Home Cigar 101

Humi-care Gel or Rectangular Humidification?

I have a decent size humidor with about 100-125 cigars and during the past month or so, I haven't been able to keep my humidor at the right humidity. I currently have three rectangular humidifier's and I want to know if I should switch to the Gel? Does the gel do a better job then the rectangular humidifier? Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Boveda
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Boveda
    Def go with Boveda
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Kitty litter...it easy. sounds complicated, but it's easy. lasts longer then boveda. check the link Catfish kitty litter
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i used bovedas for a long time never had a problme with them.just recently swicthed to crystals. they seem to hold betweem 68 to 70 consistently.just need to fill them with distilled water occasionaly
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Kitty litter...it easy. sounds complicated, but it's easy. lasts longer then boveda. check the link Catfish kitty litter
    +1.
    After finding out about the kitty litter crystals from Catfish, I switched from beads to the crystals.
    I just bought 8 lbs from the grocery store for $8.
    Make sure you get non-scented and that.

But I've been on the crystals for about a month now and no fluctuations at all.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Has anyone tried the beads as a humidification device? I have heard that you never have to replace them as long as you take care of them, but any personal experiences?
    I recently switched from rectangular to beads. Couldnt get enought bead to fit in the humidor to hold proper humidity. I was blessed with Kitty Litter since then and havent had issues yet. I am in my Humi a lot and just didnt have great luck with beads holding rh. She holds firm with the kitty litter.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beads, like anything else can go bad, develop mold or have problems.
    They do last quite a while and are easier to deal with in the humidifier than the foam, but if you are dealing with the cup/puck style humidifier, you are almost better off pitching it and using a bowl of crystals or beads.

I have an electronic humidifier in my tower and it currently has beads in it. Which I will switch out to crystals when it gets to the point where the start to discolor.

It all amounts to preference.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    Beads, like anything else can go bad, develop mold or have problems.
    They do last quite a while and are easier to deal with in the humidifier than the foam, but if you are dealing with the cup/puck style humidifier, you are almost better off pitching it and using a bowl of crystals or beads.

I have an electronic humidifier in my tower and it currently has beads in it. Which I will switch out to crystals when it gets to the point where the start to discolor.

It all amounts to preference.
    well said.