Home Cigar 101

Can I use Heartfelt's bead calculator to figure Kitty Litter requirements?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking about using kitty litter in my coolidor. Can I use Heartfelt Industry's calculator http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp to figure out my Kitty Litter requirements? Are they basically equal, or do I need more or less KL compared to Heartfelt beads? Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure... the more, the better, but also no need to take up too much valuable cooler space with way more KL than you need. I used about 2 -3 lbs. Just filled up 4 nylon socks and stuck one in each corner. The bead calculator may give you a rough idea.

The good thing ab KL is, it is cheap and you will have all you need in one bag (most likely). You buy 5 lbs in a bag and once you use some in your cooler, if it is not re-stabalizing as quickly as you like, add more.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Not sure... the more, the better, but also no need to take up too much valuable cooler space with way more KL than you need. I used about 2 -3 lbs. Just filled up 4 nylon socks and stuck one in each corner. The bead calculator may give you a rough idea.

The good thing ab KL is, it is cheap and you will have all you need in one bag (most likely). You buy 5 lbs in a bag and once you use some in your cooler, if it is not re-stabalizing as quickly as you like, add more.
    Thanks. How many quarts is your cooler?

Define re-stabilizing.

And do you use cigar boxes inside your cooler? Or cedar trays? No cedar?
    I have a coleman 120 qt.

When I say re-stabilizing, I am refering to how quickly the cooler returns to its target humidity. The more KL you have, the more stable the cooler will be (will hold your target rh for a long time with low maintenance) and the quicker it will return to the target rh after opening the lid.

If you dont have enough KL in there, it will need misted with water more often, will fluctuate more, and will take longer to return to its stable rh (re-stabilize) after opening. All this is of course solved by adding more KL, and the good thing ab KL is it is easy to start with half the bag and add more if necessary.

Yes, I do have 3 or 4 cigar boxes in there, more for organization than anything. That, and I love the smell. Plastic containers or dividers would work just as well. I dont feel like I need the water-absorbing properties of the wood in there, though. That's just an added bonus along with the lovely aroma. I would use trays if I could find them, and would love to add a spanish cedar shelf/crumb catcher or divider.
    Gray4lines:
    I have a coleman 120 qt.

When I say re-stabilizing, I am refering to how quickly the cooler returns to its target humidity. The more KL you have, the more stable the cooler will be (will hold your target rh for a long time with low maintenance) and the quicker it will return to the target rh after opening the lid.

If you dont have enough KL in there, it will need misted with water more often, will fluctuate more, and will take longer to return to its stable rh (re-stabilize) after opening. All this is of course solved by adding more KL, and the good thing ab KL is it is easy to start with half the bag and add more if necessary.

