Home Cigar 101
Options

PG Seasoning?

A friend just purchased a new humidor and came to me asking about seasoning it. I use distilled water in a shot glass and PG solution in the humidifier method. But he is in Iraq and distilled water is not readily available. My question is what do you think the outcome of replacing the shot glass of distilled water with PG would be? I could also break his heart and tell him that he is going to have to wait another 2-3 weeks and order the Boveda Seasoning Kit. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    forgetfulrobot:
    A friend just purchased a new humidor and came to me asking about seasoning it. I use distilled water in a shot glass and PG solution in the humidifier method. But he is in Iraq and distilled water is not readily available. My question is what do you think the outcome of replacing the shot glass of distilled water with PG would be? I could also break his heart and tell him that he is going to have to wait another 2-3 weeks and order the Boveda Seasoning Kit. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?
    The shot glass and distilled water is just to make it happen quicker, technically you can fill the humidifier with the PG solution and it will season, just no as fast (the more surface area for water to evaporate the better)

But in a pinch, and guys correct me if I'm wrong, the only reason for distilled water is impurities and build-up from like calcium and such. Well if distilled water is just boiled water re-condnsed, than couldn't you use regular tap water for the particles that evaporate from the shot glass would be kind of pseudo condensed and the impurities would remain in the glass???
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    actually, yeah, that's a good point. If it's not going in the humidifier, then it will all be taken out after seasoning. I may be missing something, but your logic is sound. also, I usually use something wider and shallower than a shot glass. Like the lid of a tupperware.
  • Options
    Lasabar, that does make a good point in theory. I'm very curious as to what some will have to say. I think it does make sense but I was never much of a chem guy. It is possible that some are light enough to be lifted by the evaporating water.
  • Options
    if it is light enough to vaporize before water, then it would be in distilled water also. That is why chemists and biologists use deionized water, instead of distilled water. It's the next step.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to go ahead and advise him to just throw some bottled water in a shallow dish with a humidifier and fill that with PG. It makes perfectly good sense but I don't know why every other person in the world says that the water in the bowl must be distilled. Any objections?
  • Options
    he could BUILD a still! and make distilled water for the whole ARMY!!!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nsezell:
    And then resell the soldiers urine to them!!!

"This tastes familiar"
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    nsezell:
    And then resell the soldiers urine to them!!!

"This tastes familiar"
    "Yeah but I can't tell whats familiar about it......MILLER it tastes like Miller!"