    So, my free advice........
    Build yourself a slick 50ct, stock it with cigars you plan to smoke soon and display it prominently (I wouldn't use any glass).
    Use your other humi for aging your best sticks.
    Then go build a coolidor............you're gonna need it.

• Thank you KingoftheCove. I am currently in process of designing my humidor now. The basic shape is simply rectangluar, but I was thinking of making it roughly 18" tall, almost like a small cabinet with sliding trays. The door will have an interlocking seal. When I get the designs finished, I'm going to try and post them.
  • Here's another one for y'all!!! How hard is it to age cigars the proper way and what is the proper process? Common sense tells me: keep doing what im doing with my current humidor, don't mess with them other than making sure the conditions are correct, and be patient. Is this correct?
    From what I understand, it is ideal to have an aging humi, where you put stuff in and do not open it for extended perionds of time. Something about when you open it a lot, the oxygen messes with the oils.
    Any vets, feel free to help me out ;)
    SkippyGun:
    Thank you KingoftheCove. I am currently in process of designing my humidor now. The basic shape is simply rectangluar, but I was thinking of making it roughly 18" tall, almost like a small cabinet with sliding trays. The door will have an interlocking seal. When I get the designs finished, I'm going to try and post them.
    18" seems awfully darn tall for a 50, skippy. I don't understand the sliding tray thing, unless you mean drawers -- and drawers would be hard to seal shut.

Ought to be able to take a tape measure to any cigar shop and inspect some examples.

• webmost:
    SkippyGun:
    Thank you KingoftheCove. I am currently in process of designing my humidor now. The basic shape is simply rectangluar, but I was thinking of making it roughly 18" tall, almost like a small cabinet with sliding trays. The door will have an interlocking seal. When I get the designs finished, I'm going to try and post them.
    18" seems awfully darn tall for a 50, skippy. I don't understand the sliding tray thing, unless you mean drawers -- and drawers would be hard to seal shut.

Ought to be able to take a tape measure to any cigar shop and inspect some examples.

I know it sounds tall, but it should work. The trays would be similar to drawers, but they slide out like a toolbox and the lid would actually be a door that makes the seal. The humidifier would be at the bottom due to the physics of how the way moisture moves. Warm air rises, bringing moisture with it. therefore, humid air travels upwards. As a failsafe, I would leave room at the top for another humidifier. The trays would have some holes drilled for proper flow and even maturing. I've put a lot of thought into this and I think it will work. Its a different design and i think it would work. Any suggestions and criticisim is welcome!!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think your design sounds like it will be a nice humidor. I've thought of making a humidor many times and some day I will build a cabinet, probably a loooooong time from now. Can you post a picture of what your plan is, I'd like to see a before and after shot. Good luck!
  • bigharpoon:
    I think your design sounds like it will be a nice humidor. I've thought of making a humidor many times and some day I will build a cabinet, probably a loooooong time from now. Can you post a picture of what your plan is, I'd like to see a before and after shot. Good luck!
    As soon as I get my designs finished, I will post them. I like woodworking. Its peaceful. Much like a cigar, fishing and a beer. :-) The life is good.
    SkippyGun:
    webmost:
    SkippyGun:

I know it sounds tall, but it should work. The trays would be similar to drawers, but they slide out like a toolbox and the lid would actually be a door that makes the seal. The humidifier would be at the bottom due to the physics of how the way moisture moves. Warm air rises, bringing moisture with it. therefore, humid air travels upwards. As a failsafe, I would leave room at the top for another humidifier. The trays would have some holes drilled for proper flow and even maturing. I've put a lot of thought into this and I think it will work. Its a different design and i think it would work. Any suggestions and criticisim is welcome!!!
    http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Your design sounds really interesting. It's always good to think considerably and deliberately about how something will work before starting to cut . Sounds like you are just about ready. However, you ought to consider putting one of these in each of your trays for humidification, and not relying on all humidification being stored in the bottom.

• JDH:
    SkippyGun:
    webmost:
    SkippyGun:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Your design sounds really interesting. It's always good to think considerably and deliberately about how something will work before starting to cut . Sounds like you are just about ready. However, you ought to consider putting one of these in each of your trays for humidification, and not relying on all humidification being stored in the bottom.

That is a wonderful suggestion! Thank you! They would be a better device to use considering that this is going to be my first humidor, and I know I may have some trouble with the seal on my door. I'm currently still in the process of designing. Detail on this one is extremely important to me. I'm a stickler for details, fitment, and craftsmanship.
  • SkippyGunSkippyGun Posts: 23
    Hey y'all! It's been awhile since I posted anything about making my humidor. I haven't made it yet. I'm having trouble getting ahold of wood in general. Especially the Spanish Cedar. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use cigar boxes for my liner source. I'll have to do a double layer liner, but it'll be worth it once it complete. I'm on a strict budget. I did manage to take one cigar box and make a cigar case though! I made it for my uncle because he tends to crush a couple here and there. I've got one pic and I'm going to post more. It's my first box of any sort that I've made. I just have to figure out how to post pictures from my cell phone. Lol.