Yes, I do have 3 or 4 cigar boxes in there, more for organization than anything. That, and I love the smell. Plastic containers or dividers would work just as well. I dont feel like I need the water-absorbing properties of the wood in there, though. That's just an added bonus along with the lovely aroma. I would use trays if I could find them, and would love to add a spanish cedar shelf/crumb catcher or divider.
    Wow! That's a big 'un! What RH is the kitty litter expected to maintain? The heartfelt beads have different ratings. What RH are you getting and what brand of KL are you using?
    Good question! Mine is a little but high, only because I added a little bit too much water and the cooler seals so well I am shooting for 68% but so far it has stuck right at 69-70%. I have heard of people "training" KL to set at a specific rh, but Im not sure how this works. I use Mimi litter, but exquisicat is another commonly used brand. Any no scent, 100% silica kl will work.
    Gray4lines:
    Good question! Mine is a little but high, only because I added a little bit too much water and the cooler seals so well I am shooting for 68% but so far it has stuck right at 69-70%. I have heard of people "training" KL to set at a specific rh, but Im not sure how this works. I use Mimi litter, but exquisicat is another commonly used brand. Any no scent, 100% silica kl will work.
    Cool. I'm thinking of trying 65%. I'm studying Catfish's thread on seasoning humidors with Kitty Litter even though he mentions he's not really addressing coolidors. Trying to see how to get the RH I want. I'm wondering if there's a big difference between 70% and 68% as far as smokeability. I've been at 70 for a long while now and I'm ready to try something different. A few of my smokes have draw problems and problems staying lit and I'm told I'd be better off with a lower RH. Had a Padron 5000 maduro last night that just didn't want to burn.
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Cool. I'm thinking of trying 65%. I'm studying Catfish's thread on seasoning humidors with Kitty Litter even though he mentions he's not really addressing coolidors. Trying to see how to get the RH I want. I'm wondering if there's a big difference between 70% and 68% as far as smokeability. I've been at 70 for a long while now and I'm ready to try something different. A few of my smokes have draw problems and problems staying lit and I'm told I'd be better off with a lower RH. Had a Padron 5000 maduro last night that just didn't want to burn.
    I bet you will have better burns with a slightly lower rh. I think even a couple % can make a difference. I think the KL will pretty much hold at however much water you put in. I keep the cooler slightly high (for me) since it is for aging, and I wont typically grab a cigar out of it to smoke.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I'm thinking about using kitty litter in my coolidor. Can I use Heartfelt Industry's calculator http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp to figure out my Kitty Litter requirements? Are they basically equal, or do I need more or less KL compared to Heartfelt beads? Any advice would be welcome.
    this is how I started and what I suggest to people who ask how much, but like Gray mentioned, the more the merrier. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some to try. Let me know how much you need.
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    this is how I started and what I suggest to people who ask how much, but like Gray mentioned, the more the merrier. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some to try. Let me know how much you need.
    Thanks so much for the kind offer but I'll pick some up at walmart tomorrow :)
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    My experience is that I need three or four times the KL as beads..... dont get me wrong, I like KL but the real estate it takes up in my humi isnt worth it to me...... I will stick with beads. If I had a big cooler I would use KL.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I use to use HF Beads but converted over to KL 2 years ago and never looked back. I have 28 humidors of all sizes and what I've learned and what works well...when it comes to calculating "how much" just use 1 and 1/2 times more KL and you will be fine. The reality of using KL is you want as much surface area exposed of the KL for it to work efficiently....that means you use a container that is about 1/2 inch high and as long or wide as you can get depending on the area of your humidor. Spritz DW over the litter and let it sit for a few hours and see where you RH is....if it's not where you want it the more DW sprays ( I generally spritz 2-3 times for each % that I need for it to come down )
    Cigary:
    I use to use HF Beads but converted over to KL 2 years ago and never looked back. I have 28 humidors of all sizes and what I've learned and what works well...when it comes to calculating "how much" just use 1 and 1/2 times more KL and you will be fine. The reality of using KL is you want as much surface area exposed of the KL for it to work efficiently....that means you use a container that is about 1/2 inch high and as long or wide as you can get depending on the area of your humidor. Spritz DW over the litter and let it sit for a few hours and see where you RH is....if it's not where you want it the more DW sprays ( I generally spritz 2-3 times for each % that I need for it to come down )
    Good info. Thanks. Does it matter whether the KL is placed High or low in the coolidor or humidor?
    Cigary:
    Good info. Thanks. Does it matter whether the KL is placed High or low in the coolidor or humidor
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It really depends on the amount of product you have in whatever humidor you have or wineador. Let's say you have a 300 count humidor/tupperador....I use about 2 cups of KL in a shallow container and that takes care of that. If you have a windeador that has different levels and can hold ( 28 bottle ) then I'd put at least a cup and a half at the top and middle and bottom and that again...works because you have coverage. The nice thing about KL is that it's cheap and as I said a general rule of thumb tells us use 1 and 1/2 times the amount you'd use beads for. In a coolerador I have put 2 cups in the bottom and 2 at the top and it stays rock solid at 65% for me.
    Bump for Nathan. See? It wasn't that long ago that all I wanted to ask about was Kitty Litter and how to get started using it. Now I'm preachin' the virtues of KL every chance I get.