Home Pipes

Storing pipe tobacco?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
How do you keep it? I have some in a glass tobacco jar with a humi pack and some just in a ziplock bag. Advice? Your setups?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    You should just keep it in a mason jar. The canning lid can seal, if left alone for a while and that is a good thing. Ziplock bags will work OK for a few months, depending on your climate, but not for long term storage. Ziplock bags and even tupperware can work for short periods but there will be too much air exchange and the tobacco will dry out.

Pipe tobacco does not need the same humidity as cigars. I don't add humi packs to mine. I will add a spray or two of distilled water if it comes too dry but otherwise I just put it in a jar and forget it until I want it. If it is too dry (I have not yet had this problem) I would just add a spray or two of distilled water to bring it back.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    So I got some tobacco along with the pipes. It was left I the humi that came with the stand. It's about 30 years old. Can it be revived and smoked?
    I almost forgot to say that I keep my bulk tobacco in various sizes of mason type jars. I have everything from the 4 oz to the 32 oz size. The 4 oz jelly jars (wide mouth) will hold just a few bowls (7-10 for me, depending on the size of pipe I am using). 32 oz. will typically hold about 8 oz. of tobacco.

One more thing to consider about that humi pack, it can lead to mold growth. This is not something that I have seen but Bob Tate of Pipes Mag. commented on this and I have taken his advice for what it is worth.
    LiquidChaos66:
    So I got some tobacco along with the pipes. It was left I the humi that came with the stand. It's about 30 years old. Can it be revived and smoked?

It depends. If you pick it up and rub it between your fingers does it just go to dust? If so, then no all the oils are gone. If not, it could be great. Let us know about how it feels it would be worth trying to save, espeically if it was traditional tobacco.
    There is some tobacco dust at the bottom of the bag its in right now. but the stuff on top still holds up when rubbed between my fingers. Still feels like its a little sticky like the fresher stuff ive gotten recently. I may have to try reviving it! :)
    LiquidChaos66:
    There is some tobacco dust at the bottom of the bag its in right now. but the stuff on top still holds up when rubbed between my fingers. Still feels like its a little sticky like the fresher stuff ive gotten recently. I may have to try reviving it! :)

I would just try smoking it. Sticky could mean that it is/was an aromatic, which typically does not age well but that is not necessarily the case. If it feels like the stuff you are buying then it is in fine shape. I would not add any water to it. Remember the RH for pipe tobacco is 10-14% so if it feels right just smoke it!
    Ill try some this weekend and let you all know how it is!
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    I like to keep my pipe tobacco in sealed containers I buy at Wally World. Their the same as the humidor type sold but without the humidity thingy. they run around $8-9.
    If I get dry tobacco which I occasionally do (that is dry to me) I like to use the humi-care pillows without the outer sleeve. I'll throw 1, 2, or 3 in a container. Amazing how fast the distilled water is absorbed. I feel this is better than spraying with water because it does it more slowly allowing all the tobacco to absorb it. As soon as the tobacco feels right I remove them and let it sit a day or so and then feel it again. The bottom of the container is the last to see the added moisture so this allows the time for the moisture to even out. I then recheck and if still dry feelin add another pillow for a day or so. Once there if its in a well sealed container you don't need additional humidification.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was in college, the only tobacco I could afford was Prince Albert, which I smoked every day at 4pm, once a day. I bought in in the large red plastic humidor which I see is still available at some places. I'm still using those. I also like the mason jar, and if you can find those jars like Pilgrimtex has, those are really great.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    So I'm assuming something along the lines of a glass jar with a sealing lid would be a good option? Standard mason jars with that little rubber gasket thing? I might have a few of those at home :) I do like those ones Tex has! Ill have to hunt some down. Maybe check Fred Meyer or Target this weekend.
    LiquidChaos66:
    So I'm assuming something along the lines of a glass jar with a sealing lid would be a good option? Standard mason jars with that little rubber gasket thing? I might have a few of those at home :) I do like those ones Tex has! Ill have to hunt some down. Maybe check Fred Meyer or Target this weekend.

Again I bought them from Walmart. Good quality at a reasonable price when you see the same container on internet tobacco suppliers going for $29.95. and the only difference is the humidifying agent that you don't need. Once you have the moisture right you just keep it sealed.
    Working with standard mason jars. :) my wife picked some up while she was at Target. lol
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Those work. Keys: non-porous jar (glass), air tight seal. Assuming the tobacco is the proper humidity when it goes in, you shouldn't need the humidification packs or anything. Rehydrating tobacco (should it be necessary) is pretty easy to do and there are several ways to do it. PM me and I can send you links to a few shown on YouTube. Let us know how that tobacco turns out.
    The key is like mgk said a non porous container that is air tight but also that does not impart odor to the tobacco.
    I find the pillows are good outside their sleeve. The transfer is through moisture in the air and not direct. Simple, clean and only need time. The time it takes is also good because the content changes slowly. Once there, take them out and you're home free.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Can you store several types of tobacco in one container? As in, using a large tupperware container with 8 blends inside it in bags opened up? I'm just curious, as most of my tobacco is all in bags and one large container would suffice. I don't have enough of anything to warrant a jar, but I could put all the little baggies in one thing and leave them open with a humi pillow in there to get everything hydrated at first.
    Sealed freezer type bags. I keep bags received from my supplier that don't fit in my jars in one or more large tw containers. No problem but keep sealed otherwise the stronger aromas will infiltrate the others.