Crossword Clue Game

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    _#1, one letter
    yay, 4 letters,
    is - this is the answer fond of, 4 letters
    same as clue 1
    gun, 5 letters
    ; (not a clue, just denoting punctuation mark)
    own, adjective 3 letters
    benefit, synonym 10 letters
    rely, plural 7 letters
    atop, 4 letters
    el, 3 letters
    movie role, 9 letters
    preposition, 2 letters
    ___ end, 3 letters
    computer ____, 4 letters

bump, clue is politically themed
    _#1, one letter
    yay, on a ballot 4 letters
    is - this is the answer fond of, 4 letters
    same as clue 1
    gun, 5 letters
    ; (not a clue, just denoting punctuation mark)
    own, adjective 3 letters
    benefitial, synonym 10 letters
    rely, plural 7 letters
    atop, 4 letters
    the
    movie role, 9 letters
    of
    ___ end, 3 letters
    computer ____, 4 letters

• lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user
    lonewolf2011:
    A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user
    Well played. You won. PM your address please.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    That's a good quote.
    Thanks. Props go to Teddy Roosevelt.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bump. Any interest in reviving this one? Thought of it because Rick seemed to really enjoy it (at least solving!) and some of my best memories of him were interacting over it. You do have to write them if you win. Or we could change that. Thoughts?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Bump. Any interest in reviving this one? Thought of it because Rick seemed to really enjoy it (at least solving!) and some of my best memories of him were interacting over it. You do have to write them if you win. Or we could change that. Thoughts?
    I love word games. I'd be up for this if there's interest in reviving it.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Sounds pretty fun!
    How 'bout I just throw one out there to get started... As a refresher, here are the rules from the original post:

Russ55:
    Ok, new game here. It's based on crossword clues. The way it works is the person who's turn it is will give a certain number of crossword style clues. The clues, followed by how many letters are in the given answer. The clues ideally should form a sentence. For instance:

1. ____ Rider. Movie, 4 letters
    2. amarillo. 6 letters
    3. ______ and stones. 6 letters
    4. God of war, minus the s. 3 letters
    5. Thhheeeyyyyy'rrreee _____! 5 letters
    6. Coming ____? Slang, 4 letters
    7. My second drug of choice. 6 letters

The answer would be: Pale Yellow Sticks Are Great With Coffee.

The first person to post all answers in the correct order wins the game. The person whose turn it is will then send the winner a package of cigars. 3 stick minimum and they should be decent sticks. No one's expecting Opus X, but we don't want to see White Owls either. Use common sense. Upon receiving his cigars, the winner is expected to post a crossword clue game of his own within 48 hours, and the cycle continues.

The person whose turn it is, is the final arbitrator on what the correct answer is. Think about your clues, if there's more than one answer be fair. Please only 2 guesses in a 24 hour period. The game is open to anyone on the Good Traders list. Thanks for playing.

So... here goes...

1. There is none in “TEAM”, 1 letter
    2. Zero, to Venus, 4 letters
    3. Absent from “be, or not be”, 2 letters
    4. Commit a court infraction, 6 letters
    5. Interrupter's word, 3 letters
    6. In football, power formation, 1 letter
    7. Bigot's emotion, 4 letters
    8. … and fro, 2 letters
    9. Succeed, in a big way, 6 letters

-Albert Einstein
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Hey brother been waiting for others to give it a try before submitting my answer but didn't want you hanging alone. Pretty good clues. Answer I came up with:

"I love to travel. But I hate to arrive." - Albert Einstein
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I get it now. Nice one. My sentiments exactly
    JMartinez10:
    Hey brother been waiting for others to give it a try before submitting my answer but didn't want you hanging alone. Pretty good clues. Answer I came up with:

We have a winner!!! Nice job coach!

PM me your addy. I'll get your prize out in the mail later this week.

You're up for the next puzzle!
    Coach?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Coach?
    This was always one of the reasons for the slowdown, it's difficult to come up with puzzles. Maybe it wasn't for you, lol, but for us mortals...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    JMartinez10:
    Hey brother been waiting for others to give it a try before submitting my answer but didn't want you hanging alone. Pretty good clues. Answer I came up with:

We have a winner!!! Nice job coach!

PM me your addy. I'll get your prize out in the mail later this week.

You're up for the next puzzle!
    I didn't catch that it was an Einstein quote. Cool.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Coach?
    This was always one of the reasons for the slowdown, it's difficult to come up with puzzles. Maybe it wasn't for you, lol, but for us mortals...
    Oh. I didn't mean that to sound like I was rushing coach for the next set of clues. I was nudging him to PM me his addy so I can send out his prize.

These puzzles are tricky to construct. Makes it seem easier to do if, like me, you have no life. :^)
  • My bad brothers.... was out for a few days. Mother in-law took a bad turn on Monday afternoon. I will get the next clue up and going. Please give me to the end of the day today. Thanks.
  • 1a) Not easy to believe (4 Letters)
    2a) 1 of 3 commonly used homophones (2 Letters)
    3a) Search and locate (4 Letters)

1b) Measured in levels (9 Letters)
    2b) ____ and fro (2 Letters)
    3b) "Make like a tree and ..." (5 Letters)

1c) Mission _______? Not through God. (10 Letters)
    2c) Day & Morrow??? (2 Letters)
    3c) Less we will (6 Letters)

- Real Brothers
    JMartinez10:
    1a) Not easy to believe (4 Letters)

- Real Brothers

Good one coach!

I'll PM the answer, but don't give me the win. Let's see who else figures it out!
    Coach's "trophy" went out today...

Bump
  • Haven't had the chance to post winnings but winnings were received and much appreciated.

To all BOTL's should really try to give these crosswords a try. Can really exercise the brain. I know that coming up with clues may be a little difficult and for me it was but once I got the hang of it was easy as cake.

JMartinez10:
    Haven't had the chance to post winnings but winnings were received and much appreciated.

To all BOTL's should really try to give these crosswords a try. Can really exercise the brain. I know that coming up with clues may be a little difficult and for me it was but once I got the hang of it was easy as cake.

Glad your winnings arrived safely Coach! This really is a fun game. Didn't know it existed on here until Ken brought it back. I hope it will catch on!!
    JMartinez10:
    1a) Not easy to believe (4 Letters)

- Real Brothers
    Bump...

Anybody gonna try to solve coach's crossword?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• After a long wait we got a winner. Great job webmost!!! Winnings should be in mail hopefully tomorrow but for sure Monday.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yon (5)
    exist (3)
    negatory (2)
    celibate (6)
    psyches (6)
    psyches (6)
    fornicate (8)
    anywhere (9)
    them (4)
    aggregate (4)

... the longshoreman philosopher

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Good one, webmost! I got it, but I'm gonna sit this one out.