Home Non Cigar Related

Movie night.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Somehow my wife and I have gotten into a weekly movie night.

It all started because we have Amazon Prime membership, bought a smart TV and can stream the movies from Amazon using a prepaid card loaded on their site.
No debit card or credit card, just punch in the pin number for the amazon streaming and purchase a movie.

Anyway, Tuesdays are new release dates. So every Tuesday, we either purchase a movie or rent one or find a free movie on Amazon to watch.

At first it was we'll pop up some popcorn (we have one of those movie theater poppers, but smaller version) and watch the movie, but it's advanced to movie and pizza night.

Tonight, we are going to watch Ender's Game.

Anyone have movie night or something like it?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Well....
    I watch my Netflix on the surround in the living room in the evenings while my wife watches her Netflix in the bedroom in the evenings (we like different type of movies)
    does that count lol

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    My Wife and I get in to a TV show we can stream on Netflix. We finished Dexter and are waiting for the final season of Breaking Bad to show up on Netflix (even though I already watched the last season). Then we are going to start Sons of Anarchy. It's nice chill time. I have my cousin's Amazon Prime login so I'll have to look up Enders Game tonight and put it in the queue.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Those are always fun. My gf and I have a "walking dead night."
    Thanatos0320:
    ^^^^^^
    Jealous, would have to tie my wife down and drug her to get her to watch those with me lol
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Well...one a week I get a little somethin somethin from the ol wife. Celebration in my book!
    Rain:
    Well...one a week I get a little somethin somethin from the ol wife. Celebration in my book!
    So...
    that's gonna be a movie night each week ??

• SOA = Awesome Show!!!! The wife and I do the same. Finished The Following and now are enjoying Season 2.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    Rain:
    So...
    that's gonna be a movie night each week ??

A comedic tragedy?
    Or is that a tragic comedy?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Zero I think this is a great thing for all couples. You need that time. My wife and I are no strangers to movie night, but sometimes we have to go to the movies to get away by ourselves. Drop kiddos off at sister's and enjoy a grown up movie. LOL
  • ROFL
    JMartinez10:
    Zero I think this is a great thing for all couples. You need that time. My wife and I are no strangers to movie night, but sometimes we have to go to the movies to get away by ourselves. Drop kiddos off at sister's and enjoy a grown up movie. LOL
    LOL! The good thing about having grown kids, is I only have to say 8 words and their gone.
    Those are, "Your mom and I are gonna get nekkid." ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • LOL!!! Priceless
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    We do movie nights all the time. Rotate one night her choice one night my choice. Luckily she's not much into the traditional chick flicks. Currently I'm exposing her to Band of Brothers which makes me love her that much more. Last movie she picked was Machete Kills.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    My wife and I watch Netflix on the regular. Our shows of choice are Supernatural, White Collar, Adventure time (hers), Family Guy, and American Dad.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    Thanatos0320:
    ^^^^^^
    Jealous, would have to tie my wife down and drug her to get her to watch those with me lol
    I actually had to force her to watch it. She doesn't like the gore. Right now she's going crazy waiting for the next season to start.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

How did you like Ender's Game? I was seriously disappointed by it, but I love the book, so maybe that was why.

On topic, we do a movie night once or twice a week when I am home. I have a TB passport that is almost full of movies, so we either pick something off it, hit up Redbox, Netflix, or Vudu. The best thing is when we do a movie marathon day, normally on a lazy Sunday.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    We used to always start a new first-run movie from between 10 to midnight every Thursday night before it opened on Friday. Then I quit working at a movie theater and had to start paying for movies and watch them with other people.

Oh, I kind of missed the point. In the reality of NOW with our family, we do a couple of things like this. I love the prime membership (I didn't quote whoever says they have their relative's login...be careful, Amazon has been known to track IPs and ban any account that might be associated with the both of you. I've heard of people losing all Kindle book purchases because of shared accounts.) We watch a series as a family. Right now, we're finishing up Stargate: Atlantis. We did all of SG1 just before that. Before that it was Trek. Kids didn't like TOS, but we all made it through TNG and DS9. I hate Voyager and the wife lost interest, so that's what the kids get to watch when we want them out of our hair.

The wife is a Downton Abbey addict, so I support that habit by sitting next to her and trying not to fall asleep. (She says it doesn't count if I read or play on my tablet).

We usually watch a movie from Amazon, our collection or Redbox on Friday evening, though. But our classic "couple" time is playing Scrabble. It's a lot more fun with alcohol, and we play with some house rules, but it's the only game she feels she can win against me. We used to do this about three nights a week, but it's more like every other week or more now, for some reason.

Finally, Ender's Game was good. I love the book (my daughter's 6th grade class is assigned to read it right now, and I tried to convince her to tell the teacher I could be a guest speaker, but she just rolled her eyes). The movie has some differences and I worried that people who hadn't read the book would be confused, but I talked to some people who got things I thought they might miss. I thought it was a good book to movie conversion. And an enjoyable movie.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    alienmisprint:
    0patience:

How did you like Ender's Game? I was seriously disappointed by it, but I love the book, so maybe that was why.

On topic, we do a movie night once or twice a week when I am home. I have a TB passport that is almost full of movies, so we either pick something off it, hit up Redbox, Netflix, or Vudu. The best thing is when we do a movie marathon day, normally on a lazy Sunday.
    I liked Ender's Game. I thought it was a great movie, but not having read the book, I had no preconceived notion about it. A friend that watched it, said it was lacking and they too had read the book. I have not.
    It is common for folks to feel a movie is lacking when it goes to the screen from a book. After all, the only have so many minutes to tell tha story that took you hours to read.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    alienmisprint:
    0patience:

I liked Ender's Game. I thought it was a great movie, but not having read the book, I had no preconceived notion about it. A friend that watched it, said it was lacking and they too had read the book. I have not.
    It is common for folks to feel a movie is lacking when it goes to the screen from a book. After all, the only have so many minutes to tell tha story that took you hours to read.
    How were you able to stream it last night. I got on there and put it in the queue and it didn't stream. I was looking forward to that movie.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    alienmisprint:
    0patience:

It is hard to be unbiased having read the book, but it really felt like even if I hadn't read the book I still wouldn't have liked it. There is just so much more to the story, not to mentioned they ruined the surprise ending like halfway through the movie. That was one of the best parts of the book, and they just throw it out right in the middle of the movie. It really disappointed me. Some movie translations hold up pretty well; Sphere comes to mind.
    dennisking:
    0patience:
    alienmisprint:
    0patience:

How were you able to stream it last night. I got on there and put it in the queue and it didn't stream. I was looking forward to that movie.
    We purchased it. You can rent or purchase movies through amazon and stream them. We buy an amazon card at wahlgreens and load it on amazon. We can purchase or rent diirectly from our tv
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Football makes the world go 'round in our house. Does that count? During football season, we're watching football almost every night. If there isn't a game on that night, we're usually watching a game that we recorded from the weekend. Our 4 year old daughter constantly asks if we want to watch some football.

We don't speak much the other 8 months of the year.
    Bringing back this thread, because we went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy.

This was a great movie with a lot of action, comedy and special effects.
    I can't remember the last time I went to a movie where the entire theater clapped at the end of the movie.
    We will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD/Blueray.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: