Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Smoked my first AB Tempus (a long one) tonight. I have wanted to smoke one of these for a long time and was not disapointed. A very very good smoke with lots of rich smoke. I was more about just relaxing and enjoying the cigar than trying to pick out flavors but I would definitly recommend these , a very relaxing enjoyable almost two hours !!! Interrumped only once as it seems one of my dogs got spider bit !!! But she seems ok still acting like herself and playing ...damn spider... Anyways to anyone who has not tried one I highly reccomend it .
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I don't now if I'm going to smoke over the next few days... I brought along on my business trip to Arizona
    1. Arturo Fuente (13 months)
    2. Rocky Patel Fusion Double MM (13 months)
    3. Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto (12 Months)
    4. Punch Double Corona (12 Months)
    5. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Corona (12 Months)

But I don't know if anyone has been to freeeeeeking Arizona, but it's FLIPPLIN' HOTT!!! I may not smoke for you can only smoke outdoors and Me Don't Likey Heat
    I spent two weeks earlier this year in remote desert about a 1 hour drive north of the US Army's Yuma Proving Grounds. There was a V22 Osprey that went down there and I spent the entire time upside down beneath the cockpit floor boards putting all the flight controls back together. It was not an enjoyable time. Though we did enjoy some good drinks and some Cohibas at the Staff NCO Club at MCAS Yuma after we finally got the bird back up in the air and heading back to Maryland. I am not looking forward to going back to Arizona any time soon.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Smoked my first AB Tempus (a long one) tonight. I have wanted to smoke one of these for a long time and was not disapointed. A very very good smoke with lots of rich smoke. I was more about just relaxing and enjoying the cigar than trying to pick out flavors but I would definitly recommend these , a very relaxing enjoyable almost two hours !!! Interrumped only once as it seems one of my dogs got spider bit !!! But she seems ok still acting like herself and playing ...damn spider... Anyways to anyone who has not tried one I highly reccomend it .
    Great cigar Gene. I've had a couple and was blown away by how good they were. I hadn't been overly impressed with anything AB until I had a Tempus.

Today was a good three cigar day...even though I do have to eat a bit of crow after the third. For starters I had a Felipe Power Triple R, a good cigar though I think I need to let the remaining ones rest for a good while. Up to bat later was a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño belicoso, which is a cigar I've been raving about on here since the first one I smoked. Awesome stick for anyone who likes a peppery, full bodied Nicaraguan puro. And finally (hold on, I'm still choking down some crow feathers) was a Fuente Don Carlos #3...I've said a couple times over the past couple weeks that I didn't think any Fuente cigars were all that great...well, I was wrong, the Don Carlos is the real deal. The first couple I had didn't do so well for me, they got a lot of tar build-up and the flavor was not that impressive, so I just kinda buried the box...well, here we are about a year later and good golly miss molly, this cigar is fan-freakin-tastic, great flavor and complexity with a healthy dose of power built into it, smoked like a dream too with no tar build-up at all. I guess time is the key for the Don Carlos...either way, I'm sold.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    Great cigar Gene. I've had a couple and was blown away by how good they were. I hadn't been overly impressed with anything AB until I had a Tempus.

Today was a good three cigar day...even though I do have to eat a bit of crow after the third. For starters I had a Felipe Power Triple R, a good cigar though I think I need to let the remaining ones rest for a good while. Up to bat later was a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño belicoso, which is a cigar I've been raving about on here since the first one I smoked. Awesome stick for anyone who likes a peppery, full bodied Nicaraguan puro. And finally (hold on, I'm still choking down some crow feathers) was a Fuente Don Carlos #3...I've said a couple times over the past couple weeks that I didn't think any Fuente cigars were all that great...well, I was wrong, the Don Carlos is the real deal. The first couple I had didn't do so well for me, they got a lot of tar build-up and the flavor was not that impressive, so I just kinda buried the box...well, here we are about a year later and good golly miss molly, this cigar is fan-freakin-tastic, great flavor and complexity with a healthy dose of power built into it, smoked like a dream too with no tar build-up at all. I guess time is the key for the Don Carlos...either way, I'm sold.
    Love the AB Tempus and the DC #3 is a great one as well. I know what you mean about the tar build up, but like you stated, Joe, they get ever better with age.

