Home Non Cigar Related

What is it with dogs and toilets?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
We can put out a nice clean fresh bowl of water for our dog and if you leave the bathroom door open with the toilet lid up, he will head for it every time.
We have to keep the lid down to keep him out of it.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Water stays colder in the toilet. Our dog is the same way.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dogs have a smaller vocabulary that doesn't include "Yuck" or "Disgusting".
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They enjoy flavored H2O
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The answer is simple from a dogs mind. Toilet water is colder, often times fresher, and may taste better because of the container. Also, animals don't really rationalize the source of their water.. Are your regular dog bowls plastic, ceramic, or steel. They may leave a taste preferred less. Yeah, I know less than toilet. Try washing the drinking bowl and changing the water a few times a day the water may be stale. (not you zero, but anyone who has this problem)... And always put the lid down on the toilet.. I sound like my wife now. If the toilet has been cleaned recently the chemicals can still be in the bowel, and if your dog is in the habit of drinking from a toilet, that could have a bad result.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it might be bred into them...everyone plans a long outing and they leave the terlit seat up in case they run out of water...... :) Been going on for decades and I think its in their blood :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Mine likes the birdbath outside and the toilet inside. She also likes eating used tissues since November. Then she gags for two days and we have to help it out, if you know what I mean.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    We broke our dog of this by dumping in a few cups of white vinegar into the toilet. Won't hurt the dog or toilet but he hated the taste, problem solved. If worse comes to worse you could use a bottle or two of Tapatio:)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have this problem since I got stuck with my ex's dog...it's a chihuahua lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    The answer is simple from a dogs mind. Toilet water is colder, often times fresher, and may taste better because of the container. Also, animals don't really rationalize the source of their water.. Are your regular dog bowls plastic, ceramic, or steel. They may leave a taste preferred less. Yeah, I know less than toilet. Try washing the drinking bowl and changing the water a few times a day the water may be stale. (not you zero, but anyone who has this problem)... And always put the lid down on the toilet.. I sound like my wife now. If the toilet has been cleaned recently the chemicals can still be in the bowel, and if your dog is in the habit of drinking from a toilet, that could have a bad result.
    He has a stainless steel bowl and then the plastic bucket.
    Never thought about the container. But a ceramic bowl might make sense.
    Gonna have to look into that.
    This dog is so spoiled. The wife made me drive into town the other day to get him this large tennis ball that Petco has that he loves. I don't know why she buys them, he just shreds them.
    We have these giant (about a foot long) bones for him, rawhide, treats and tons of toys.
    He gets more stuff than I do. And if you tell him to put his toys away, he will pick them up and put them in his corner. Damndest thing I ever saw.

He wasn't supposed to be our dog. He is supposedly our son's dog, but you all know how that works.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giant tennis ball, $6.99. Destroyed in 4 hours.
    Giant rawhide bone, $7.99. Destroyed in 4 hours.
    Numerous dog toys, A ton of money. Destroyed too quick.

5 cent plastic pop bottle, day 5 and still holding up strong.
    I wish we'd have started with the plastic bottle first.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have ceramic bowels for my dog and give fresh water at least twice a day. Not sure if ceramic is better than metal but plastic will leave a funky taste over time. If I can taste it probably the pooch can too. Also one way a friend of mine broke the dog of doing this cuz nothing else did, was follow the simple guide lines of, if it's yellow let it mellow, brown flush it down. Then again if your dog likes yellow I don't know what else to say.