Home Cigar 101

Cellophane on or off prior to storing?

Is it just preference, or is there a clear cut better method whether to leave the cellophane on take it off before you let it rest in your humi?

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I say go with the shot glass with distilled water instead of wiping it down...oh wait, wrong question. Cello on.
  • Good question. I have been wondering the same thing myself. Right now I leave the cello on unless the cigar feels a little dry then I will take it out. Any opinions from the experts?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Cello Breathes... If it comes in cello, leave it on, if it comes without cello and you root around in your humi as much as I do, then PUT a cello on it!

Cello is made from wood, so it'll let all the moisture you need pass through
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Cello Breathes... If it comes in cello, leave it on, if it comes without cello and you root around in your humi as much as I do, then PUT a cello on it!

If you're NOT constantly in your humidor (who isn't????) and it didn't come with a cello, don't worry about it. I have a couple of Gurkha Vintage Shaggys sitting naked in my humidor right now, but they're at the bottom and back so I really don't worry about it.. Other than that, Lasabar made it pretty clear.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hays:
    Lasabar:

If you're NOT constantly in your humidor (who isn't????) and it didn't come with a cello, don't worry about it. I have a couple of Gurkha Vintage Shaggys sitting naked in my humidor right now, but they're at the bottom and back so I really don't worry about it.. Other than that, Lasabar made it pretty clear.

I have some naked Gurkha Ancient Warriors (Damn thats a visual I could have done without haha) I just put them to the side and be easier rooting around them ...
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    ncblazer:

Is it just preference, or is there a clear cut better method whether to leave the cellophane on take it off before you let it rest in your humi?

I use to remove it from all of my sticks but now I leave it on as it offers protection when looking through your humidor to find the perfect smoke. My buddy recently started righting the date on the smoke so he knows how old they are for aging purposes.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Hays:
    I have a couple of Gurkha Vintage Shaggys sitting naked in my humidor right now
    Mmmmmm.... naked... can I come? I can bring a cello ;)...
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hays:
    AND EINSTEIN!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hays:
    AND EINSTEIN!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA beautiful
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Lasabar:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hays:
    AND EINSTEIN!
    Btw... Its kind of weird to mention it here... But he passed away two days ago... :(... I just found him curled up and rock cold... He was two years old and still a virgin... R.I.P. Einstein - smartest gerbil in the world!
  • JZ:
    ncblazer:

I use to remove it from all of my sticks but now I leave it on as it offers protection when looking through your humidor to find the perfect smoke. My buddy recently started righting the date on the smoke so he knows how old they are for aging purposes.
    I leave the cello on my sticks so I can write the date as well. Otherwise I'd never remember how long they have been aging.
    Renaissance_Man:
    Lasabar:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hays:
    AND EINSTEIN!
    Btw... Its kind of weird to mention it here... But he passed away two days ago... :(... I just found him curled up and rock cold... He was two years old and still a virgin... R.I.P. Einstein - smartest gerbil in the world!
    My condolences... very sorry for your loss.

May he be resting in the big **** in the sky.. *Snicker*
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest leaving the Cello on. If you are going to be aging the smoke for quite a while then I would snip the tail of the cello at the foot to give it just a little more breathing space.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    I would suggest leaving the Cello on. If you are going to be aging the smoke for quite a while then I would snip the tail of the cello at the foot to give it just a little more breathing space.
    good idea, I am gonna try that for my smokes that are in my aging humi.

"Long ashes my friends."

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I tend to take the cello off, but I don't dig through my stuff very often. If I did, the cello would stay on. I'm odd - I know right where I put something and I'll think about what I'm going to smoke for the night before I open the humi up. They just look better with the cello off! :)

I have other ways of organizing when my cigars came in, but it's a sweet idea to write the date on the cello. Maybe that is one more reason to keep the cello on!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I go rumaging through my humi every day just to remember what I have and to see which one I am going to smoke. I tend to leave the cello on and write the date on them as well, that way I know if they are rested or how long I have had them aging.
  • I always take the cello off before I put new cigars in my humidor because I find they stack better that way, and they look better that way (which is important I guess?). I don't do a whole lot of rumaging through my sticks as I have a pretty good knowledge of what I have, so I have never had any problems with cigars being damaged. I really do like the idea of writing dates on the cello for aging purposes though.
    Everyone likes the writing of the date, but what do you write with?

