Home Ratings & Reviews

Nica Rustica by DE

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just bought a 5 pack of these bc I'm a big DE fan. Anyone had these yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have these all day long at work and I don't need them from the forum too. I'm not talking about the links either. LOL
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i have 5 resting from Royln....haven't busted into them
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    MorganGeo:
    I have these all day long at work and I don't need them from the forum too. I'm not talking about the links either. LOL

Haha, I see what you did there!
    I personally haven't had one, but I think I read a post from puff dougie the other day saying they were pretty good.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had one and thought it was real good... I like the approach by DE with a reasonable price tag and a different flavor profile.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I had one also and thought it was good. I dont think I would do a box purchase on it though, but I might pick up a few singles again.
    dandin1:
    MorganGeo:

Haha, I see what you did there!
    I personally haven't had one, but I think I read a post from puff dougie the other day saying they were pretty good.
    That's the url I posted!

Yeah, they were a pretty good stick.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I picked one up on Sunday and am in the 2nd 3rd now… super solid stick, clean light and puts out lots of smoke. This sucker smells great, has a perfect draw, razor clean burn and I'm really enjoying it. Unless it turns on me, I'm thinking it's box worthy. My 1st non-acid DE and a game changer in terms of my impressions of DE sticks.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i had one last night while playing poker....great stick
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Good stick. I like the Undercrown better, but solid all around.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big DE fan. The Ligas aren't really my cup of tea the undercrown is just ok. But the Nica, I like it a lot its become my go to.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me ?! I go to work and Maddie shows up.. Damm, Sorry I missed you. It's been a while, I hope you are doing well. Sorry to 'jack this thread but Maddie is an Original Member I don't get to see often enough.
    kaspera79:
    Are you kidding me ?! I go to work and Maddie shows up.. Damm, Sorry I missed you. It's been a while, I hope you are doing well. Sorry to 'jack this thread but Maddie is an Original Member I don't get to see often enough.
    That's what you get for going to work, sucker.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoking my first one and I, am impressed. I like the undercrowns and this is right there with em. Not as sweet and more of a woody taste, but LOTS of smoke (which I like).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one, but I thought it was meh. I've had two; the robusto was good, but the toro was less than impressive.
    blutattoo:
    I must be the only one, but I thought it was meh. I've had two; the robusto was good, but the toro was less than impressive.
    I thought they only had the one size? I had the El Brujito, 6x52. I would have loved it a year ago, but now that I've experienced so many more fine smokes, thanks to all the bombs, it's just a solid stick.

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I could've sworn that the one I bought a few months back was smaller than 6x52. If they were one in the same then maybe the one I smoked today was just a bum stick, because I remember being moderately pleased with the first one.
    blutattoo:
    I could've sworn that the one I bought a few months back was smaller than 6x52. If they were one in the same then maybe the one I smoked today was just a bum stick, because I remember being moderately pleased with the first one.
    I heard a rumor somewhere that they were expanding the line, but don't know if there's any credence to it. Maybe there are some floating around somewhere? I will say the brute seemed a tad too big...it felt bigger than 52rg for some reason.

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked 1 sunday morning, and i thought it was very good, and reasonable for the price.
    Gray4lines:
    Smoking my first one and I, am impressed. I like the undercrowns and this is right there with em. Not as sweet and more of a woody taste, but LOTS of smoke (which I like).
    That's exactly my thoughts on this cigar. Very typical of DE it puts out tons of smoke. I was in my local B&M when I smoked it the first time. I immediately recommended it to a buddy of mine that walked in to the shop. I said its one of the woodiest cigars I've ever smoked ... You can imagine the woody jokes that ensued.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm not a big DE fan. The Ligas aren't really my cup of tea the undercrown is just ok. But the Nica, I like it a lot its become my go to.

I might give them a shot then, I'm in kind of the same boat. I think the Liga line is okay, but waaaay overpriced. The Undercrowns aren't bad, probably my favorite offering by DE, but the rest of the stuff I've tried is meh at best. The MUWAT, Papas Fritas, and Herrera Estelli all just hit me as plain, uneventful sticks.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Curious how you would describe the differences between the Nica Rustica and the Liga? I've had both and enjoyed them both, but my palatte isn't sophisticated enough to really pinpoint the pros and cons of each. I know it's a subjective thing. Just wondering how you would describe why you personally like the Nica but not the Liga.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    madurofan:

