Home Ratings & Reviews

God of Fire

JZJZ Posts: 827
Has anyone had 1 of these before. I want to see everyones overall opinion before I fork out this kind of cash for a stick. What are your thoughts on Fuente "creating" limited production on it (like Opus X) just to have a premium price point? I am not accusing them of that practice, it is just they seem to have the most "rare" cigars and it seems to come up a lot.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the opusx is fairly rare and so is the GoF.
    its rare not because they limit the production, but because the tobacco itself limits the production. it's just not available.
    i have not smoked a GoF, but i have one. it will get smoked one day.

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    I'm sure I will try 1. I'll be be in Vegas in February for work, and again in November 2010 for the Big Smoke so I'll probably pick 1 up at Casa Fuente. I know the price will be high but hell, your in Vegas!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I smoked a Don Carlos GoF the other night, it was a damn good smoke. I generally smoke heavy, full-bodied cigars, but even though the Don Carlos came in at a medium, the flavors were fantastic, the burn perfect, it just made for an incredibly enjoyable smoke. Typically, I have coffee or something with a cigar. My coffee staid untouched, just got cold next to me, since I enjoyed it so damn much. I have a carlito sitting now, that'll be for another special occasion. Did a review on Wrapperbindefiller.com, it's a solo review though.
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    I had a GoF awhile back. I want to say that it was an '06 Robusto by Carlos. It easily ranks as THE BEST smoke that I have had. It was worth the $30 I had to pay to get it. It was the last one in the box too, so I took that as well!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Kamelyon:
    I had a GoF awhile back. I want to say that it was an '06 Robusto by Carlos. It easily ranks as THE BEST smoke that I have had. It was worth the $30 I had to pay to get it. It was the last one in the box too, so I took that as well!
    $30?? Holy *** man, my opus X only cost $19!

"Long ashes my friends."

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I've had 6 of them. 3 by Carlito, and 3 by Don Carlos. 1 of each was bad, but that turned out to be humidity problems, not cigar issues, the othe 4 were just wonderful. Very complex, medium/full, not the thickest smoke, but so well-flavored who really cares.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've only smoked one GoF, a 2006 Don Carlos robusto. I've been a bit critical of the higher end Fuente cigars because I don't really feel that they deliver at their price point...now, that is according to my tastes and is my opinion, it is also my opinion that they are good cigars that are top notch quality wise. To put it concisely, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for one but I would never turn one down.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    j0z3r:
    I've only smoked one GoF, a 2006 Don Carlos robusto. I've been a bit critical of the higher end Fuente cigars because I don't really feel that they deliver at their price point...now, that is according to my tastes and is my opinion, it is also my opinion that they are good cigars that are top notch quality wise. To put it concisely, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for one but I would never turn one down.
    B&M here has them for around $20-23... $30 seems high..
    Krieg:
    Kamelyon:
    opus is cheaper than GoF. GoF will run about $30 no matter where you look....

casa fuente in vegas may have it for a bit more.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I gotta go against the grain here. I'm with Jozer, i bought 2 GOF's smoked one and traded the other one to him. I think i hyped it up too much in my head. It was good but not great(just one man and his opinion), and definatley not for $30. Opus is the same in my book. When i can find a good deal on them i'll pick up a few. Opus is a damn good smoke....but not the Holy Grail of tobacco that it's made out to be.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the GOF and I love the Opus. To me the Opus has great flavor, and is very unique. What makes it special to me is all the hype over it. No it's not the best stick in the world, but it is a rare treat to find them, and when you do they aren't priced so high you have to take out a loan to pick up a handfull. Anytime I find some I pick up a couple because they are a great smoke, and to me a fun smoke.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    PuroFreak:
    I really enjoyed the GOF and I love the Opus. To me the Opus has great flavor, and is very unique. What makes it special to me is all the hype over it. No it's not the best stick in the world, but it is a rare treat to find them, and when you do they aren't priced so high you have to take out a loan to pick up a handfull. Anytime I find some I pick up a couple because they are a great smoke, and to me a fun smoke.

I havent had a GOF, Opus or any Padron Anniversary editions.
    YET!!!

Im afraid that once I start them I wont be able to look back no matter the price point.
    See prior posts about my love of RP Decades!

