Home Cigar 101

Question re: JFK cigar and matchbook

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping some of you can help me with a cigar and matchbook I've had for several years. I cannot find any information on these anywhere, so hopefully I'm in the right place.

Long story short, these were given to me by my grandmother in 1991 after my grandfather passed away (they were given to my grandfather by his close friend who was an executive in the Secret Service from the '50s to the '70s). I've attached links to pictures I took today- there is scotch tape residue right below the label around the wrapper on the cigar.

I was in the neighbor's house when I was younger, and he had mementos from former presidents in his home (several paintings by Eisenhower-- I had no idea Eisenhower painted, but whatever).

Basically, I"m wondering if there were a ton of these made and this is essentially worthless, or if this is something more than that. This is my first post in this forum, but this is not a troll post or anything of the sort. I'll be happy to answer any questions if there are any. Thanks for your time.

-Dave

http://s8.postimg.org/o3lyd2gl1/photo.jpg
http://postimg.org/image/fny32kald/
http://s1.postimg.org/xr374mti7/pic4.jpg
http://postimg.org/image/jwt5typy9/

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you will find what you are looking for here. You need an expert in JFK and or presidential collectibles to establish values and authenticity. That doesn't mean someone around here hasn't seen or heard of one, but assuming it has not been stored properly, a cigar collector might not be as interested then if it was. Think of the type of guy on Pawn Stars, the old dude with the beard and hat that works for the museum, and that is the type of guy who could establish value. For all we know its priceless, although I'd imagine the matches not so much. You need an antiques expert my friend, most of us are experts in smoking these not pricing presidential blends lol. Good luck bro, it's a cool piece for sure.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Someone brought in a box of the cigars on pawn stars and they paid like 60k for 'em. But you've only got one, no box but a matchbook, so really hard to say. Like catfish said, you need a memorabilia forum or something.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i cant give you "real" value at all. but i can give you hint at relative value.

these may very well be the "official" cigar of JFK after the embargo. but it is either post embargo or they are machine made. either way that lowers the value.
    JFK liked H. Uppmans and this is not that cigar. that and the cellophane (a non cuban trait in hand made cigars) leads me to believe that it is post embargo. if by some off chance it is not post embargo, the cellophane would give it away as a machine made because cuban cigars have no cello unless they are machine made. not that this would not have value if if was his cigar, its just that this isnt the iconic JFK cigar.

i would say it has more value than a pre embargo cuban cigar but less value than the iconic H. Uppman JFK owned pre embargo cigar.
    as for actual value, you will have to talk to people that collect cigars. I smoke them.
  • Dave2000Dave2000 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies thus far, guys, especially the specifics in kuzi16's post. This is already more info than I've been able to find on this piece, so I do appreciate the replies. I'm a member of other "hobby forums" (for lack of a better term) and I know that some out-of-the blue posts like this from newcomers might be frowned upon sometimes, so I appreciate your time on this.
    Questions are fine. If you tried to sell these on your first post, your welcome would have been very different! LoL

Welcome aboard
  • Dave2000Dave2000 Posts: 3
    Ken- Haha, yes I would think so. That's pretty much true in all forums of what you're not supposed to do in your first post.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Dave2000:
    Ken- Haha, yes I would think so. That's pretty much true in all forums of what you're not supposed to do in your first post.
    You're at post three now, so sell away! I kid, I kid. When I read this thread, I thought of Pawn Stars and Rick saying "You know, I have to line up a buyer, these are going to sit on my shelf for six months...I can to twenty bucks."
    Rain:
    Dave2000:
    You're at post three now, so sell away! I kid, I kid. When I read this thread, I thought of Pawn Stars and Rick saying "You know, I have to line up a buyer, these are going to sit on my shelf for six months...I can to twenty bucks."
    "I'm taking all the risk here and I've got to make money too. I just don't see the provenance, if it had JFK's lip prints on it, I mean that would be amazing ::wheezy laugh:: Heck Chum Lee'll probably use it to smoke God knows what before I ever get it on the shelf! ::wheezy laugh while camera cuts to Chum making dumb face:: So seriously, 20 bucks?"
    Ken Light:
    Rain:
    Dave2000:
    "I'm taking all the risk here and I've got to make money too. I just don't see the provenance, if it had JFK's lip prints on it, I mean that would be amazing ::wheezy laugh:: Heck Chum Lee'll probably use it to smoke God knows what before I ever get it on the shelf! ::wheezy laugh while camera cuts to Chum making dumb face:: So seriously, 20 bucks?"
    Bwahahaha. Old Man "Son, when I was in the Navy.."Ken, you don't play poker with us anymore?
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Wow, you guys nailed Pawn Stars!!!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    AVJim:
    Wow, you guys nailed Pawn Stars!!!
    In Afghanistan, we looped Pawn Stars and American Restoration for six months.
    The shows are good but didn't that get old?!?
    AVJim:
    The shows are good but didn't that get old?!?
    Better then Armed Forces Network.
    I'll trust you on that!!!!
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Rain:
    Dave2000:
    Bwahahaha. Old Man "Son, when I was in the Navy.."Ken, you don't play poker with us anymore?
    Semester just wrapped, I haven't been doing much of ANYTHING lately. I'll start back up, I still owe Tom some sticks for the last time I played.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they might be cigars that were just meant to be given out to people. Kinda like how they give out the pens these days.