Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    No smokes for me tonight... and yesterday I didn't smoke the Hemingway yesterday, I switched to a San Cristobal Robusto...

Unfortunately the year it sat in the humi didn't change the flavor profile. It was good at first but turned to just ash and bitter... boo
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:
    gmill880:
    Had another R&J Reserve Maduro today at work ...everything else I had on hand at work seemed a little overhumidified in my travel humi -that thing is airtight and I believe with the humi pack in there it was a little much ...The R&J was awsome as always though ...
    On another note has anyone ever tried the Cusano Killer Cameroons ? I have only seen these one place and they look interesting but I have not heard anything about them ...any of you guys ever smoked them ?
    Is it actually called "Killer Cameroon"? That's pretty interesting if so, I have never heard of it.

Went out and had a 777 Robusto earlier, this one was just as good as the first one I had, razor-shap burn, excellent flavor. I damn near burned my fingers on it, lol.

Yeah Tony it actually has the words Killer Cameroon on it ...very interesting looking ...I think i'll pick up one to just try and see what its all about ...
    Did you find them in a shop or online? I've never heard of those before. The only Cusano Cameroon I've seen is the "Rare." Does sound interesting though! lol Damn marketing execs!!!

Its in a shop ...the same one I found the very old Cusano Hermanos vintage in ...just googled it and it sounds good ...1996 African Cameroon wrapper , dominican filler and binder , sounds very intriquing ...

Also seems they have been discontinued for several years !?!? A 1996 Vintage African Cameroon wrapper ...I did pick one up a corona tonight on the way home ...I start a 3 day weekend tommorow ...woohoo ...
    Might be time to work another trade, eh Gene? :) Let us know how it is.
    Will do Joe ...getting ready to head to the hot tub with it now ...will let you know ..

finished the Cusano Killer Cameroon a little while ago while relaxing in the hot tub with some michelob ultra. You could tell this cigar has been in the store awhile. When I took it out of the cello a piece of the wrapper came off. Maybe I was handling it to rough I don't know. Corona size. Prelight aroma has a distinct barnyard and old tobacco smell to it. Lit easily but uneven ( possible my fault again-compliments of Mr Michelob) Hoping the torn wrapper wont be a hassel. Begins with a tobaccoey woodsy flavor with a slightly sweet finish. About a third in I believe its more of a nice leathery taste with some spice thrown in and every once in awhile hints of sweetness. A little over halfway pepper and spice with prominet leather flavor. Having to relight several times and correct uneven burn several times but heading down to the end leather and now mild pepper round it out although I think the torn wrapper has hindered it a bit. When the band comes off its several shades darker than the rest of the cigar. I have talked to the lady that manages this tobacco store and she said they were just now starting to really pay attention to the cigar humidor and try to figure out what to order and what had been there "too long' and that they recently had 'to remove some old inventory'. I think this cigar had been there a long time and how thats affected it I'm not sure yet. This cigar had some burn issues and the flaked off wrapper but was it me or the condition of the cigar...I can't answer that question. I did enjoy it and it had enough good flavor to warrent picking up a few more to see where they go. With having only smoked the one I have a feeling with some time in the humi they would be decent at least. On a side note though I am beginning to realize I am really enjoying more and more some of the cigars I smoke in the corona size ...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Fuentes Don Carlos #3.. Excellent in every way from start to finish. I've had this one sitting in my humidor for about 8 months, ever since our friend Vince O. started raving about this fine stick... Believe everything the man says, it was great.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Today was a Fuentes Don Carlos #3.. Excellent in every way from start to finish. I've had this one sitting in my humidor for about 8 months, ever since our friend Vince O. started raving about this fine stick... Believe everything the man says, it was great.

The DC #3 has become a favorite of mine as well a truly savory smoke ...that may help with one of this weekends decisions ...
  • Options
    Don Carlos has been moved to the box purchase list..the problem is the 200+ for the box. I have a #4 and a Robusto to hold me over for a while though.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    RP CT Robusto! Very smooth and creamy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Don Carlos has been moved to the box purchase list..the problem is the 200+ for the box. I have a #4 and a Robusto to hold me over for a while though.
    Have you checked on auction? I picked up a box of the DC #3 last year for around $150.

