Home Ratings & Reviews

Opus X

JZJZ Posts: 827
I recently fired up an Opus X Double Corona while vacationing at the beach. I enjoyed the stick while sitting on an ocean front balcony which added to the enjoyment. I thought the cigar had good spice which increased as the cigar burned and during the majority of the smoke with some light creamy notes. I thought that it didnt have the full bodied nature that is usually reported, but after smoking about 3/4's I found myself really feeling the effect of the cigar and it came on in a hurry. If you have one in your humi, it may be advisable to enjoy it after a good hearty meal. I believe I waited to long to fire it up after I had dinner. Overall I think it was a decent smoke but the price point is a bit steep, but a stick every aficianado should try atleast once.

Comments

• I have a **** in the humi. Can't wait to fire it up, just waiting for a special occasion.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    I recently fired up an Opus X Double Corona while vacationing at the beach. I enjoyed the stick while sitting on an ocean front balcony which added to the enjoyment. I thought the cigar had good spice which increased as the cigar burned and during the majority of the smoke with some light creamy notes. I thought that it didnt have the full bodied nature that is usually reported, but after smoking about 3/4's I found myself really feeling the effect of the cigar and it came on in a hurry. If you have one in your humi, it may be advisable to enjoy it after a good hearty meal. I believe I waited to long to fire it up after I had dinner. Overall I think it was a decent smoke but the price point is a bit steep, but a stick every aficianado should try atleast once.
    Pansy ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    Krieg:
    JZ:
    Pansy ;)
    If I remember correctly after you smoked yours you made the switch to smoking nothing but cigarillos from here on out!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    the opusx sneaks up on you that's for sure. I really didn't think the cigar was all that strong but the power ranger is a bit strong. I had one after breakfast a few months ago and it paired well with my coffee. I've been dying to try one of my forbidden x's.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    The Opus are strongest right out of the shipment. The older they get, the more mellow they become. You really need to decide if you want the strength or the enhanced flavors that come with saving them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i start to enjoy opus after a good year+ in the humidor. any fresher than that and it just isnt right.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    i start to enjoy opus after a good year+ in the humidor. any fresher than that and it just isnt right.

Is that for any Opus ? I have a couple resting -one less than 6 months one about 6 weeks. I have given them out in games but have yet to smoke one, would you say to get the correct experience it should set a while ...what did you find the differences to be in them smoking fresh (6 mos or less) versus over a year? Thanks in advance for the help.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If i get another one, I am definitely going to age them for a min of a year or 2.

"Long ashes my friends."

• tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    These are by far my favorite smokes...as good as they are to me out of the box, they only get better with age. I have had a humidor devoted to opus' aging some for 2 years some for 6 months. I have an A that is awkwardly sitting diagonal in the humidor that has been in there for almost too long. itching to try it but patience is virtue. The wait will be worth it i hope. Im looking at picking up one of the anniversary boxes, just need to convince myself to drop the dough. I wouldnt mind having 30 of em aging and have the last one when i turn 30, that would be somethin :) i doubt i could hold off that long though.
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:

Is that for any Opus ? I have a couple resting -one less than 6 months one about 6 weeks. I have given them out in games but have yet to smoke one, would you say to get the correct experience it should set a while ...what did you find the differences to be in them smoking fresh (6 mos or less) versus over a year? Thanks in advance for the help.
    its all personal taste. i just feel that they taste a bit too fresh when they first come out. smoke one fresh and age one. youll see the difference. i can see how others would like em right off the truck... i just dont prefer them that way .
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:

its all personal taste. i just feel that they taste a bit too fresh when they first come out. smoke one fresh and age one. youll see the difference. i can see how others would like em right off the truck... i just dont prefer them that way .

I see ...
    by the way if anyone knows any place to get a few opus' pm me please. im always on the hunt
    I got mine at my B&M for 19.99 which is pretty good considering the usual mark up. They sold out in a hurry though. I'll keep an eye out for you though.
    Thanks, yea i know the dates when the b&ms around me get them in and i usually rush in and buy a bunch but unless its christmas or fathers day or something they usually dont. drapers usually carrys those awesome opus tins for 25 bucks. I am going to buy all that i can when christmas is about to arrive.
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:

there is a forum site, I think botl or something that a guy has a thread that goes over reviews of everything opus. Some of them are smoked on a yearly bases where he will compare them. He seems to point out that with over a year or two the cigars seem to have more flavor.
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:

there is a forum site, I think botl or something that a guy has a thread that goes over reviews of everything opus. Some of them are smoked on a yearly bases where he will compare them. He seems to point out that with over a year or two the cigars seem to have more flavor.

