Home Cigar 101

Humidor Hell

Rare_DesireRare_Desire Posts: 13
I dip my clean sponge in Poland Spring Distilled Water, squeeze the sponge to release most of the water to keep it damp, place a small riped plastic bag below the sponge which is placed inside my humidor. After two days of that being in there, I open the humidor and take out my sponge.

Then...

the **** humidity leaves the humidor and my hydrometer which started at 80% humidity before I took out my sponge, rapidly dips to 70% to 60% after a minute after the humidor was open for 10 secs.

How do I make the humidity just stay consistently between the golden range of 65%-73% humidity?

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Fill it with cigars... your empty humidor is not going to hold humidity with just the wooden walls. Let it season for a day more, then dump in your cigars and humidifying agent.
  • Rare_DesireRare_Desire Posts: 13
    ok...so currently I replaced my damp sponge insde the humidor the the hydrometer reads at 80%, a 10% rise in humidity.

Should I take my sponge out right now and place my cigars? Or take out my sponge and leave the humidor closed for 24hrs?
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    If it's at 80 everytime when you open the humidor, then it should be ok to remove the sponge and add your cigars.
    It stays at 80 when the sponge is in there regardless of whether it is opened or closed. The problem lies when the sponge is removed; every time the lid is open for a few seconds, the hydrometer drops.

Are you telling me in order for the humidity to stay consistently in the golden range, I should immediately dump my cigars inside as soon as I remove my sponge? That way the humidity is circulating from the walls to the cigars or something along those lines?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Rare Desire:
    It stays at 80 when the sponge is in there regardless of whether it is opened or closed. The problem lies when the sponge is removed; every time the lid is open for a few seconds, the hydrometer drops. Are you telling me in order for the humidity to stay consistently in the golden range, I should immediately dump my cigars inside as soon as I remove my sponge? That way the humidity is circulating from the walls to the cigars or something along those lines?
    you can be mislead by rapid swings on the hygro. I used to be the same way... it would make me panic. this doesnt mean that the box isnt seasoned, rather just the damp air is exchanging fast when you open the box. this is very normal.

simply put... bring the humi up to 80 and let it sit there for a few days. this is more just to get the cedar inside to absorb the moisture. After a few days you may now add your cigars. place your hygro back in the box and allow to sit for 12 hours. Then check your hygro reading. It may again be back up to 80, or it may swing rather low, These are your tuning indicators.

from here it depends on what your using in your humi to control your humidity. i cant really suggest what direction you should take in "tuning" your humidity until we all know what medium your planning on using for moisture.

Aj
    "...bring the humi up to 80 and let it sit there for a few days. this is more just to get the cedar inside to absorb the moisture."

So let the sponge stay put inside the humidor for...let's say three more days? What if the hygro swings to the low 60's again after I take my sponge out?

What do you mean by "tuning" my humidor?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    well once you get the wood absorbed and you take the sponge out you add your cigars. If the box swings real low say 50% and less, after adding your cigars then the seal is probably leaking and the box is the culprit.

If it swings to 60% and kinda hovers there for a few days thats an OK thing. It means the box has some moisture in it and the cigars are helping it along. 60% and above is generally alright for a week or so when getting the box started.

So lets say it has held at 60% for a day or two... GREAT! we know its pretty much working, now we can begin to 'Tune" the box. By tuning, I mean adding or subtracting the amount of humidifacation media your using to get your target %. So if its too low, add a small amount of media and give the box another 12 hours. re-check and see where it sits. if it is too high, remove some media and let sit for 12 hours. thats what i mean by tuning.

So for EXAMPLE: My 100 count Humi.
    I began by placing the sponge just like you inside. allowed to sit for 3 days. when i opened the box, it read 85%. I added about 50 Cigars and I added 2 half used 72% boveda packs. I close and let sit for 12 hours. I return and check my hygro.... it reads 63%. Okay, so the box and cigars are still absorbing some moisture, lets add ONE more Boveda 72% packet. allow to sit for 12 hours. re-check the box again... now it reads 70%! Perfect! I am withing my target range of 71%to 68%. In my Humi, I use Boveda Packets to add moisture, There are many many differnt ways. You can use Boveda, or Cat Litter, Gel, Poly Alky, beads, foam puck, or wick. Just depends on what you like and how much you want to spend.

I hope that helps!

Aj
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot wrong with this! First Poland springs is spring water not distilled! Second not sure who told you 73rh is a good number! Third did you even calibrate your hygrometer? Four is it the one that came with your humidor? Are you planning on using the foam puck for humidity? And how big is the humidor?
    Money can't buy taste
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    80%!!!! 60-70% is your gold area, do not go above 70% or you will run in to some major issues with over humidification. Also, don't use a sponge and Poland Springs water, use actual Distilled water and get yourself a humidification device, like a Humi-care power stick or some other form of PG beads. Lastly, don't over think it, it’s a very simple process and you’re going to burn yourself out if you think into things too much; cigars are a lot more resilient then people will make you believe. Light up a smoke, relax, and everything will be ok. If you need any help or advice, please feel free to contact me directly.
    I didn't use ordinary Poland spring water...it was a special distilled version. 73 was a number thrown around thruout youtube. The hygro and foam puck (which I dipped into the distilled water) came with the humidor. And the humidor holds 50 max.
    The poland spring is a special distilled version. I used the sponge because every single seasoning post/video on the internet advises using a damp sponge to season.

I already have a humidification device..the black puck which came along with the humidor
    Rare Desire:
    I didn't use ordinary Poland spring water...it was a special distilled version. 73 was a number thrown around thruout youtube. The hygro and foam puck (which I dipped into the distilled water) came with the humidor. And the humidor holds 50 max.
    73 is too high I'd go 67...ditch the puck and hygrometer and then go from there. Your readings are probably way off and the puck grows mold!
    Money can't buy taste
    why 60-70%...another poster says 68-72%...actually..most ppl say 65-72%
    If the puck and hygro are useless, then why do they come along with the humidor? I assume their good to start with, not ment to immediately be dumped
    IMO 70-72= mold! Yup search on how 70/70 rule came about...nobody can really answer it! Most people store from 60-65 from trial and error
    Money can't buy taste
    The puck and hygro are cheap so yup why not put them in there?! They don't work well and if you don't believe me keep your sticks at 73 with the puck and hygro and I garrantee you'll be throwing out your cigars
    Money can't buy taste
    So right now, I just took out my sponge, put all my cigars inside..and the hygro reads at 70%..maybe a little low.

I agree that the hygro and puck r cheap. For now, I'll keep em inside. When I head to the cigar shop, I purchase a new puck, hygro, and...according to many post...a Boveda Pack.

Which boveda pack, has me perplexed...
    Your problem is your hygro could say 70 but without calibrating it it really could be 90! I actually saw the videos you were talking about and that guy knows nothing!! He should be hung for what he says! Really nobody should go over 70 and well it depends on the climate. Where do you live??
    Money can't buy taste
    NY ..it's 20 degree..for the rest of the week..it will be in the high 40 mid 50
    Let's say the hygro is in the 90's...couldn't everything be fixed and fine once it's lowered to the desired range?