Home Cigar 101

HCM Beads

Anybody ever heard of these beads or used them?  According to the website they control the humidity at 65%. This is the website http://www.shilalasbeads.com/usinghcmbeads.aspx

I'm new to this and enjoying my cigars enough that I dont want to waste money by not taking care of them properly.  Between Boveda, Xikar Humidifier Solution and Humi-Care crystals I'm lost.  Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I dont get it.  How does this answer my question.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    I dont get it.  How does this answer my question.
    You will have to understand that we get a LOT of people around here, that are only here to peddle their wares. This generally does not sit well with the lot here.

I have personally never heard of the beads, myself.
    roaddevilray:
    Sorry, Just a knee-jerk reaction. First time poster needing help deciding on humidification products, appears to be new to the hobby, yet provides a specific link to a humidification product?

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of that product. However, there are at least a few previous discussion threads on it.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/288797.aspx

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/616620.aspx
  • Yeah I get it.  I guess I should of done some kind of intro or something.  I have been reading different post on humidifiers, even on another site and someone else mentioned these beads. And I've read about the gel and other beads but not these, so I thought I would ask.  Wasnt trying to advertise but wasnt sure if I had just asked about HCM beads if people would know about it.

Thanks for the additional links I'll read into them.

Ray
    I've read more about it since you posted your question but I just haven't heard anything. Looks like it might be good. All I've used is gels, bovedas and silica kitty litter. And if I was making recommendations for a new guy I'd say go with boveda while you read up on kitty litter.
  • Well I went out and bought some xikar crystals.  We'll see how they work.  A friend gave me a humidor so I am in the process of seasoning it and I bought a couple of hygrometers that I am calibrating. 

I've been smoking some cigars for a couple of months now.  At least one a day.  I used to smoke a pack and a half a day.  Gave it up almost 2 years ago but missed it.  Anytime I tried to have a cig it would make me sick.  So I started smoking cigars.  I usually dive in head first on things and this forum has been giving me a lot of info.

Thanks
    The Xikar "Crystals" are a good product as far as gel products go. I have a Xikar puck and a stick that have both given great service for a long time now. I bought some of the Xikar solution and used only that solution with them and they are great at helping keep 70% RH.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with xikar. Really, any if those products will be just fine. It depends on what you prefer ( like what rh you prefer, how much do you wanna spend...) I like heartfelt beads, but recently have used kitty litter (yes, you read right) because it's a fraction of the cost for what seems to me to be the same performance. I wouldnt hesitate to use xikars gel crystals either.

be sure and take your time seasoning and doing itright, youll have a rock solid rh later and will have no worries.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    roaddevilray:
    Sorry, Just a knee-jerk reaction. First time poster needing help deciding on humidification products, appears to be new to the hobby, yet provides a specific link to a humidification product?

I've never heard of that product. However, there are at least a few previous discussion threads on it.

new to forums doesn't mean you have to be new to the hobby by any means. Dude post a legit question in the right section as well and y'all wanna jump on him like a starving man on a Christmas ham! Smh..y'all crack me up at times I tell ya..just sayin'
    smoke em if you got em:
    Bob Luken:
    roaddevilray:

new to forums doesn't mean you have to be new to the hobby by any means. Dude post a legit question in the right section as well and y'all wanna jump on him like a starving man on a Christmas ham! Smh..y'all crack me up at times I tell ya..just sayin'
    Thank you Royln for bringing this up again because I need to make a broader apology to the whole forum. I'm sorry I jumped him right off the bat. I feel bad about it. I really wish I hadn't. Believe it or not I also hate to see new guys get jumped on. I actually feel like new guys should be treated with a lot of patience and kindness but I didn't do that. I just assumed the worst of him. It won't happen again.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Bob Luken:
    roaddevilray:

