Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Diesel Crucible, revisited

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been dying to try this stick since I received it in an epic trade from Medic45! After a long day at the office, the temperature was pleasant so I popped open a Guinness, grabbed the Crucible, and headed for the front porch for some quality time with wifey.

The aroma of this medium/full bodied cigar was heavenly on the pre-light inhale. The foot toasted evenly and the draw was perfect. The predominant flavor seemed to be leather with a bit of wood. The ash burned evenly and it produced large amounts of billowy white smoke. The ash seemed to hang on forever, and probably would have persisted through half of the lengthy stick if I hadn't tapped it off after almost 3 inches.

An odd thing happened about two inches into the smoke. I heard a crackling, popping sound, and the wrapper cracked open along the side of the stick. Strangely, it didn't really affect the burn, which continued to be even throughout the first two-thirds. The flavors gained some complexity at the halfway point, with what seemed to be floral notes, or sweet spice.

Toward the end of this cigar, the burn began to have "issues" and became a bit crooked. The smoke volume continued, and the flavors remained strong, but thoroughly enjoyable. I would definitely recommend the Crucible to anyone who enjoys a full bodied smoking experience. I know I will adding this to my regular rotation.
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Great review. Thanks

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review. I'll pick some up.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I heard a crackling, popping sound, and the wrapper cracked open along the side of the stick.
    Could that have been a cigar beetle?
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Puff_Dougie:
    I heard a crackling, popping sound, and the wrapper cracked open along the side of the stick.
    Could that have been a cigar beetle?
    Oh my gosh.... Could it? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. There were no holes in the wrapper, so I never considered the possibility.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Oh my gosh.... Could it? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Even if it was, don't sweat the fact that you smoked the little guy. Just think of it as a cigar flavor added in, like cherry flavoring in your drink order at Sonic drive in
  • Options
    FYI my thoughts, opinions, speculations and wild a$$ guess's are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I love Crucible, one of my all time fave AJ's. Only problem is they all burn funky, probably due to the wrapper. Great retro on that blend.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Oh my gosh.... Could it? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Even if it was, don't sweat the fact that you smoked the little guy. Just think of it as a cigar flavor added in, like cherry flavoring in your drink order at Sonic drive in
    So, I just couldn't let it go... and went out to the porch and found the nub that was left from the Crucible. Took it apart to see if there was, in fact, any evidence of beatles... what I found wasn't pretty...

. image
  • Options
    Not sure what I would rather find...