I had a couple good smokes tonight. Had an El Truinfador earlier in the evening. Started out a bit hard on the draw but eased up and became great as usual. Later tonight was MOW Ruination Robusto #1. These cigars are great and get better and better every time I smoke one. Plenty of spice that is not too overpowering then a bit of sweetness develops about mid way that compliments the power ever so pleasantly.
  • Options
    The DC took some age just to get good for me. Maybe I got some really fresh ones or something when I bought them, but I just couldn't get more than a few enjoyable puffs out of the two I attempted smoking. Good choice with the El Triunfador Brandon, I really like that cigar, perhaps my favorite PJ creation.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Had a Erin Go Bragh. Pretty much affirmed that I don't like flavored smokes. The sweetened cap tasted a bit odd since I haven't had anything with a sweet cap in about 9 months.
  • Options
    I found a cigar.com cuban label that had buried itself in my humidor for a few months. Nice flavor, but nothing spectacular. I did suffer a casualty about half way through when as I raised it to my lips, an inch long piece of ash fell into my cocktail.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Lasabar:
    I don't now if I'm going to smoke over the next few days... I brought along on my business trip to Arizona

But I don't know if anyone has been to freeeeeeking Arizona, but it's FLIPPLIN' HOTT!!! I may not smoke for you can only smoke outdoors and Me Don't Likey Heat
    I was there during Labor day weekend for an implementation. IT SUCKED!!! The high was 119 with most days at 114.
  • Options
    I had a bunch this weekend. Hrm........ Where to start. Friday night I had a Sol Cubano Artisan. It started off good but then it started raining. I was on my porch but the wind kept blowing in rain so it went downhill.

Saturday was a rare 4 cigar day for me. Started with a Gurkha LXIII Platinum driving down to Englishtown for Waterfest. At Waterfest I had a RP Decade Torpedo. Nice cigar but got some tar buildup. Even when I cut more off you could see the tar started much earlier. After Waterfest I went to a picnic in Toms River where I had my third cigar, a Man O' War Ruination. It was the first one I have had. It started off a little bitter but got much better. I almost nubbed it. It was putting me to sleep it was so strong. To finish the night, I had a Centurion. This cigar isn't doing much for me. It was ok and did not really change flavors at all. I have a *** load of these. This one probably had 6 months or more of age. Probably more. Maybe it was a fluke but I remember previous ones being better.

Yesterday I wanted something different so I had an Oliva Connie. It was nice and creamy. Not a favorite but good non the less.

I just got back from a walk at lunch and had a La Aurora 1495 1994. Not really digging this cigar. The last few have been bitter. I think this cigar might need a higher rH. The cellophane always seems to be a little dry and when I cut it, the head cracked a little bit. I only got two boxes of these so I don't have that many left. Maybe 15. I'm gonna move a few to a higher rH and see how they smoke after that.

My friend suggested that I sell some of my ~700 cigars because I am trying to get a house. It's a great idea but I just can't seem to bring myself to selling some. Decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Had a Gurkha Centurian before work today; was an average cigar. Smoking a Torano cigar of some sort soon, hope that's better. Also had a Rocky Patel Royal Vintage yesterday, and I really enjoyed it!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey wheelwright, If you decide to move some of those 1495/1994's, I'll be glad to work something out with you.. They are one of my favorites and I have very few left. About the bitterness, I have noticed that the first few minutes of this cigar is not a fair example of where they end up. At least the ones I have enjoyed.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:

I was there during Labor day weekend for an implementation. IT SUCKED!!! The high was 119 with most days at 114.
    Looking closer at a map and with the common knowledge that Florida is America's ****, and with Arizona being so hot and allot of people claiming how much it sucked...

I would like to officially call Arizona that A$$Hole of America (that is if California wouldn't mind being the Buttcheeks)
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    I just finished a Padilla Habano. It was my first Padilla. It was very good, but not much smoke. My B & M has a Gurkha event Saturday.
  • Options
    Today was a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet churchill segundo...I shouldn't even mention the segundo part, because it really doesn't apply. Awesome construction, perfect burn, great draw...nothing that says second to me. Later was a La Flor Dominicana Factory Press that was gifted to me by our good friend Gino Bambino, great cigar even though I abused it a bit (closed the head in the humidor lid, set it under the humidifier where it got all squishy). Thanks for that one Gene, you've got some good taste in cigars friend.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Smoked a Oliva Serie G cameroon, and an A Fernandez Signature robusto. Gonna start out tomorrow morning with an Ashton VSG Illusion with coffee.
  • Options
    Just came in from a 5 Vegas Cask Strength 2 that had 7 months on it. Excellent stick, really fantastic smoke. WAY better then when I'd first gotten them, which says something since I loved it then.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey wheelwright, If you decide to move some of those 1495/1994's, I'll be glad to work something out with you.. They are one of my favorites and I have very few left. About the bitterness, I have noticed that the first few minutes of this cigar is not a fair example of where they end up. At least the ones I have enjoyed.
    I just tried to raise the rH in that humi. If that doesn't help with the flavor I'll let you know.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    last night i had a carlos torano casa torano.