Thanks Pheebs
    One thing that really cut's my cheese is how much opus's are inflated in price. 900 bucks for a box of 24 is just wrong. Even higher sometimes. Not to mention 40 bucks or even 35 for one cigar.
    It is a very good cigar but certainly not worth the price. I can live with $12 to $15 per stick but anything more than that is too much. I was fortunate to find mine at the B&M for $19.95.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    One thing that really cut's my cheese is how much opus's are inflated in price. 900 bucks for a box of 24 is just wrong. Even higher sometimes. Not to mention 40 bucks or even 35 for one cigar.
    I recently found some at a "large" local B&M near my house that I hang out at. There were between $15 for the really small ones and $20 for normal size ones. I wanted like a torpedo or belicoso but there weren't any.
    Don't buy 1 in Vegas! Casa Fuente has the largest inventory of Opus in the world, as they should but they are way over priced. Casa Fuente is an awesome shop and has some house cigars that are only available when buying in person, but if you have an Opus on the mind you may need to take out a 2nd mortgage!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey so I figured this would be the appropriate place to ask something I was wondering... I was looking at the Opus' here on Ccom, and I'm a little confused:

What's the difference between the "A" and all the others??? Why the major price difference?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    Hey so I figured this would be the appropriate place to ask something I was wondering... I was looking at the Opus' here on Ccom, and I'm a little confused:

What's the difference between the "A" and all the others??? Why the major price difference?
    Look at the size of the "A" it is a VERY long cigar with its own coffin box. I am not gonna lie when i say it is priced at an extreme at ccom. I picked mine up about a year ago at a B&M for 39 bucks. Been resting in its coffin ever since
    I've see some 04 forbidden X's go for 55 - 70 for one stick online. I have never had a cigar that was that much. I've told myself over and over if I had 6 grand I might pick up a box of gurkha HMR's but only if I hit the lottery or something. I personally like the anejo's more than the opus's and I enjoy the god of fire's more than the anejo's. I still like them all but price considered I'll go with anejo's or GOF's. Then again they all are a bit pricey. Though I still grab them during the winter.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've see some 04 forbidden X's go for 55 - 70 for one stick online. I have never had a cigar that was that much. I've told myself over and over if I had 6 grand I might pick up a box of gurkha HMR's but only if I hit the lottery or something. I personally like the anejo's more than the opus's and I enjoy the god of fire's more than the anejo's. I still like them all but price considered I'll go with anejo's or GOF's. Then again they all are a bit pricey. Though I still grab them during the winter.
    Yea another b&m has the forbiddens in stock all the time they have 2 boxes, 39.99 a stick. ive bought one once, not worth the extra money in my opinion. Still have not yet had the GoF but those are so easy to find and still expensive so i never thought about spending the dough and trying one. maybe its high time. Which do you like best phobic? carlito?
    shaw you've got a pm!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is this like the holy grail? I have never seen one.
    phobicsquirrel:
    ive got an 05 OpusX **** in my humidor right now. i often wonder how much thats worth.

the most expensive cigar i have ever smoked was an Ashton VSG 1999 round. cigar.com has sold out of them but was selling them for about $60.

i would never buy a HMR because i have never smoked an infused cigar that i liked. i dont see why this would be any different. it would just be a very expensive infused cigar that i didnt like.

...if someone just handed me one that would be different.
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ive got an 05 OpusX **** in my humidor right now. i often wonder how much thats worth.

the most expensive cigar i have ever smoked was an Ashton VSG 1999 round. cigar.com has sold out of them but was selling them for about $60.

i would never buy a HMR because i have never smoked an infused cigar that i liked. i dont see why this would be any different. it would just be a very expensive infused cigar that i didnt like.

I remember that review, from what I remember you weren't that impressed.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

I still have one of those VSG 1999 rounds left. The regular VSG is better!
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

I still have one of those VSG 1999 rounds left. The regular VSG is better!
    After reading Kuzi's review I never ordered any, I was thankful because I was ready to order a few. I was a bit sad as I was looking forward to 'em. When I ordered my box of VSG's (most expensive box I've bought) I was looking for some esv's and wow they are much more. I like them but not that much.