In my experience anything that writes on Cello is chemical and smells very badly.... anything non harsh won't stick to cello...

What do you guys use?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

In my experience anything that writes on Cello is chemical and smells very badly.... anything non harsh won't stick to cello...

What do you guys use?
    Have you tried sticky labels with a sharpie?
    Lasabar:

What do you guys use?
    I use masking tape and a ball point pen. It doesnt do anything to the cigars, and if you decide to take it off it peels off very easily.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    Lasabar:

What do you guys use?
    I use masking tape and a ball point pen. It doesnt do anything to the cigars, and if you decide to take it off it peels off very easily.
    similar thing here. i get a longer bit of tape and put the date on it for all the cigars that i got in that shipment in sharpie (ball point fades and smears on masking tape in an aging humidor) i let it dry for a bout a minute. once there is no smell i cut them out and place on the cellophane.
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    Lasabar:

What do you guys use?
    similar thing here. i get a longer bit of tape and put the date on it for all the cigars that i got in that shipment in sharpie (ball point fades and smears on masking tape in an aging humidor) i let it dry for a bout a minute. once there is no smell i cut them out and place on the cellophane.
    Okay... the sharpie and tape thing sounds the best...

At least I know that the sharpie won't leave a smell after it dries, that's what I was worried about
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    Lasabar:

What do you guys use?
    So far there has been no fading or smearing (I have been doing ths for only the last two months). I might have to switch over to a sharpie though to avoid it in the future. Another thing I have been considering doing is getting a notebook and keeping all my info in there. This will eliminate anything going wrong inside my humi.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice ideas and advice in this thread. I personally leave them the way I purchased them. Since I buy 99% online all of my cigars come in cello so they stay in cello. I was wondering about this same thing brought up in this thread last week. Glad I found these forums. I like the idea of marking them.
    ejenne87:
    ... Another thing I have been considering doing is getting a notebook and keeping all my info in there. This will eliminate anything going wrong inside my humi.
    I have a notebook that I keep dates for when shipments come in. The issue is when I order singles of some of my favorites multiple times - unless I have a way to separate the sticks or differentiate, the notebook doesn't really help. A combination of both would certainly be the best way to go about it.
    I do have a premade and well-made cigar/humidor spreadsheet that I use... It's made by another company (Whom I've never heard of, but I don't want to disrespect C.COM) but it's very useful and can have you keep track of up to like 5 humi's and has a section for reviews... PM me if you'd like a copy!
    I sent you a PM. Sounds awesome.
    TatuajeVI:
    I sent you a PM. Sounds awesome.
    Sent a PM as well...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    Lasabar:

What do you guys use?
    So far there has been no fading or smearing (I have been doing ths for only the last two months). I might have to switch over to a sharpie though to avoid it in the future. Another thing I have been considering doing is getting a notebook and keeping all my info in there. This will eliminate anything going wrong inside my humi.
    Yeah I'm bad about this, been meaning to do this but I never do. Luckily I can remember what I have in there, got a bunch of Opus's reaching over a year...
  • ok, another dilemna..lol Just got a few OpusX sticks that come in the glass tube - take them out of the tube or leave them in? I also have a Padilla collectors tin which would fit ok into my 300ct humi - should I take those out as well or will it be ok to set the tin in the bottom. Can't wait to move out of this condo - my 100ct humi is packed to the gills and the 300ct is rapidly filling up...lol Already have my sight set on one that would take years to fill up, just have to wait until we build another house!