Home Pipes

Cleaning

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
How often do you clean? When do you clean, immediately after, next day, half hour later? I assume at some point you take it apart and clean both parts. I'm just curious of your cleaning rituals as one of mine got clogged last night and I did not realize it until this morning.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Everyone is different. I do take mine apart the day that I smoke. So if I am smoking one and have a second bowl I just run a cleaner down it to clean out anything and load it again. When I am done I wait until the pipe is cool. Briar takes a long time to heat up and it takes a long time to cool down. Most people say to wait at least 2 hrs before taking it apart.

I run a bristle cleaner down the stem, fold it and run it down the shank into the bowl. After that comes out clean I take it, around the inside of the bowl.

After several bowls I do a deep clean. I use Everclear and send it down the stem I like to use Q-tip with Everclear to go down the shank into the air hole right to the edge of the bowl. Once these come out clean I run a final cleaner down everything and let it rest for a day before smoking again.

Some like to use water instead of Everclear and it works fine for them. I don't, it does not clean to the point that when I draw on the empty stem I taste nothing at all. With Everclear, I get a little sweetness but no other taste. That too goes away after a dry cleaner and a day left to dry.
    Also, if you are concerned about drying out the shank with high proof stuff I use food grade mineral oil after I finish. I leave the stem and pipe apart and let this air dry for a while before putting it all back together. This is cheap and works fine.

I use it on the outside of my stems as well. It will prevent oxidation and makes them shine.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Is it ok to clean it the next day, or does it have to be done that time? Everclear as in alcohol?
    catfishbluezz:
    Is it ok to clean it the next day, or does it have to be done that time? Everclear as in alcohol?

The next day is fine. Yes, alcohol is the key and the higher the proof the better. You could use vodka as it is neutral too some like rum or brandy but this does leave a taste to me, but again the higher the proof the better.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    I guess it gets down to serious pipe smoker or hobby as to cleaning. I guess I abuse my pipes everyday. LOL
    Because of the number of pipes and the number of times I smoke a particular pipe in a day I wind up letting them go till they really need it. I store my pipes vertical which allows built up juices to flow into the bowel if there are any. If I pick up a pipe I first check the bowl to make sure there is no liquid in the bottom. I then give it a quick blow to clear any ash or deposit and look again to see if any liquid entered the bowl. If its dry I load up and smoke. If wet I take the pipe apart and use a paper towel rolled into a point and work it down into the shank to soak up any moisture and remove built up tar. Then I use it to wipe out the bowl. I then run a bristle pipe cleaner through the stem from mouthpiece to saddle. I may be backwards but why pull tar towards your mouth. Feeding it all the way thru the stem. It usually is clean enough to then take the part that went in last and clear the passageway between shank and bowl. If really dirty I use a second or third pipe cleaner.
    I save any further cleaning until the bowl has to be scrapped. For that I scrap the bowl and clean the shank thoroughly. I then take the stem under hot running water and run a bristle pipe cleaner back and forth while under the running water till I feel its good and clean. I then use a dry pipe cleaner and run through to dry the stem. I usually do them all at the same time because I smoke them all pretty much equally and I make a production line out of it. Treva usually helps me with this chore. I also clean when I find the taste has deteriorated to the point of unpleasantness. Usually that's just the quick clean method. That's it for my pipes.
    Nothing special for them.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually let the bowl cool down, run a cleaner in through the mouthpiece down to the bowl, then separate the stem without reversing the pipe cleaner. If it's a pipe designed for a filter, which I don't use, I fold the cleaner up and swab that out, or may use a Q-tip or rolled paper towel. if it's really funky. When I start to notice a bitter taste at the mouthpiece, I'll wash with hot water. Other than that, Pilgrimtex has pretty much described everything I do.

Oh, and I've really screwed up a couple pipes by not letting them cool, repeatedly. Don't be impatient, buy another pipe! :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Now wtf is this? A filter? I specifically ordered a cob without one, do I have to use one now to continue using?!!
    Amos Umwhat:
    I usually let the bowl cool down, run a cleaner in through the mouthpiece down to the bowl, then separate the stem without reversing the pipe cleaner. If it's a pipe designed for a filter, which I don't use, I fold the cleaner up and swab that out, or may use a Q-tip or rolled paper towel. if it's really funky. When I start to notice a bitter taste at the mouthpiece, I'll wash with hot water. Other than that, Pilgrimtex has pretty much described everything I do.

Oh, and I've really screwed up a couple pipes by not letting them cool, repeatedly. Don't be impatient, buy another pipe! :)
    im going to buy two more, a straight for the flavored stuff like cherry and vanilla specifically.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    no you don't need it. lol
    Yes, that is a filter. You can pick them up for like 10 or a buck so no big deal. You can smoke without them but often pipes that are made to take a filter will not smoke well without them. They will smoke wet because of the way they are made to take the filter.
    I almost forgot to mention that if you decide to clean with alcohol that I am assuming you are smoking briar. Never use Everclear in the bowl of a Meer. That would ruin it.