Thank you Royln for bringing this up again because I need to make a broader apology to the whole forum. I'm sorry I jumped him right off the bat. I feel bad about it. I really wish I hadn't. Believe it or not I also hate to see new guys get jumped on. I actually feel like new guys should be treated with a lot of patience and kindness but I didn't do that. I just assumed the worst of him. It won't happen again.
    its all good Bob. I'm Sure we are all guilty of assumptions from time to time. Don't think his feelings were hurt or anything
    Bob, at first glance I had the same thought. Ray, hope you stick around and enjoy the hobby too. Let us know how your xi gel works. Also, you should tell us what kind of cigars you like.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    seemed like a plain question to me,
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For all that jumped... Most say have you tried this? It's amazing and I'll never try anything else again! Yeah that's a sell...but people that have no idea well don't jump at them because you were once there yourself!! Just take a newb as it is and go with it. The forums have become nasty recently and mostly from newer members. Just think this is not any of our forums and yes all the questions have been answered at some point. I think we all need to chill and relax! Reflect back on why the forums here are so great. Think about if we all jumped down your throat at the first post...would you still be here?!?!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    For all that jumped... Most say have you tried this? It's amazing and I'll never try anything else again! Yeah that's a sell...but people that have no idea well don't jump at them because you were once there yourself!! Just take a newb as it is and go with it. The forums have become nasty recently and mostly from newer members. Just think this is not any of our forums and yes all the questions have been answered at some point. I think we all need to chill and relax! Reflect back on why the forums here are so great. Think about if we all jumped down your throat at the first post...would you still be here?!?!
    Well Lee, since I'm the only one that jumped I'm taking your words very personally but I agree with you. I feel bad about what I did. It won't happen again. And in case you didn't read it on the first page of this thread I'll re-post my apology to the entire forum.

• Thanks guys.  Really feeling welcomed.  BTW I have been on alot of different forums everything from a diddle eyed joe to a damned if i know and when a newbe ask a question sometimes he gets jumped on.  I'm thick headed and thicked skinned I can deal with it.

I got another question. What is with the cat litter?  Do you use it with somekind of humidifier and it absorbs the excess humidity?  How does it properly regulate the RH?
    Ok guys were good here. Your good Bob. It happens, more of us have done it than we'd like to admit.
    roaddevilray:
    Thanks guys.  Really feeling welcomed.  BTW I have been on alot of different forums everything from a diddle eyed joe to a damned if i know and when a newbe ask a question sometimes he gets jumped on.  I'm thick headed and thicked skinned I can deal with it.

I got another question. What is with the cat litter?  Do you use it with somekind of humidifier and it absorbs the excess humidity?  How does it properly regulate the RH?
    It's only a few types of KL. It has to be Silica Sand litter. It will absorb/release humidity exactly like you want a humidor to run. I have KL in my cooler right now, and it works great. It's very easy prep work, and stays good for a long time with little to no maintenance. Your buddy Bob Luken is the KL king around here.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    Thanks guys.  Really feeling welcomed.  BTW I have been on alot of different forums everything from a diddle eyed joe to a damned if i know and when a newbe ask a question sometimes he gets jumped on.  I'm thick headed and thicked skinned I can deal with it.

look about 15 post's down and you will find catfishes seasoning regarding cat litter,and seasoning
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    roaddevilray:

look about 15 post's down and you will find catfishes seasoning regarding cat litter,and seasoning
    Here ya go...I'll make it easy. Link
    New Boots:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    roaddevilray:

Here ya go...I'll make it easy. Link
    The thread should explain it. In short, some cat litters are the exact same material as what humidifying beads are made from. So, it performs the same function.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Thank you Lee for you words and the respect and tolerance you have shown too those of us who may started off on the wrong foot. Welcome to the forum Ramon this is a great place to hang out!
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    Humidifier solutions are 50/50 Propylene Glycol and distilled water (depending on the RH you want) and you can order a gallon of pure PG for around $17 and a gallon of distilled water for $1, as compared to 8 oz of whatever kind of Stogie Juice is being marketed. The Humi Crystals and variants are super absorbent polymers and you can buy enough to last you a few years for $3-4 at a lot of craft shops and probably find them on line. Don't buy the already hydrated ones as there is no way to tell if they were hydrated with distilled water. You just place 1/4 teaspoon of the beads in about 1 1/2 cups of water and 8 hours later you have enough beads to fill 4 rectangular humidifiers if you remove the floral foam. The floral foam can be purchased at the same craft stores be sure to buy the wet version. Be it a $30 humidor package or a Daniel Marshall they all come with the same foam. I've never used Kitty litter, or HCM beads, however, as previously posted it is an another example of repackaging a product for a much higher mark up.