What ye say, what should I try 1st? Padron Anny?? Opus X?? GOF?? Can I smoke one right out of the B&M (of course resting) Or should I let them age for years???
    Fourtotheflush:
    PuroFreak:

I havent had a GOF, Opus or any Padron Anniversary editions.
    YET!!!

Im afraid that once I start them I wont be able to look back no matter the price point.
    See prior posts about my love of RP Decades!

What ye say, what should I try 1st? Padron Anny?? Opus X?? GOF?? Can I smoke one right out of the B&M (of course resting) Or should I let them age for years???
    I had a Pardon 26 Maduro with over a year on it and it was AWESOME! That was the only one I've had though. The Opus and GOF's I've smoked weren't in the humi more than a couple months and were still great smokes. The Opus is a pretty strong smoke and I've heard is better with over a year on it, but I thought it was great with a couple months. The Anejo is another one that if you haven't tried it I would highly recommend!
    opus do better aged IMHO

i do like the opus in the perfexcion no 4 size. i really do think its the best vitola for that blend.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    never had a GOF
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I just gave a Don Carlos 2006 to a friend of mine. He says he liked it and would spilt a box with me. I also bought myself and the Colonel that just retired that I support the GoF lighter set with 2 Don Carlos, 3 Carlito and a GoF Lighter. As for me, the last Carlito I had was good. The last Don Carlos was Freakin AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a 2005. That's why I want to buy another box. I am thinking about buying one box each year. And if you buy by the box it is only around $19 each before the 10% cotm discount.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I think all true cigar aficionodos should try atleast 1 Opus and GOF. Atleast thats the stance I'm going to take to justify the purchases!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JZ:
    I think all true cigar aficionodos should try atleast 1 Opus and GOF. Atleast thats the stance I'm going to take to justify the purchases!!
    I agree! Although my status as an aficionado has been called into question recently so I'm not sure my opinion matters. :D
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    Krieg:
    Kamelyon:
    That's California for you. Everything is overpriced. That didn't even include tax, but I still say it was worth every penny.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Kamelyon:
    Krieg:
    Kamelyon:
    That's California for you. Everything is overpriced. That didn't even include tax, but I still say it was worth every penny.
    Well, as long as you enjoyed it, that's what counts! and I agree...Taxafornia does suck on Cigar prices.

"Long ashes my friends."

• SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    I have 4 GoF right now but haven't smoked one as of yet. Looking forward to it though.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    SgtRick:
    I have 4 GoF right now but haven't smoked one as of yet. Looking forward to it though.
    Which ones you got? Don Carlos, Carlito? Double Robusto, Torpedo, Churchill? Sorry, I'm just curious.
    I just bought a box of the double robusto's by carlito.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I have a GoF and an OpuX with more than six months on em...baby daughter is being born Monday and I'm gonna smoke one of them to celebrate, just not sure which yet.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Luko:
    I have a GoF and an OpuX with more than six months on em...baby daughter is being born Monday and I'm gonna smoke one of them to celebrate, just not sure which yet.

Will be thinkin about you guys Luko ...hope all goes well with mama and baby ...you got the easy part 'bro ...
    Thanks brother...much appreciated...this has been a long nine months!
    Congrats Luko, to the both of ya! Got a name picked out yet? I'm still waiting on my first born, gotta line up a momma first, though...
    Thanks Cabbie...still going back and forth on the name, we can't seem to agree and we're almost down to D-Day. She likes Clara (fits well with my first daughter, Chloe). Good luck on your momma search.
    Congrats Luko! Dang... with 2 girls you won't have any hair left by the time they hit the teenage years.
    PuroFreak:
    Congrats Luko! Dang... with 2 girls you won't have any hair left by the time they hit the teenage years.
    You're right, but I do need to revive that gun thread. I have a few shotguns and rifles for hunting, but I need to pick myself up a handgun or two, if nothing else so I can clean them while sitting on the couch when these punks come over.

In all seriousness, everyone please feel free to come to Pgh and drink some whiskey and we'll fire up some good sticks...I could use the infusion of testosterone. Even my two mutts are female, and they're just as high maintenance as my wife and daughter. God help me.