this was the first time that i smoked one.
    does anyone else have any experience with this smoke?
    i found it to be much more mild than i thought it would be.
  • Options
    Kuzi, we reviewed that exact cigar last night. It was mild for me, but I still enjoyed it. Ranked it 38.5/50 or something like that, which is pretty decent. decent, subtle sweetness with a cool burnt sugar/leather flavor.
  • Options
    Just had an ITC Split Decision during my walk. Didn't get to finish it cause I had to come in for a meeting but finished 3/4 of it. It was decent. Had to relight a few times but that always happens when I got for a walk.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Today at work so far has been a DE Isla Del Sol ...always good if you like coffey flavored sticks and then a 5 Vegas Miami ...smoked it down to the nub ...umm umm good ...May light up one more tonight not sure yet ...
  • Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    betasynn:
    Kuzi, we reviewed that exact cigar last night. It was mild for me, but I still enjoyed it. Ranked it 38.5/50 or something like that, which is pretty decent. decent, subtle sweetness with a cool burnt sugar/leather flavor.
    I had the Maduro version this evening ..tasty..ill post the review on my site soon
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    last night i had a carlos torano casa torano.

this was the first time that i smoked one.
    does anyone else have any experience with this smoke?
    i found it to be much more mild than i thought it would be.
    I too was a bit surprised by how mild it was, but I thought it had a pretty good taste going.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Joe, Today I had one of your Bauzas you sent me a while back.. I loved it ! Thanks again.
  • Options
    I'm smoking a la bonita orange label mas gordo as we speak, with two months on it. Currently holding a 4 inch ash, flavor is creamy, smooth, and just unreal. Great cigar, I really gotta try and get them out in trades.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Joe, Today I had one of your Bauzas you sent me a while back.. I loved it ! Thanks again.
    Glad there was some enjoyment to be had of them. I don't know what it is, but something about the flavor just didn't click with me. Oh well, can't like them all or I'd be poor. :)

Today was a Rocky Patel Decade toro in the afternoon. I'm really, really liking this cigar the more I smoke them, Rocky done good with this one. Later was a Padilla Miami robusto, my first robusto of the blend and it was very tasty, perhaps more so than the churchill.
  • Options
    Just finished a Hemingway Work of Art. Again, I really don't like this smoke. It's been aging since September. It just leaves me hanging. I can barely taste the cameroon. It's almost bitter but not. Hard to explain but I don't get really any of the flavors I like and it is nothing compared to the Signature or Classic. I never really liked the short story either so maybe it has something to do with the smaller sizes.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had a pretty nice day of smoking cigars. Started off the day with an Oliva V Maduro to celebrate an accomplishment at work. After several months resting, this was fantastic and powerful. Didn't put me on my butt or anything but I could definitely feel an effect from it.

After starting off the day so powerful I actually took a step back and tried a Perdomo Lot 23 Habano Robusto. Very nice cigar that I nubbed. Finally I'm finishing the night with a Cruzado Elitas (6 X 44). I'm really enjoying this cigar. It has a pleasant spice and plenty of sweetness to it. I like the Illusiones so well, I was wondering whether I'd like this slightly toned down blend from Dion Giolito. Very nice I must say.
  • Options
    Just enjoyed an Acid 1400cc for the first time.  I really enjoyed this smoke!
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Had a series JJ Maduro torp this morning was actually really good. Nice draw, didnt have to worry about the burn, some really nice flavors in there. Great stick if you get a decent price. 10 dollars plus a stick if you buy a single they are not worth. I got 2 for 3 bucks a piece in a sampler so they were totally worth it. Well see how the other one is.

Had a pepin blue robusto last night. Think I got a bad one. There were a ton of blemishes on the wrapper and one giant vein. The draw and burn were good taste was ok a lot of stale tobacco taste though. I didnt get that from another blue label I smoked a few months back. I have one more blue label robusto and the wrapper on that one is georgeous so maybe I really got a bad one. Still enjoyed most of it though. Love that peppery start for that cigar.

Have to chose in the morning between a 5 Vegas Miami a Cuban Classic a CI Legends Pepin or a series jj sublime. Im leaning toward the JJ or the 5 vegas.