Home Ratings & Reviews

Herrera Esteli - short corona

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
The shop owner where I picked it up was raving about it. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

It wasn't a bad smoke don't get me wrong, it just doesn't come close to warranting the hype. I got some spice, wood and grassy flavors but that was it. The spice was particularly heavy through the nose in the first inch but died down nicely. After that the wood and grass was very bland. I wouldn't say it was flavorless but the ones that were there weren't well pronounced. It would be a fine cigar at the shop where you're talking and not paying extra attention to the cigar. As far as a cigar with all the hype and exclusivity involved it rates a "meh". If it was a couple dollars less and readily available it may rate a little higher but it would never make my buy it whenever I see it list. I still have a lonsdale left so it will get a revisit just because of that ...

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    seriously, nothing? I know I'm not much of a reviewer but crickets ...

Anyone else had one?
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    I had one at an event and was also very un-impressed. I am no reviewer but I think you nailed it. My overall impression was bland and a big disappointment from all the hype.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tried one yet and don't have any in my stash but it certainly is something that I'm interested in trying. Based on the flavors you talked about I'm thinking that they might just be a bit too young right now then and that's something I have heard form a few as well. I woul like to think these have some awesome potential but can't say at this time until I light one myself. Lonewolf and mAdurofan sorry you guys didn't have such a great experience with it and agree that there HAS been tons of hype and sadly it sounds like from these examples it isn't warranted. I'd be willing to say though that age might really change these though.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:

Anyone else had one?
    Lol!!

I think Rip just smoked one of these too, same reaction (just meh). This is a new DE stick, right? It sounds as if I can pass it right up!

Edit: I just re-read Rip's review, and he actually called it DE's best non-infused cigar, Lol!! He said it was relaxing, very mild for a Nic cigar, and complex although not cubanesque at all even though that is how DE describes it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    90+ Irishman:
    Haven't tried one yet and don't have any in my stash but it certainly is something that I'm interested in trying. Based on the flavors you talked about I'm thinking that they might just be a bit too young right now then and that's something I have heard form a few as well. I woul like to think these have some awesome potential but can't say at this time until I light one myself. Lonewolf and mAdurofan sorry you guys didn't have such a great experience with it and agree that there HAS been tons of hype and sadly it sounds like from these examples it isn't warranted. I'd be willing to say though that age might really change these though.
    Maybe I've missed something here, I keep hearing this around here. When did age start creating flavors? I'm not trying to jump on you Irish, I've just never in my life heard this or experienced it. Aging refines a cigar, it mellows it, if you have one dominant flavor that you can't taste anything else because of it, it could over time mellow that one flavor and allow the others to come through. However, never in my life have I heard that age turns a bland cigar into a flavorful one. Where did this come from? Can someone give me an example?

I don't know about you other guys but young is not what I got from this cigar. I know what a young cigar tastes like, this did not have any characteristics of a young cigar, quite the opposite actually. It's just lacking any kind of complexity, again I think if you liked the flavor profile it did have it would be a fine cigar but definetly not something that stands out.
    Gray4lines:
    Edit: I just re-read Rip's review, and he actually called it DE's best non-infused cigar, Lol!! He said it was relaxing, very mild for a Nic cigar, and complex although not cubanesque at all even though that is how DE describes it.
    What vitola? because I definetly agree its mild, it probably would have been more relaxing if I wasn't so miffed about the lack of complexity.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Gray4lines:
    What vitola? because I definetly agree its mild, it probably would have been more relaxing if I wasn't so miffed about the lack of complexity.
    He had a Toro especial 6 1/4 by 54. Maybe it just doesnt do in a smaller rg, what are the dimensions of the short corona?

Rip's take on it: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/642296.aspx
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • I am hearing these are having horrible quality issues with the wrappers cracking/peeling. Did that happen to you?
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    BeltFanDan:
    I am hearing these are having horrible quality issues with the wrappers cracking/peeling. Did that happen to you?

I haven't had one yet, keeping tabs here first. I almost bought a 10 pack to sample but after hearing this I'm waiting until I hear positive reviews.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    90+ Irishman:
    Maybe I've missed something here, I keep hearing this around here. When did age start creating flavors? I'm not trying to jump on you Irish, I've just never in my life heard this or experienced it. Aging refines a cigar, it mellows it, if you have one dominant flavor that you can't taste anything else because of it, it could over time mellow that one flavor and allow the others to come through. However, never in my life have I heard that age turns a bland cigar into a flavorful one. Where did this come from? Can someone give me an example?

I don't know about you other guys but young is not what I got from this cigar. I know what a young cigar tastes like, this did not have any characteristics of a young cigar, quite the opposite actually. It's just lacking any kind of complexity, again I think if you liked the flavor profile it did have it would be a fine cigar but definetly not something that stands out.
    Sorry I missed this earlier! I have experienced this first hand a few times. It is rare but I have had it happen to me. I'm not smart enough to accurately say why without a doubt but my suspicion on why it is that way. My suspicion is this, some cigars that are young even when properly cured and fermented aren't fully finished off-gassing the ammonia and are still slowly going through a bit more fermentation. For that reason when I have laid down younger (not necessarily farm fresh just younger) cigars that were nasty and had poorer profile and flavor turned into an amazing stick later on. I honestly don't EXPECT it to happen whenever I do that, but I always do anyways because I'd rather err on the side of safety and be surprised pleasantly when one or two of those blends do change and mature and develop a profile that was never there before. Sometimes its a matter of all of the strains and leaves used just not being at the same maturity when rolled and letting them sit and marry for a while completely changed what they are.

At this time I have no hard science to back this up which is why I said this is simply my suspicion and what my experience and gut has told me before, but I am actively searching for some legitimate info that I can post to possibly help clear this up if I can manage it. Thanks and really dig these type of conversations MaduroFan, not offended at all and don't feel like you are jumping on me, just merely having an exchange of ideas and I dig that brother, thanks :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Smoked one in the Lonsdale and really enjoyed it. Also smoked one of the Cuenca y Blanco in the Lonsdale which gets compared to the Herrera Esteli and thought it tasted different. I preferred the Herrera. I have heard and know someone that did have issues with the wrapper, possibly due to shipping. I bought a box and they were all fine.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Was just searching to see what opinions were about this stick...interesting to say the least. Willie gave me a few on the down-low to try @ CFest this year and I was very impressed. Perhaps those he was smoking out of his personal stash had a bit more age? I still have a few different sizes resting, and perhaps need to revisit it.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Well...I assume you got my diplomatic message-:)
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:

Anyone else had one?
    Lol!!

I think Rip just smoked one of these too, same reaction (just meh). This is a new DE stick, right? It sounds as if I can pass it right up!