Home Ratings & Reviews

Xikar HC Maduro

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am smoking one of these at the moment (Toro size), and looking around for reviews, but I did not find any word on them. So, I will post my thoughts.

I've had this cigar in my humidor for about 2 and a half months. It clipped easy, and had just a little resistance on the draw. Sweet barnyard tobacco smell. Upon lighting, it's very woody with pepper up front (more taste than spice). Excellent draw and smoke output. Burning on down, I feel like this cigar is lacking in flavor. I am only getting very slight bitter sweet flavors and not much else. I smoked one other and remember it tasting a lot more full. Med body, and slightly bland.

The aroma of the resting smoke is fantastic, and the retro although a little harsh, brings out a good pepper taste. Maybe today is just off for my taste, but I still find this cigar lacking (certainly not bad though).

Halfway through, hope it picks up a little...

I ordered some churchills, maybe the smaller ring will help in the flavor department. image
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Thanks for the review Grey. I've been eyeing those up for awhile with that ash can sampler.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    Thanks for the review Grey. I've been eyeing those up for awhile with that ash can sampler.
    That's where I got the 2 I had! Definitely worth buying. The Criollo was awesome, and I have not smoked any of the others... love the can.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I also had one a few days ago.... it was hanging around for several months so I had to burn it. I liked it. Nice, mellow, relaxing smoke.

EDIT: OOPS mine was a Habano
    jadelt:
    I also had one a few days ago.... it was hanging around for several months so I had to burn it. I liked it. Nice, mellow, relaxing smoke.

EDIT: OOPS mine was a Habano
    Haha, I have not tried the habano, but the criollo and connie are great! I have a habano colorado left to try. The criollo is my favorite, so far!

edit: oops, I have 2 habano's left to try (I mustve made up colorado). Do not have any habano 2's. At any rate, I am enjoying the HC series and think they may be box worthy sometime down the road.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good, I'm glad you posted this, I've been wondering about them for awhile. An interesting thing happened as I was reading this, I have wondered what the HC stood for, and suddenly "duh" there it was.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I remember my first one of these...probably had only a few weeks rest when I was given one by a friend to try. I liked it but new it had that taste of slight ammonia on it and asked my friend...how long did this cigar have any humidor time? He laughs and said...it's fairly new and he knew he was busted because I can usually tell a cigar with little relative time in a good humidor environment. But I put the others away he gave to me and thought I'd do another one with at least 90 more days on it. I was impressed with the change...there was a balance to it that it didn't have before and the finish was even better. It isn't an overpowering flavor bomb but it is a nice cigar to sit down and enjoy w/o having to overthink the process of having a cigar. I usually like at least 6 months of rest with cigars but this one is good to go with only 3 months. Letting it rest more than that will only lose it's flavor and taste more like a Macanoodle.
    I agree. These need just a little time to settle, then are good to go! Great summertime smoke with a dark cola and rum. I grab one of these when I can't decide what to smoke. Great deal for the price.