I had two excellent cigars today. In the afternoon I opened up a box of Padron 3000 habanos that have been resting since December, the time has done them very well and the cigar was great. To finish off the night I had a Padilla Signature 1932 churchill, I've already said enough about this cigar that you guys know where I stand on it, absolutely incredible from start to finish, clocked in right around the 2 hour mark.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Nothing for me tonight. Frustrating since I just recieved my first ever online purchase of cigars. 2 each of 6 different Pepin blends. Man I cant wait to fire one up. Thinking of starting off with the JJ maduro. Probably have to wait till Monday night cause of work all weekend. Hope my cigars are ok in a ziplock with a water pillow. Still havent broken the bank to get a humi.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    ever since our friend Vince O. started raving about this fine stick... Believe everything the man says, it was great.

Funny...he got me smoking DC #3's....outstanding smoke!

Tonight i went to the Rocky Patel event at my b&m and smoked myself silly! Rocky was on hand, just as cool as ever. Started with a Nicarao which was cocoa-buttery smooth, moved onto a Rennaisance which if you ever get the chance is an outstanding cigar and ended up on a Decade which i absolutley love. All RP cigars were 1/2 off if smoked in the store and they combined that with my military discount. Great night!
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a Graycliff Original tonight. My first smoke in over a month because its been so damned hot. I thought the first third was awesome, then it got a little so so. I said to myself, self, why not try to roll the smoke through the nose. I have never done this much before. I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit and it made the rest of the smoke as good as the first third. Im not good at describing smells or tastes, but I guess I would say it was woodsy, with an occasional chlorine up the nose sensation, which leads me to believe with age this would be even better.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Went on a fishing trip on Lake Erie yesterday...did catch jack but smoke two new smokes...H. Upman Cabinet Selection and SL Rey. Loved the Upman, the SL Rey was pretty pedestrian.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Went up to the local cigar bar and had a beer, smoked a RP Decade and watched the Braves game.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Was sorting through the coolerdor and found a tenner of Padilla 1932's I'd forgotten about. There's only nine now.
  • Options
    Stew3223Stew3223 Posts: 15
    Nothing for me tonight. Im stuck inside with a cold.  I wouldnt be able to taste anything anyways :(  I can only look forward to some great smokes resting in my humi, including a Padron 1964 I splurged on for my Bday.

• Options
    It was time to revisit a favorite.. La Aurora 1495/1994 Cameroon. Woody, hint of nuts, cocoa, spice, Perfect burn with a solid white ash, My supply is getting low.
  • Options
    KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    Rockey Patel Summer Collection
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a Nub Habano tonight. It was ok. Not realy the cigar profile I usually go for. Although, I did get to do a Nubstand.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Smoked a Gurkha something last nite, not sure what it was, barber pole wrapper, left over from some kind of sampler. Had plume all over it. First two puffs were spicy, second two were sweet and spicy, kinda nutty. Fifth and sixth were the same but a with a nasty aftertaste, very bitter, with coal-tar flavor. That went away, smoked another inch of it and enjoyed it, then hit that taste again, a totally vomit-inducing tar aftertaste, complete with a chocolate-brown/black tar coming out of the end of the cigar that was in my mouth, and no doubt the source of the vomit-wrenching "flavor"...

Aweful...I've only ever had that exact same flavor/tar on one other cigar which was a macanudo maduro. I laid the Gurkha to rest after less than an inch and a half was smoked.

I'm not sure what caused that burning plastic flavor, but I'm sure I'll run into it again, but hopefully not for quite a while. One other note, there was no unusual smell involved which leads me to beleive that it was something to do with the actual tobacco in the cigar. Although while I was dry-heaving from the aftertaste it is possible I missed the smell of whatever caused the aftertaste.
  • Options
    Did not smoke anything saturday ---hung out at the inlaws house , They had their 3rd annual BBQ and picnic of their street. About a hundred people, everyone on the street then friends some from the other end of the state, becoming quite a yearly thing. Held at their neighbors house. More food and deserts than a small army could have eaten ...oh my god was it ever delicious. Smoked pork , chicken , ribs , uummm. Won't eat much today but will be enjoying the hot tub , some 10 Cane Rum , or some Michelob or some Tortuga ...damn decisions...thinking maybe a DC of some size since their getting some love on here recently ...
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    It was time to revisit a favorite.. La Aurora 1495/1994 Cameroon. Woody, hint of nuts, cocoa, spice, Perfect burn with a solid white ash, My supply is getting low.

