Home Cigar 101

Tobacco Leaf?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Time for a stupid noob question...

Received some sticks yesterday from Davis. Included in the bag was a really cool loose tobacco leaf. I'd actually never seen one before. It smells incredible, but also very strong.

So here's my question: Should I keep it in my humi? I'm thinking that the scent is way too strong and that it will overpower the cigars or affect their flavor. Is that correct? If so, what do I do with it? Bag it and keep it separate? Put it in a nice salad? Help please...
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    shouldnt be a reap issue unless it is unfermented. then it may let ammonia smells into the humidor as it starts to ferment.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you tell if it's fermented or not?
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    what color is it?
    pics would be great.

even better...

pics with a connecticut shade cigar next to it.

i havent been around unfermented tobacco in a long time so i cant remember how different it will smell
    ill see if there is another way though.
    looks fermented to me
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll it and smoke it! LOL!
    I have a few that I have stored in the bottom drawer of my humi.
    I'm thinking of buying some cameroon wrapper leaf and trying my hand at it.
    What's the worse that can happen? It tastes awful and falls apart.
    But the experience of it will be worth it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thanks guys. This leaf smells awesome, but it's so much stronger than any of the cigars that I was afraid keeping in the humi it would leach into the other gars. Sounds like it's no big deal.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be because it's fresh? Cigars manufactured usually get to age post roll a little while and manufacturers will age the leaf before that too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Could be. Maybe Davis will jump in here and tell me what it is and where it came from? Davis? You out there, bro?
    Mystery solved. Davis weighed in on another thread...

webmost:
    The leaf is a pinch of Kentucky Burley, of a variety they call One Sucker, cause that variety doesn't sprout more than one "sucker" on the stem. I threw it in there in lieu of a humidipack to help keep your cigars in what tobacco growers call "good case". Why do they speak of "case" instead of humidity or dampness or such? I have asked, but I don't get any better answer than that's just the term they use. I didn't invent this method of using a sacrificial leaf to maintain case. A biker/sailor buddy brought me a cigar rolled in the Puerta Vallarta mercado by Don Martin here recently. Told the roller he was toting it north to a gringo weeks hence; so the good Don stuck it in a baggie with a leaf.

It's a herbidipack.

Plus, baccy leaf does smell good, doesn't it?

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aged two years. You can find it at thetobaccobutcher.com ... look under One Sucker.

Do not put it in salad. Tobacco leaf is poisonous.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)