Home Cigar 101

How Do You Cut Your Cigar

So far I only use the double guillotine, but I was curious to how the rest of you might use other types of cutters on different types of cigars

Comments

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Punch cutter mostly. For torpedoes and such I have a nice guillotine cutter
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are different ways to cut your cigar and it's what you like that becomes your favorite way. Try as many as you can to see the differences....V CUT---Punch Cut--Dickman Cut--Double V Cut--Scissor Cut
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 times out of 10 I use my double guillotine -- Xikar XI series or cheap-o plastic for golf course/travel.....

Every now and then I'll use the punch on the end of my lighter if I forgot a cutter.

But if I'm smoking a chisel tip .... I prefer to use a punch, but I rarely smoke them.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• For me it depends on the gague of the cigar. 50 and below guillotine anything above I use a punch.
  • Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    Double guillotine always.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    with mah teeth yo
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    There are different ways to cut your cigar and it's what you like that becomes your favorite way. Try as many as you can to see the differences....V CUT---Punch Cut--Dickman Cut--Double V Cut--Scissor Cut
    I've never tried the Dickman, but I think it would ruing rotating the cigar to even out draw. And it's probably best suited to torpedo shapes, which I don't smoke often.

V and double V seem great in theory, but they never work out for me.

Punch works okay, but has some problems like getting clogged, etc.

I like my guillotine just fine most of the time.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually xikar double guillotine , but more recently have been using a punch more. Sometimes will cut a torpedo at an angle to get more of a draw.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • I also prefer double guillotine and for me it depends on cigars also, as I usually smoke 3 different ones, I cut each one differently, sometimes according to mood. Does someone cut only one way also, like a habit or something?
  • What is the Dickman cut? Possibly a picture?
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    I use the Cuban crafters perfect cutter for all sizes but I think I'm going to invest in a good v-cutter and I've actually never tried to punch a stick yet
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    scooter mcgee:
    What is the Dickman cut? Possibly a picture?
    It's basically a straight cut but made at a 45 degree angle. The intention is to direct the smoke toward the palate or some such. I see it kind of like the attempt to punch through a chisel tip, which works okay, but is not much of a difference to me from a squeeze or a straight cut on those cigars.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    A simple cut with my Xikar every time, unless it is an LFD chisel which doesn't need a cut. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I really like LFD's, especially the chisels. So convenient and tasty, but I digress :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Martel:
    scooter mcgee:
    It's basically a straight cut but made at a 45 degree angle. The intention is to direct the smoke toward the palate or some such. I see it kind of like the attempt to punch through a chisel tip, which works okay, but is not much of a difference to me from a squeeze or a straight cut on those cigars.
    Whewww !!! I was afraid it had something to do with circumcision or something painful
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started smoking cigars I used a very special knife and made a Churchill V. Progressed to a bullet punch which I kept on my key-chain. I just bought a Cuban Crafters 3 blade scissor type which I will use at home when the bullet punch does not supply enough draw. I have not smoked a torpedo so that does not enter into the mix (yet).
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Well, I only have 2 options right now.

My punch or my double guillotine. I generally use the punch. I use the cutter, off and on. You know, just the tip, just to see how it feels.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    This morning, with my teeth. Who saved money? Jiunn
  • 11rocket1111rocket11 Posts: 138
    I use my Xikar Xi cutter, if I forget that I use a punch. Just out of curiosity, has anybody used a Shuriken? If so what do you think?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar 009 punch is my go to whenever I have the choice otherwise I use my Xikar guillotine cutter ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I use my Xikar scissors almost all the time. When I don't have it I usually use my fingernail. My other cutters are basically just clutter at this point, or for camping trips.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    11rocket11:
    I use my Xikar Xi cutter, if I forget that I use a punch. Just out of curiosity, has anybody used a Shuriken? If so what do you think?

im curious as well about that 6 blade shuriken too.... Looks neat as hell

Aj
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    11rocket11:

Aj
    Tried it. For me it either turned the cap into spilled cat guts (read totaled cap) or it didn't cut deep enough and had a terrible draw. The theory and idea is awesome but it never once worked halfway decent for me. Just my two cents though.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I use my fingernail.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    95% of the time I use my V cutter, the other is a strait cut on a torp.......
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually a straight cut with a Xikar Xi2. Sometimes a punch. One day I'll try a v-cut.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually use a punch cut. If for some reason I get a tough draw, I will go to the cutter
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    xikar straight cut 99% of the time.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    V-cut up to about Toro size, punch on the Big ole Gordo/60 gauge gars, guillotine on torpedoes.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scooter mcgee:
    It's kosher. Can't post a picture here. Wrong forum.

I tried a cutter, tried a punch, both work well. Actually preferred the punch. But I have carried a sharp knife in my pocket ever since I was a Cub Scout. Don't you? A knife works... just keep it sharp. Spin the stick against the blade. Slice round just shy of the edge of the cap. Cap center pops off. Works every time. Perfecto? Slice deeper, no prob. At this point, I still have a couple punches hanging round, but I couldn't tell you where they are. Believe I gave away both my cutters,

Minimalism

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    11rocket11:

Aj
    Tried it. For me it either turned the cap into spilled cat guts (read totaled cap) or it didn't cut deep enough and had a terrible draw. The theory and idea is awesome but it never once worked halfway decent for me. Just my two cents though.

figures it would be a gimmick... looks damn cool though!

Aj