Drools and smacks lips ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

Drools and smacks lips ...
    Yeah Geno, It's that good. /o /o /o .
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Stew3223:
    including a Padron 1964 I splurged on for my Bday.

Ha, I just did the same thing (which will give it a little over a month to rest). Also have a VSG and an ISOM on hand for it.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Smoked a Gurkha something last nite, not sure what it was, barber pole wrapper, left over from some kind of sampler. Had plume all over it. First two puffs were spicy, second two were sweet and spicy, kinda nutty. Fifth and sixth were the same but a with a nasty aftertaste, very bitter, with coal-tar flavor. That went away, smoked another inch of it and enjoyed it, then hit that taste again, a totally vomit-inducing tar aftertaste, complete with a chocolate-brown/black tar coming out of the end of the cigar that was in my mouth, and no doubt the source of the vomit-wrenching "flavor"...

Aweful...I've only ever had that exact same flavor/tar on one other cigar which was a macanudo maduro. I laid the Gurkha to rest after less than an inch and a half was smoked.

I'm not sure what caused that burning plastic flavor, but I'm sure I'll run into it again, but hopefully not for quite a while. One other note, there was no unusual smell involved which leads me to beleive that it was something to do with the actual tobacco in the cigar. Although while I was dry-heaving from the aftertaste it is possible I missed the smell of whatever caused the aftertaste.
    Sounds like the Gurkha Enigma, I believe it was only available in samplers. I didn't really care for the one I had, but I didn't get a tar/burnt plastic taste, just wasn't a very good cigar.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Last night was a Gurkha Turk, not bad...tasted like another gurkha i had but it's not like thats a big suprise. This morning was Verdadero Organic...nice, really nice...think i found me a new morning cigar. But i do have an Olive Conni on tap for tomorrow morning, since those have been getting some love on here recently. I think later on will be RP 92(got the jones for one) and tonight an OpusX Robusto.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Graycliff 1666 Torpedo that I received in a PIF a few months back. Smoked it along with a couple of bottles of Conway's Irish Ale. Hi guys, it's good to be back:)
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't now if I'm going to smoke over the next few days... I brought along on my business trip to Arizona
    1. Arturo Fuente (13 months)
    2. Rocky Patel Fusion Double MM (13 months)
    3. Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto (12 Months)
    4. Punch Double Corona (12 Months)
    5. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Corona (12 Months)

But I don't know if anyone has been to freeeeeeking Arizona, but it's FLIPPLIN' HOTT!!! I may not smoke for you can only smoke outdoors and Me Don't Likey Heat
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I had a Rocky Patel Edge today, great smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a Perdomo ESV 91 2nd with a couple of months on it, haven't had one in a while. Damn they are good, and I just realized I am getting low.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Giving my Padilla Series 68 Robusto another chance and she's winning me over. Nice creamy flavor.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I don't now if I'm going to smoke over the next few days... I brought along on my business trip to Arizona
    1. Arturo Fuente (13 months)
    2. Rocky Patel Fusion Double MM (13 months)
    3. Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto (12 Months)
    4. Punch Double Corona (12 Months)
    5. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Corona (12 Months)

But I don't know if anyone has been to freeeeeeking Arizona, but it's FLIPPLIN' HOTT!!! I may not smoke for you can only smoke outdoors and Me Don't Likey Heat

Was there Feb. 08 --Stayed at the The Boulders Resort ...Company paid trip ...Visited The Desert Mountain Club and the Cochise/Geronimo Clubhouse for a great night of food and entertainment and smoked some very good cigars in one of the most beautiful and scenic surroundings I have ever seen ...I would love to go back ...