Home General Discussion

Electric lighters

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Are there any for cigars? Like with a heating coil and whatnot? If not why? Seems like a good idea. Even heat coverage and easier to toast having the coils. That's what I would assume. Cleaner than other fuels. Plus you can leave it "lit" to burn of residuals from prior sticks.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
    I assume you mean something similar to the coil in a car lighter ? If so my guess would be power restrictions heating that much surface area ?
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly! Think of the power a tazer battery holds though. You've got enough juice to zap a guy a couple times before it goes dead. How bad could a heating coil be on a battery? Maybe restrict it to a 60 ring size and lower lighter? Might not make a huge difference but could work to benefit the system somehow.
  • Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
    I think you'd wind up with something the size of a tazer :)
    Ah but what about those huge table top torch lighters? Those are unreasonably huge! So maybe the electric lighter isn't a regular use for every stick kind of lighter? Maybe it's a decorative/functional show piece?
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i seen something on ebay that was a heat emmiter for lighting cigars i'll have to look to find it again seemed a bit funky looking
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wondered this myself but never been able to locate a product specifically for cigars yet. They do make them for cigarettes that recharge by way of USB and even look like your average flash drive but the surface area doesn't seem near large enough to toast a cigar. It probably would require a large enough heated surface area and more power to heat for a longer period of time. But it sounds like the perfect way to toast 'em.
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    i seen something on ebay that was a heat emmiter for lighting cigars i'll have to look to find it again seemed a bit funky looking

yeah see if you can find it again! I would love to see it!
    Bob Luken:
    I've wondered this myself but never been able to locate a product specifically for cigars yet. They do make them for cigarettes that recharge by way of USB and even look like your average flash drive but the surface area doesn't seem near large enough to toast a cigar. It probably would require a large enough heated surface area and more power to heat for a longer period of time. But it sounds like the perfect way to toast 'em.

yeah I saw the one for cogarettes too. Kinda what sparked my curiosity.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I would think that lighting it like that would really scorch the leaves even more than a torch. Lighting can affect flavor and this could make it harsh IMO.
    J.S.:
    I would think that lighting it like that would really scorch the leaves even more than a torch. Lighting can affect flavor and this could make it harsh IMO.
    If the temp is less than a torch, (I'm pretty sure it would be less) then why would it scorch it more than a torch?
    I would assume that people would put the cigar directly agains he burner and scorch it like that. As opposed to holding it away from the coils to let it toast and form a cherry.
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    If the temp is less than a torch, (I'm pretty sure it would be less) then why would it scorch it more than a torch?
    I don't know. I just thought that the coils actually touching the leaf might do it. Like when you let a torch stay too long on it. You are right, the torch would be hotter but I am not sure that temp is all of the issue. Maybe I am just crazy?
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    I don't know. I just thought that the coils actually touching the leaf might do it. Like when you let a torch stay too long on it. You are right, the torch would be hotter but I am not sure that temp is all of the issue. Maybe I am just crazy?
    LOL We just have different ideas as to how this thing would be put to use. I didn't imagine actually touching the hot coils with the foot of the cigar. I would hold the foot of the cigar close to it, (maybe very close, but not touch it) and just let the heat slowly toast the foot. That's how I see it anyway. Or am I the crazy one?
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    LOL We just have different ideas as to how this thing would be put to use. I didn't imagine actually touching the hot coils with the foot of the cigar. I would hold the foot of the cigar close to it, (maybe very close, but not touch it) and just let the heat slowly toast the foot. That's how I see it anyway. Or am I the crazy one?
    I see! I had not considered doing it that way because from what I remember about the coil car lighter, the coils actually cooled rather quickly I would not think it would keep the heat long enough to do that unless there was a way to keep the heat source to it. That is possible I am sure but I would think it would take a lot more power than one might think. I would bet you would be going through batteries rather quickly!
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    I see! I had not considered doing it that way because from what I remember about the coil car lighter, the coils actually cooled rather quickly I would not think it would keep the heat long enough to do that unless there was a way to keep the heat source to it. That is possible I am sure but I would think it would take a lot more power than one might think. I would bet you would be going through batteries rather quickly!
    Yep, you'd have to keep it hotter longer to do what we're talking about. Power-wise, I'm not sure what it would take. I still want to try it. Maybe I'll take a small ring gauge stogie out to the truck tonight. LOL
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    Bob Luken:
    J.S.:
    Yep, you'd have to keep it hotter longer to do what we're talking about. Power-wise, I'm not sure what it would take. I still want to try it. Maybe I'll take a small ring gauge stogie out to the truck tonight. LOL

I dont think it will stay hot long enough to start the cigar properly. Like said earlier i think it would cool quickly since there isnt a constant power source. but try! lol I wanna know if it works or how much longer it would take to light it.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    after researching again what i had seen was a touchable heat induction lighter, if you go online and search cohiba touchable lighter it will come up, i rear the descriptiion several times and i just dont get it, but might be the description wording
    From looking at it and reading the description I think it's just a torch lighter. It activates from the touch sensitive circle on the front and starts the torch when touching the pad up front. Looking at all the pics I didn't see any other buttons on it. Looks deceiving especially when thinking about a coil/electric lighter though.
  • ABrautABraut Posts: 4
    I just ordered one of these:

http://cigarlighter.com/styles.html
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    ABraut:
    I just ordered one of these: http://cigarlighter.com/styles.html
    I was expecting a spam post but wow this is exactly what you guys were talking about... look at that a first post for a real item on topic...
    I was looking for one, but all I could find were for cigarettes. I read this hoping there was a lead, but no. I found some vintage ones on eBay. I put a bid on one. I was researching the wire I'd need to make one, when I tried one more time. I found those, and ordered one. I figured I should share the knowledge.

I'll try to remember to give a review when I get it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ABraut:
    That's kind of impressive. $39 for a nickle plated lighter seems awfully good.
    It doesn't say what powers it though. Whether it is 110V, DC battery or what.
    The nickle plated microphone really has me curious.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this a while back. Too expensive for me, but kind of cool. http://agnite-cigar.com
    That's the one I ordered. I just got an email saying they were out, would the bronze be OK? I said yes. I'm not sure it's really nickel plated, just a similar color. I assume they're 110V, like the original vintage models.
    Well, I've had it for a while now and for the most part, it's exactly what you'd expect. The instructions say to hold it directly against the cover but I've found that burns it too fast. As was said earlier in the thread, it works best almost touching, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The shape of the coil is the biggest disappointment. There is a considerable gap in it, that makes it more difficult to light the cigar evenly. It's still better than lighters or matches for coverage, but this could be so much better than it is. The vintage electric lighters I saw had a sort of S shaped element that only left two small gaps.

image image image
    Click for full size

The cord and plug are made to look like the old-fashioned appliance cords and plugs. You can't see in the lousy phone pics, but the cord is covered by a coarsely woven cloth, just like Grandma's iron.
    ABraut:

Well crap in a hand basket... That's pretty neat!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking about. Pretty neat for a display piece too
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gasoline lighter. Gasoline. 

blblair said:
    I really like electric lighters, especially Tesla Coil. This rechargeable electric lighter is more environmentally friendly than a regular gasoline lighter, and it is important that it is windproof, which makes me very satisfied. The area I am in is often windy, I wonder if I should be an electric lighter. Hahaha.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. He’s obviously just another one-shot wonder trying to sell something. Odds are we won’t hear much more from him. 🤐
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've lit a corona off my car lighter and it lit quickly and evenly.  I'd love just having a plug in table top version that would do up to 60 ring.  Cooler than a flame, should be no scorching issues.  None that I witnessed.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electric Stove Top?