Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga #9's

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what's the gener consensus on optimum time in the humi? I picked up a few the other day. I've only ever had one and it had been buried for about a year and it just seemed like there was something missing from it. I know Kuzi says the fresher the better on these. So what's your Alls opinions.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    So what's the gener consensus on optimum time in the humi? I picked up a few the other day. I've only ever had one and it had been buried for about a year and it just seemed like there was something missing from it. I know Kuzi says the fresher the better on these. So what's your Alls opinions.
    Hmmm, I picked one up at a B&M. I do not know how long they had it, but there were ab 6-7 left so maybe a couple months. I held onto it for another 4 mo. I'm guessing mine had under a year on it, and I loved it.

I think there is a sweetness there in the fresher ones that disappears with age.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I have had 2 in the past year. One with unknown aging, the second was 3+ months in my humi. Both were great. So based on this, they were really not aged but not ROTT either. Nice stick, but for the price I also liked the Undercrown just as well.
    jadelt:
    I have had 2 in the past year. One with unknown aging, the second was 3+ months in my humi. Both were great. So based on this, they were really not aged but not ROTT either. Nice stick, but for the price I also liked the Undercrown just as well.
    Undercrowns are the poor man's liga; that's why I have a bundle of them!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    jadelt:
    Undercrowns are the poor man's liga; that's why I have a bundle of them!
    Yeah those Undercrowns are great
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I picked up a pair to try when I was really new at the hobby... I smoked them within month of getting them and they were great. I also know that they were truly ROTT B&M they brought them into humi day before I purchased... I like to ask.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    optimum time?
    if you buy them from your B&M i would wait no longer than 6 months from the time your B&M got the shipment in to smoke them.

DE only releases these when they taste right. there is no set time for these to be in the aging room. when they are good to be smoked they ship them out. they are designed to be smoked right away not held on to. i have never had one over a year that i really loved. i have never had one under six months that i didnt love.
    kuzi16:
    optimum time?
    if you buy them from your B&M i would wait no longer than 6 months from the time your B&M got the shipment in to smoke them.

DE only releases these when they taste right. there is no set time for these to be in the aging room. when they are good to be smoked they ship them out. they are designed to be smoked right away not held on to. i have never had one over a year that i really loved. i have never had one under six months that i didnt love.
    We have talked ab factories aging (or not aging) cigars before they ship, specifically in the thread regarding boxing dates on cubans and why nc's don't date. So, DE holds onto the Ligas to age them prior to shipping them out? (That's rare for a company to do, isnt it?) I bet that is a major constraint on supply... but then again no one can say, "I got a nasty Liga 9" at least not because it was too young.
    kuzi16:
    optimum time?

Cool maybe I will just fire one up this weekend if we don't have any big rain storms. I didn't think about asking how long they had them but I figure it wasn't to long. A little FYI this shop in Cincy said they almost always have the hard to get DE's in stock I just missed some UF13's by a couple days.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    So, DE holds onto the Ligas to age them prior to shipping them out? (That's rare for a company to do, isnt it?)
    DE does hold ligas until they feel they are ready. while standing in the DE aging room JD himself told me that the only way they will ship out from that room is if random samplings all rolled at roughly the same time all taste right. when they taste right they will ship.

aging rooms are fairly common in non-Cuban cigar factories but most run on a time frame. every factory is different and every cigar is different. the Don Carlos by Fuente for example is held (if i am not mistaken) 8 months post roll before shipping. many factories have 6 months as a time frame.

DE does it by taste and Padron keeps in the cuban tradition and does not age post roll. they roll, pack and ship.
    kuzi16:
    DE does it by taste and Padron keeps in the cuban tradition and does not age post roll. they roll, pack and ship.
    Ahh, I understand.
    Well I just fired one up was going to wait till tomorrow but its just a freakin perfect night. And OMG this thing is awesome! I'm glad I went with a toro over the robusto or I'd have to smoke two. Don't know if I'd say it was the best I've ever had but I'd say its in my top 5. Definitely worth the hype and price.
    Man that was good 1.5 hours of pure enjoyment been a while since I've burned my fingers and lips on a smoke.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Lp No9 Toro is my favorite out of them all.
    Rhamlin:
    Man that was good 1.5 hours of pure enjoyment been a while since I've burned my fingers and lips on a smoke.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! That's how I feel about the one I smoked, just awesome.
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Rhamlin:

I'm glad you enjoyed the #9. It's a solid stick, and often reminds me of why I love Herfin'. P.S. Don't forget to put Vaseline on those burns. lol
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had a LP #9 corona doble with close to a year on it a few weeks ago. It was good started real smooth but not a flavor bomb like I remembered. It also burned abnormally fast. I usually take 2 hours to burn a robusto. This corona doble went in about two hours. That should have been a 3.5 hour smoke for me. It had a real harsh bitterness that came and went for the last 2 inches. My humidor is usually higher RH than most guys I shoot for 69 ish. So I don't think it was dry but either way ... Coulda been the age.
    madurofan:
    I had a LP #9 corona doble with close to a year on it a few weeks ago. It was good started real smooth but not a flavor bomb like I remembered. It also burned abnormally fast. I usually take 2 hours to burn a robusto. This corona doble went in about two hours. That should have been a 3.5 hour smoke for me. It had a real harsh bitterness that came and went for the last 2 inches. My humidor is usually higher RH than most guys I shoot for 69 ish. So I don't think it was dry but either way ... Coulda been the age.
    That's the size I had, and I remember it did last a loooong time and was never harsh (In fact, it was close to perfect). That is sad yours got a little harsh. I can see the flavors diminishing a little with age, but seems like that wouldn't bring out any harshness.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:
    That's the size I had, and I remember it did last a loooong time and was never harsh (In fact, it was close to perfect). That is sad yours got a little harsh. I can see the flavors diminishing a little with age, but seems like that wouldn't bring out any harshness.
    Yea I'm fairly certain it was because it burned so fast. dont know why though ....
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    OK, you've done it. Now, I'm going to have to try one.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    Rhamlin:
    OK, you've done it. Now, I'm going to have to try one.
    Do it!