Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    I need recommendations on a deep sea set up. Nothing hardcore. Just something for rock fish, small seabass, barracuda etc. (No spin reels)
    calcutta and a tfo inshore rod!! The tfo rods are carbon fiber so it's a pretty sweet rod with a lifetime warrenty!!
    How much are we talkin for this set up? I was hoping to get away with a set up under $200.
    oof lol the reel is a few hundred but the rod is $100. The rod is worth it's weight in gold! I use it with the Abu Garcia toro series but that's close to a $400 combo. If your good with cleaning stuff a lot I'd just stick with the regular round bait casters and do a bearing upgrade to ceramic so the salt doesn't eat them
    What line do you reccommend?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    danielzreyes:
    james40:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    Stupid question...but WTH....I normally have fished the last few years for salmon from the shore. Now, I'm around lakes and no ocean so I need to transition over to trout fishing. Any specific weight or brand of line I should look for? And if you can think of a good basic rod and reel (new) set-up that's $75 or less I'd appreciate it.
    jim for trout I'd go with a med/light rod and around2-4# test hybrid line...p-line flouroclear is pretty good stuff. As for rod and reel combos I would say go St croix triumph for rod and a shimano seirra for the reel. It should run around $80-90 depending on where you go to buy it. Don't buy a huge reel or else you will need a bum load of line lol
    would this work for bass and catfish river/lake fishing, both from the shore and a boat? I have the $40 Ugly Stick spinner combo and looking for a nicer upgrade. Or would I be better off just upgrading the real? Not sure if a bait cast reel is needed for this (never used one). Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow.
    James, a baitcaster takes a lot, and I mean a lot of practice. Btw, you gonna be in Rancho Tomorrow?
    No, Vegas baby. Thanks for the suggestions from you and Lee and everyone else.
  • james40:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    Stupid question...but WTH....I normally have fished the last few years for salmon from the shore. Now, I'm around lakes and no ocean so I need to transition over to trout fishing. Any specific weight or brand of line I should look for? And if you can think of a good basic rod and reel (new) set-up that's $75 or less I'd appreciate it.
    jim for trout I'd go with a med/light rod and around2-4# test hybrid line...p-line flouroclear is pretty good stuff. As for rod and reel combos I would say go St croix triumph for rod and a shimano seirra for the reel. It should run around $80-90 depending on where you go to buy it. Don't buy a huge reel or else you will need a bum load of line lol
    would this work for bass and catfish river/lake fishing, both from the shore and a boat? I have the $40 Ugly Stick spinner combo and looking for a nicer upgrade. Or would I be better off just upgrading the real? Not sure if a bait cast reel is needed for this (never used one). Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow.
    might be a little light for catfish and bass depending on the size you are going after.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    I need recommendations on a deep sea set up. Nothing hardcore. Just something for rock fish, small seabass, barracuda etc. (No spin reels)
    calcutta and a tfo inshore rod!! The tfo rods are carbon fiber so it's a pretty sweet rod with a lifetime warrenty!!
    How much are we talkin for this set up? I was hoping to get away with a set up under $200.
    oof lol the reel is a few hundred but the rod is $100. The rod is worth it's weight in gold! I use it with the Abu Garcia toro series but that's close to a $400 combo. If your good with cleaning stuff a lot I'd just stick with the regular round bait casters and do a bearing upgrade to ceramic so the salt doesn't eat them
    What line do you reccommend?
    man that is a tough one!! I like flourocarbon for most everything but braid is another one. Depending on how many yards I'd go flourocarbon. Pretty much because you won't have to keep tying leaders
    Money can't buy taste
    Ugh stupid weather!! Please become more stable soon!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Another fishing setup Q. Recommendations for a setup fishing for stripers. Not necessarily brand, just an overall setup.
    I ended up picking up a Pflueger Presidente 6900 spinner reel and a Shimano Sellus one piece rod. I had them put the line on and evertyhing looks and feels great. It's a tall rod (7'2") so I'm looking forward to using this bad boy. I have Otay Lakes (bass/bluegill/catfish) near me but if anyone wants to get together soon, let me know. I'm dying to test this bad boy out once I get over my flu. Thanks for the help.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    caught my first 5 bass of the season this morning on a combo of a silver/black rapala original floater and a black/blue chatter bait while smoking a AB Black Market.........would have been a great morning if it wasn't for me falling in the damn lake when a rock i was standing on shifted.
    Congrats on your catch and thanks for providing your bait usage.
    james40:
    Congrats on your catch and thanks for providing your bait usage.
    always......i never understood the hiding what you were using thing unless you are a pro. I have a couple of guys i know who flat out will try and hide what they are using to catch fish if you look or ask.
    so let's say it is May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Let's say that it is 35 degrees and raining/sleeting/snowing.

