Home Ratings & Reviews

Flor De Las Antilles

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who's had one and what's your thoughts. I'm down to the last 2 inches of a toro and I just can't see how it was #1. It's got a superb aroma great look good burn lots of smoke but the flavor is blah. Had it in the humi for 2 months now. Glad I only bought 2. I'll let the other sleep for a while then try again but I can't really see how that will help.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is disappointing! I have not tried one, but I had kind of high hopes for em.

Maybe just an off smoke... the first My Father I had, I thought it was gross. Must've just been me, because I had one recently and it was fantastic.

I hope the next is much better for ya!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I bought em. I'm a big My Father fan. Pull one out on my dads Bday every year as a sort of remembrance to him.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Getting the same reaction all over the place.
    This was a departure of the spicy full/med bodied My Father Pepin line.
    I think they wanted to break into the mild bodied market. And with everything I have read, I would have to think they succeeded.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it would have had a little sweetness or a spice flavor of some sort. It was just lacking something. For me anyways. I'm just used to a bit more flavor from a subgrown.
    Rhamlin:
    If it would have had a little sweetness or a spice flavor of some sort. It was just lacking something. For me anyways. I'm just used to a bit more flavor from a subgrown.
    Yup, everything your saying has been said. Seems to be the consensus.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I need to revisit this one. I have two in my humi and have smoked one. I do not remember being wowed by it. It is certainly different from the other my fathers cigars I have had.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I will start by saying i am not a My Father fan, This stick was great for me, had the robusto and toro, to me robusto is alot better. But it did wow me, but my tastes and preferences are different then other people.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The regular My Fathers are my favorite cigar. Thus I had high expectations for the FDLA when I got a fiver for a great price right before the CA #1 ranking.

I must say that I am disappointed by it. I love the spicy full-flavor of MF (and most Pepin cigars in general), but the FDLA reminded me more of the MF La Bijou, which is a milder version. The FDLA didn't grab me at all. Then again, I'm not a big fan of mild cigars.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't a fan, had several, and I just cannot like them. However, taste is subjective, and it is the type of cigar i can see a lot of people liking.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I am shocked by all the "dislikes" out there for this stick. I loved it so if any of you wanna get rid of some, let me know. I'll take all I can get!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I love 'em too. Really appreciated the rich flavors coming through without the big pepper garcia blast.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Had one and loved it. I would probably put it in my top 25. I'd didnt miss the Pepin pepper and i'm a pepper kinda guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I enjoyed it but I did pair it with really good scotch too. It was a great smoking experience and I would buy these again.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I really love this one as well. To me it is a stick you have to pay some attention to. Great medium bodied profile with all kinds of nuances floating in and out of existence from draw to draw. Even though they don't pack a lot of power, I wonder if some of that nuance would meld together into something more round and seamless with a little age. Genuinely considering a box purchase on this one.
    ndhaon91:
    I really love this one as well. To me it is a stick you have to pay some attention to. Great medium bodied profile with all kinds of nuances floating in and out of existence from draw to draw. Even though they don't pack a lot of power, I wonder if some of that nuance would meld together into something more round and seamless with a little age. Genuinely considering a box purchase on this one.
    Yup, thinking this will be my next box purchase as well.
  • Mayd83Mayd83 Posts: 3
    Just smoked one of these on Friday after getting some yard work finished and really enjoyed it. Going to be a box purchase down the road for me.
    Medic45 sent me one in a trade. Will be my first.
    Seeing both sides of the story everywhere.
    Some great, some blah.
    Shall see in another week or so for me.
    curtpick:
    Medic45 sent me one in a trade. Will be my first.
    Seeing both sides of the story everywhere.
    Some great, some blah.
    Shall see in another week or so for me.
    Looking forward to getting your take
  • radiominorradiominor Posts: 2
    I quite enjoyed it the flavor.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    When they first came out I smoked through about a dozen of em over a couple of weeks. I love the robusto size. I think the sun grown wrapper in the almost oval shape and medium strength paired perfectly. I didn't like the toro as much though. That's what makes this hobby great, we all have different tastes and appreciate different cigars.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like pumpernickel, you will like this cigar. Creamy, earth, pumpernickel. I loved the aroma but Bearswatter hated it. Smoked it down to the very nub end. Tasty.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    OchoZacho:
    When they first came out I smoked through about a dozen of em over a couple of weeks. I love the robusto size. I think the sun grown wrapper in the almost oval shape and medium strength paired perfectly. I didn't like the toro as much though. That's what makes this hobby great, we all have different tastes and appreciate different cigars.
    Feel the same way the robusto is better then toro..
    JHewey:
    OchoZacho:
    Feel the same way the robusto is better then toro..
    +2
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I just got delivery of a box, smoked one and was wowed. I didn't want to throw it away. I'm getting another box or maybe 2.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'm half way in to the Robusto....meh. Flavor has not changed at all. I can think of $2 sticks I like more than this.
    Rain:
    I'm half way in to the Robusto....meh. Flavor has not changed at all. I can think of $2 sticks I like more than this.
    wow, well, try another before you give up, I love these things!
    Overall Not to shabby
    Smoked one I got From Medic45(Brian).
    Complexity is ok... Better at the final Nub than Anywhere.
    Great Aroma,Draw, And Burn, and construction was flawless.
    Great Smoke output
    Nice spice with a short finish
    Retrohale is wonderful !
    Had a character that many would like in my opinion, but some wont because of its complexity.
    Would I buy again ?
    Sure its valued at a price point thats good for this stick.
    A 96 and Best Of the Year ?
    No.
    But a solid smoke I certainly wouldnt pass up if offered to me.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Love this cigar, have a box of them in my humidor right now aging.

"Long ashes my friends."

• ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Krieg:
    My box should show up today. Found a great deal on them. I'm excited to let these sit for awhile, too.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    Krieg:
    My box should show up today. Found a great deal on them. I'm excited to let these sit for awhile, too.

Would ya mind sharing where you got this deal?? I'd appreciate it. Thanks....