I might give them a shot then, I'm in kind of the same boat. I think the Liga line is okay, but waaaay overpriced. The Undercrowns aren't bad, probably my favorite offering by DE, but the rest of the stuff I've tried is meh at best. The MUWAT, Papas Fritas, and Herrera Estelli all just hit me as plain, uneventful sticks.
    That's what's good about the Nica's about $7/stick or so maybe less... I will send you a few to try...
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Gray4lines:
    That's exactly my thoughts on this cigar. Very typical of DE it puts out tons of smoke. I was in my local B&M when I smoked it the first time. I immediately recommended it to a buddy of mine that walked in to the shop. I said its one of the woodiest cigars I've ever smoked ... You can imagine the woody jokes that ensued.
    I smoked my first one tonight and I liked it a lot. As mentioned above it puts off the usual DE trademark of tons of foot smoke. The overriding theme was that woodsy flavor IMO. Very good for the price.
    Puff_Dougie:
    madurofan:
    Curious how you would describe the differences between the Nica Rustica and the Liga? I've had both and enjoyed them both, but my palatte isn't sophisticated enough to really pinpoint the pros and cons of each. I know it's a subjective thing. Just wondering how you would describe why you personally like the Nica but not the Liga.
    Hey Dougie, the only way to develop your palette is to talk about what you think you are tasting. Other people can help you work it out. Also some people just have the ability to taste more subtle things than others do. That being said I don't have the most well developed palette myself so certain flavors stand out to me much more than others. I taste things in cigars all the time that I couldn't identify with a life sized version of Kuzi's flavor wheel. And I've found that personally I do not enjoy trying to review a cigar, it sucks the relaxation right out of it for me. I sit back enjoy and don't think much about it. I find the cigars I enjoy the most I can give you the least details on.

So as for Liga versus Nica, totally different cigar. I enjoy a spicy cigar, the Liga to me is lacking on spice and I find it to my palette to be a very on dimensional cigar. For me the Nica has the good factors from the Liga, (smoke production, draw and refinement) and hits the flavor profile that I enjoy.
    Puff_Dougie:
    madurofan:
    I would compare the Nica to the Undercrown before other LP's. Very similar to me in some ways, but with more wood and less chocolate. The Nica's also seem to have a feel that is more lush. I hesitate to say full, because it's not a matter of strength, but it feels "richer" to me than the UC. The UC on the other hand has more pronounced and distinct flavors. I find the two interesting to compare as an example of feel vs. flavor.

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Hey Dougie, the only way to develop your palette is to talk about what you think you are tasting. Other people can help you work it out. Also some people just have the ability to taste more subtle things than others do. That being said I don't have the most well developed palette myself so certain flavors stand out to me much more than others. I taste things in cigars all the time that I couldn't identify with a life sized version of Kuzi's flavor wheel. And I've found that personally I do not enjoy trying to review a cigar, it sucks the relaxation right out of it for me. I sit back enjoy and don't think much about it. I find the cigars I enjoy the most I can give you the least details on.

So as for Liga versus Nica, totally different cigar. I enjoy a spicy cigar, the Liga to me is lacking on spice and I find it to my palette to be a very one dimensional cigar. For me the Nica has the good factors from the Liga, (smoke production, draw and refinement) and hits the flavor profile that I enjoy.
    Very helpful observations. Thank you! I'll look forward to comparing the two again next time I have the chance. Things like burn, draw, construction, and smoke are easy to guage, but the finer differences in flavor and complexity will take some time to learn to distinguish. I actually enjoyed the Nica Rustica more than the Ligas I've had, but couldn't quite put my finger on how they were different.

Martel:
    I would compare the Nica to the Undercrown before other LP's. Very similar to me in some ways, but with more wood and less chocolate. The Nica's also seem to have a feel that is more lush. I hesitate to say full, because it's not a matter of strength, but it feels "richer" to me than the UC. The UC on the other hand has more pronounced and distinct flavors. I find the two interesting to compare as an example of feel vs. flavor.
    Still looking forward to trying the Undercrown. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the feedback, fellas!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them. A very full smoke. Goes great with a mocha coffee.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Puff_Dougie:
    madurofan:
    I thought it compared more to the KFC but without the smoke flavor.
    Rhamlin:
    Martel:
    Puff_Dougie:
    madurofan:
    I thought it compared more to the KFC but without the smoke flavor.

I haven't had the KFC; not sure if the idea even appeals to me. It seems like a waste of a good smokehouse unless they throw some ribs in there with the tobacco.