Home Cigar 101

Candela Thread

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
So with the AB Filthy Hooligan being reviewed and highly talked about lately, the conversation took a obvious focus on candela wrappers and the characteristics of them. As I said in Robby's thread, the process of creating candela wrapper is incredibly hard on them and often times makes for a cigar that is very delicate and more prone to construction issues. It is also true in THEORY to make a candela out if any strain of tobacco but in practice only shade grown is really used. The taste you get is Mai ly from the strain and fermentation still so even though it looks young and green that doesn't affect taste hardly at all and therefor can vary just as dramatically as any other "normal" wrapper. The process of getting a candela wrapper is all in the curing stage and is extremely high heat. There is a terrific article from CA that details this well and can be found here:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Its-Not-Easy-Being-Green_8220/p/1

Hope this helps some of y'all that were curious about this and wanted more info and explains a few of the finer points as well! Enjiy brothers and sisters and as always long ashes my friends!
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome info. I have been curious about candelas, and have never really tried any. I have one from Tampa I will post notes on soon, mind if I do it here?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all Gray, thanks man! I tried a HTF Fuente last fall in the Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela... Phenomenal smoke at least for me. Never seen them since anywhere I look, but if you come across them trust me and pick em up.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    PM to ya, Irishman
    xmacro:
    PM to ya, Irishman
    Replied and most importantly congrats on 3400 posts next post!!!!!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yeesh, 3,400 posts and 3 years later and I'm still a stupid newbie when it comes to cigars. Some things never change
    xmacro:
    Yeesh, 3,400 posts and 3 years later and I'm still a stupid newbie when it comes to cigars. Some things never change
    We are all newbs in some way brother trust me ya never stop learning and anyone who says they know everything needs to be checked to make sure they aren't made up entirely of cow manure.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never tried a condela. I just can't get past that color. Yuch!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    xmacro:
    We are all newbs in some way brother trust me ya never stop learning and anyone who says they know everything needs to be checked to make sure they aren't made up entirely of cow manure.
    agreed. im a perpetual new guy.

Rhamlin:
    Never tried a condela. I just can't get past that color. Yuch!
    the LFD double Claro is good. so is the Camacho Canbdela. dont be shy. they wont hurt you.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Good reading ! THX !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if brands dye candelas like they do maduros? I'd hate to look like I'd just bl0wn Kermit the Frog, lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Anyone know if brands dye candelas like they do maduros? I'd hate to look like I'd just bl0wn Kermit the Frog, lol
    No these are not dyed at all which is why all candela wrappers are inconsistent in appearance. What makes them green is the chlorophyl that is locked permanently into the leaf during the curing process by nearly baking the cigar in a humid inferno in the curing barn that by the end dries to leaf so much its like 100 year old paper that would just disintegrate. They actually have to slowly dehumidify the leaves before they can take them down from the barm and mince them and then they are kept refrigerated and away from light and water all of which can change the appearance of the leaf. Hope that answers time question Ken :)
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    No these are not dyed at all which is why all candela wrappers are inconsistent in appearance. What makes them green is the chlorophyl that is locked permanently into the leaf during the curing process by nearly baking the cigar in a humid inferno in the curing barn that by the end dries to leaf so much its like 100 year old paper that would just disintegrate. They actually have to slowly dehumidify the leaves before they can take them down from the barm and mince them and then they are kept refrigerated and away from light and water all of which can change the appearance of the leaf. Hope that answers time question Ken :)
    Really interesting process! But still...I mean, maduro's aren't supposed to be dyed, it should be the process there as well...anyone ever have green fingers?

I'm really just curious, the end of the post was just a joke (I know you understand that, but just to clarify for others). I smoked one candella in a corona size, I can't remember if it was LG or LFD, and it was great, I've been meaning to expand my horizons.

Edit: I should add that part of the reason for this question was that I saw a box of the AB Filthy Hooligan and they looked remarkably green and consistent, which made me wonder about dye.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    Really interesting process! But still...I mean, maduro's aren't supposed to be dyed, it should be the process there as well...anyone ever have green fingers?

I'm really just curious, the end of the post was just a joke (I know you understand that, but just to clarify for others). I smoked one candella in a corona size, I can't remember if it was LG or LFD, and it was great, I've been meaning to expand my horizons.

Edit: I should add that part of the reason for this question was that I saw a box of the AB Filthy Hooligan and they looked remarkably green and consistent, which made me wonder about dye.
    Totally get it Ken and actually laughed my azz off at the Kermit comment :) As for the dying I can't say 110% but water or liquid would alter the appearance of the wrapper so I guess it's possible but would be even more difficult with candela based on the process and attributes. Great point and counterpoint though Ken, really missed our conversations brother!!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just talking with Shizza about candelas the other day.
    Thanks for the article, Irish --- interesting stuff. Never knew much about them...

