Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Took the youngest for a little fun this morning at a place called Busch Wildlife here. The area has 30+ lakes to fish on and rents small fishing boats and you just need to bring your own trolling motor and battery to get around the lake. We hit 2 of them and caught a bunch of shorties. Nothing over 15" but caught about 20 between the 2 of us. Here he is with one that he caught:

photo 5458943F-99C6-43CC-8A62-5795728E3123_zpsog9r5bpk.jpg
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Getting ready for warm weather I blended this flippin jig for my custom jig box. Can't wait too try them out!!photo 288BCA48-023C-461E-8D97-36E50E705324.jpg
    looks like a football jig made by strike king. They work well
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the football jigs...they tend to get crud fed up fast!! It's a 1/2oz flippin jig with mustad hook and a skirt I blended myself. Flippin and pitchin is probably my favorite style besides top water and deep crankin...and by deep crankin I'm talking 15ft+ I'm gonna start doing custom cranks in a couple weeks I hope but we will see
    Money can't buy taste
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fish 2 of 3. Drop shot wacky rig.
    photo E4232D49-orig.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Hate you!!! Been twice, nothin
    One God, One Truth
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Next Saturday I'm going on an overnight trip to the Coronado Islands off of San Diego and Mexico, hope to get some yellow tail mmmm can't wait. Long trip out and back in so I'm bringing some sticks to enjoy.
    chrislolds:
    Next Saturday I'm going on an overnight trip to the Coronado Islands off of San Diego and Mexico, hope to get some yellow tail mmmm can't wait. Long trip out and back in so I'm bringing some sticks to enjoy.
    enjoy bro. take lots of pics
    What's a good spin set up for drop shot? I don't like using a baitcaster fot drop shot.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    What's a good spin set up for drop shot? I don't like using a baitcaster fot drop shot.
    I am a fun of anything Abu Garcia. Series 20 size reel and a 6'6 pole
    danielzreyes:
    i usually use my revo stx but it's a baitcaster... Other whys a shimano Sahara is the only spinning reel I have left. You should try out that nano fil line! Match it up with the 100% flourocarbon and you got yourself a winner!! Today I matched that with the gambler shaky shad and killed it!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    i usually use my revo stx but it's a baitcaster... Other whys a shimano Sahara is the only spinning reel I have left. You should try out that nano fil line! Match it up with the 100% flourocarbon and you got yourself a winner!! Today I matched that with the gambler shaky shad and killed it!!
    nanofil? new?

How thick are you going using the baitcaster?
    I want to set up a spinner because casting drop shot with a baitcaster feels funky. Kinda feels like Carolina rig (I hate this rig). The weight of the lure and the weight itself jacks up my cast. I suck.
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    nanofil? new?

I want to set up a spinner because casting drop shot with a baitcaster feels funky. Kinda feels like Carolina rig (I hate this rig). The weight of the lure and the weight itself jacks up my cast. I suck.
    i usually just pitch it out there...Carolina rigs can be a pain in the ass you just have too use at least a ounce of weight. And yeah nano fil came out a few years ago...really thin braid but good on spinning gear! If you want a awesome reel pretty cheap but a baitcaster I will use the pro qualifier but buy custom drag disc material and use abed 7 hybrid bearings in the spool...not the smoothest but casts far and has dual breaking
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    nanofil? new?

i usually just pitch it out there...Carolina rigs can be a pain in the ass you just have too use at least a ounce of weight. And yeah nano fil came out a few years ago...really thin braid but good on spinning gear! If you want a awesome reel pretty cheap but a baitcaster I will use the pro qualifier but buy custom drag disc material and use abed 7 hybrid bearings in the spool...not the smoothest but casts far and has dual breaking
    i hate using a baitcaster, i just can't get a feel for it.....guess i don't do it often enough and grew up on spin......its tough changing the way you cast after 30+ years of whipping the hell out of a spinner
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    DZR, where you fishing bro? I go to lake kaweah where wacky Senkos work pretty good and Millerton where slip rig night crawlers have been getting hits. These were a few days ago, nothing huge but fun stuff nonetheless.photo 442C31A2-F3B2-4F9F-A8D2-1E133E82299C.jpg photo DD26760D-548D-488F-8393-3EF7F2ADC360.jpg
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    DZR, where you fishing bro? I go to lake kaweah where wacky Senkos work pretty good and Millerton where slip rig night crawlers have been getting hits. These were a few days ago, nothing huge but fun stuff nonetheless.photo 442C31A2-F3B2-4F9F-A8D2-1E133E82299C.jpg photo DD26760D-548D-488F-8393-3EF7F2ADC360.jpg
    Man that looks like a nice time on the water.
    Vinny, been going to Lake Perris. The lake gets a bad rep for being a diaper hole but the fishing is excellent.
    I'll go to other local lakes too though. Skinner, Silverwood, Diamond Valley. Just to name a few.
    Killing time
    photo 69CFB0A1-orig.jpg
    Bigshizza:
    Jetmech_63:
    Man that looks like a nice time on the water.
    that looks like a spotted bass?! Those are always fun!! Fights almost like a smally and looks like a largy!! Either way it's better then work!!
    Money can't buy taste
    be jealous boys, be jealous!

photo E42537F4-F665-41A5-AE3D-FD85AF027501_zpsrgranl28.jpg
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Uuuummmmmm. Bite sized!!!
    One God, One Truth
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Mor like bait size :)
    brianetz1:
    be jealous boys, be jealous!

photo E42537F4-F665-41A5-AE3D-FD85AF027501_zpsrgranl28.jpg
    i think it was trying to spawn lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this last Friday at Lake of the Ozarks. 4lb - 7oz. Hit on a bandit 200 green and white. image

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

I knew your profile pic was a bass boat. Nice catch brother.
    matkn293:
    Got this last Friday at Lake of the Ozarks. 4lb - 7oz. Hit on a bandit 200 green and white. image
    which day? We were throwing those all weekend and didn't get anything near that size. (see my fish a little earlier) Best we were able to pull was a 2.8.

FYI, come to find out that matkn293 and i were staying REALLY close to each other on the same Lake.
    This was caught on Friday. Saturday sucked then Sunday morning was better once they started moving up on the beds. I just happen to get lucky. this is about the only one I heard of in that area. Most were staging 10-20' out and 7-8' deep.

Thank you. I need to post a better picture. That one is pretty pixilated.

brianetz1:
    matkn293:
    Got this last Friday at Lake of the Ozarks. 4lb - 7oz. Hit on a bandit 200 green and white.
    which day? We were throwing those all weekend and didn't get anything near that size. (see my fish a little earlier) Best we were able to pull was a 2.8.

FYI, come to find out that matkn293 and i were staying REALLY close to each other on the same Lake.
    Were you staying at Red Oak? This was one - two coves towards Hurricane Deck on the same side.

matkn293:
    This was caught on Friday. Saturday sucked then Sunday morning was better once they started moving up on the beds. I just happen to get lucky. this is about the only one I heard of in that area. Most were staging 10-20' out and 7-8' deep.
    jig time!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
    matkn293:
    brianetz1:
    matkn293:
    Got this last Friday at Lake of the Ozarks. 4lb - 7oz. Hit on a bandit 200 green and white.

Were you staying at Red Oak? This was one - two coves towards Hurricane Deck on the same side.
    nah, we were a little ways further south at Kon Tiki