Where do you think the bass will be?

in 1-7 foot of water would be the answer. Absolutely amazing, a friend caught a 6lb heffer sitting on a log in 1 foot of water after tossing a topwater on her head. Fishing trip sucked big *** because of the weather, but cleaned around 35 crappie over 12in and 7 bass over 16in....biggest being that 20in 6lber.
    brianetz1:
    so let's say it is May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Let's say that it is 35 degrees and raining/sleeting/snowing.

Where do you think the bass will be?

in 1-7 foot of water would be the answer. Absolutely amazing, a friend caught a 6lb heffer sitting on a log in 1 foot of water after tossing a topwater on her head. Fishing trip sucked big *** because of the weather, but cleaned around 35 crappie over 12in and 7 bass over 16in....biggest being that 20in 6lber.
    hahaha yeah they are pretty odd fish!! The big ones spawn earlier in the year...a tad after the crappy. But I always have had a thing for fishing ledges. Not sure why maybe do to loving big ass jigs and really setting the hook! Personally I like at least 5-10ft of water but it also comes down to the thermocline. But cold fronts can stop a bass in its tracks! Thanks for sharing and glad you got the fiver out of the way!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Picked up this big lady tonight at a local pond. About 5 foot of water on a fast retrieve on a shallow diving stickbait

photo 19B2B1F4-34CB-4CD9-BD8C-27E41E6426C7-1696-0000021C9E0D94B4_zpscabdb31f.jpg
    NICE. It looks like she ate your left arm.
    Nice!! She's a thing of beauty right there!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    There's going to be some surprised anglers this weekend for the fishing opener here!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Picked up this big lady tonight at a local pond. About 5 foot of water on a fast retrieve on a shallow diving stickbait

photo 19B2B1F4-34CB-4CD9-BD8C-27E41E6426C7-1696-0000021C9E0D94B4_zpscabdb31f.jpg
    Cool! Nicely done Brian! I can't wait to get out..Lee is working on my reels and once school ends..it's on!!
    Didn't catch anything but a relaxing time and some fun.
    james40:
    Didn't catch anything but a relaxing time and some fun.
    Nice James is that outside San Diego?
    Yes, that is lower Otay Lakes in Chula Vista, which is about 8 miles from my house. First place my pops ever took me fishing.
    james40:
    Yes, that is lower Otay Lakes in Chula Vista, which is about 8 miles from my house. First place my pops ever took me fishing.
    Hey James, the El Michoacano taco shop off Birch and Eastlake pkwy is pretty bomb diggity.
    danielzreyes:
    james40:
    Hey James, the El Michoacano taco shop off Birch and Eastlake pkwy is pretty bomb diggity.
    Thanks man. That's next to the Vons I frequent although I haven't been there. What did you get? Thanks for the help with bait last weekend. I think I finally perfected the Texas rig.
    Gonna be doing some hardcore mermaid hunting tomorrow. 12 hrs on a charter boat style.
    photo FCD89026-orig.jpg
    danielzreyes:
    Gonna be doing some hardcore mermaid hunting tomorrow. 12 hrs on a charter boat style.
    photo FCD89026-orig.jpg
    Pictures please I love me some Mermaid
    Anyone here own a GLoomis rod? Just want to know it they are worth the coin.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I love fishing too but not as much as you. There is a lake next to my sisters house that is overpopulated. No one fishes it and it's just filled with bass, brim, and tilapia. It unfortunate because the bass just keep getting smaller and smaller. On the plus side there are some nice size brim and shell cracker in it
    danielzreyes:
    my buddy has a glx and for me for the money I'd rather have a st croix legend! I do own the tfo rod g loomis designed and like it as a frog/punch bait rod. The tfo has a lifetime warranty as well and it's only $100. For a carbon fiber rod that's pretty good
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    my buddy has a glx and for me for the money I'd rather have a st croix legend! I do own the tfo rod g loomis designed and like it as a frog/punch bait rod. The tfo has a lifetime warranty as well and it's only $100. For a carbon fiber rod that's pretty good
    what are your thoughts on inner cast rods? They were really popular at the convention I went to.
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    what are your thoughts on inner cast rods? They were really popular at the convention I went to.
    that's a tough one! IMO it's what surrounds you. I have mostly fresh water so I like a med/hev rod with Fuji guides for salt I'll take the extra heavy rod. Personally I'd still go tfo since they make both salt and fresh water rods. I own a salt heavy action and use it for both salt and fresh
    Money can't buy taste
    Well tomorrow's high is 47!! So I'm gonna go hit the water for some bass. Just finished cleaning reel gears and bearings and just put some fresh flourocarbon on. I can't wait it's been a long winter and I'm itching to set the hook and reel in something. Wish me luck
    Money can't buy taste