Pretty sure I had the AF 858 candela a while back --- if my memory serves me correct it was by no means a bad stick, just wasn't my "cup of tea" at the time.
    Definitely need to give them another shot, will be on the lookout next time I'm at the B&M. Will have to grab a couple.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Thanks for the article, Irish --- interesting stuff. Never knew much about them...

Pretty sure I had the AF 858 candela a while back --- if my memory serves me correct it was by no means a bad stick, just wasn't my "cup of tea" at the time.
    Definitely need to give them another shot, will be on the lookout next time I'm at the B&M. Will have to grab a couple.
    Nothing to thank John :) Preciate the kind words and glad you enjoyed the article and info... I love candelas but when the time is right, certainly don't want them daily but they do rock when its right :)
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

Nothing to thank John :) Preciate the kind words and glad you enjoyed the article and info... I love candelas but when the time is right, certainly don't want them daily but they do rock when its right :)
    Johnny needs a couple of candelas? Done Sir....
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

JIMBO !!! Shut your pie hole. STOP!

We already talked about this ... you better not, because you've sent me way too much lately as is.
    NO MORE !

jgibv:
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

We already talked about this ... you better not, because you've sent me way too much lately as is.
    NO MORE !
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Get em Jim!!!
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

NO MORE !
    Brett, go relax and smoke a stogie.....
    Stop encouraging Jim

Wife's going to notice how full my humi's getting and I'll get in trouble. NO MORE JIM !!!

jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

NO MORE !
    Stop encouraging Jim

Wife's going to notice how full my humi's getting and I'll get in trouble. NO MORE JIM !!!
    Tell her..... I'm sorry......Bwahahahaha
    Bigshizza:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:

NO MORE !
    Stop encouraging Jim

Tell her..... I'm sorry......Bwahahahaha
    Damn it JIM!!!!

....actually, that's a pretty good idea. I'm gonna start blaming all my cigars on you....now that's smart.

PS ---- Sorry for going TJK3 on your thread, Irish

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, Brett! It really explained a lot of the mystique and technique used in producing a good candela. I recently smoked the Hooligan and it was extremely fragile and now I understand why. On the other hand, the Viaje Shamrock's and Illusione candelas I've had in the past seemed to have a much tougher(if you will..)wrapper. I would imagine there are several factors related to growing climate, soil conditions and chemical composition, harvesting and storage involved as well.
    O.k. I'm sending John the AB, AF and LFD Candelas so that we can compare and contrast with others..
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Thanks for the info, Brett! It really explained a lot of the mystique and technique used in producing a good candela. I recently smoked the Hooligan and it was extremely fragile and now I understand why. On the other hand, the Viaje Shamrock's and Illusione candelas I've had in the past seemed to have a much tougher(if you will..)wrapper. I would imagine there are several factors related to growing climate, soil conditions and chemical composition, harvesting and storage involved as well.
    what he said^^, i smoked a filthy hooligan last night, i knew they had a fragile wrapper, but mine was fine up until the last 2 inches, then the wrapper just started flakin off. i still nubbed it.
    only my second candela, but this was a tasty stick.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. It's been a looo...oong time since I smoked a candela, I looked seriously at the DD on them the other day, I remember them as being overly bitter, but my taste may have changed over a few decades. Anyway, I'd always wondered how they kept them so green as that, and, apparently like others had thought it was by somehow skipping part of the maturation process, or by dyeing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit a hooligan last night. Started out grassy as grass can grass. Mellowed out after a bit; but still refreshingly green. I prefer the Black Market with the blackwashed wrapper, rather than this candela wrapper. But nothing against the green wrap. I used to get a Factory Throwout with a green candela wrapper that I thought the filler went better with the green wrapper; but I would have to revisit that to be sure. Gonna drop by the local smaller B&M and see if they have anything green at all there. If not, the bigger one will -- but I rarely get that far.

The best thing, I think, about the candela, is the marvellous stink finger it leaves. I was sniffling my digits like a madman last night. Very tasty.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Can't stand Candela. It tastes like moldy grass. I've tried a few and couldn't even make it halfway. Just not my cup of tea.
    We all have different likes and dislikes, that's what makes the hobby amazing IMHO.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Irish, I know I kinda intiated this and I appreciate your follow through. I'm always looking to learn anythign I can about cigars and you stepped up and provided more.

My local shop pretty much always has the 8-5-8 candela in stock if you're ever looking ... the 8-5-8 line in general does very well for him.

Side note the 8-5-8 maduro was my first real cigar, hang on while I wipe away the tear ...
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well the Viaje Shamrock that you sent me Brett, was my first candela and I absolutely loved it. I am really rough on wrappers bc I chew them while I smoke. This thing held up great and the flavor was nothing like what I expected. I was expecting a lot of grass and straw flavors but I actually thought I got lavender and rosemary out of it. I am no expert on picking out flavors by any stretch, but this was something totally new to me. Thank you sooooo much for giving me that opportunity Bro!!!!