Home Cigar 101

icky sticky

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
There's been some discussion on FairTradeTobacco about different cigar glues. Tragacanth, arabic, cellulose, pectin, xanthan, guar, bermacoll ... some even use tapioca. I never realized before this discussion that the makers of pectin often add citric acid. Which leaves a bitter citrus tang. That's what I have been using for no better reason than it's handy at the grocery. So I went ahead and tasted a bit. Sure enough. Bitter citrus. At which point I ordered up some cellulose. Same thing as they use for papier mache. My adopted factory uses bermacoll. Smith says it's the ingredient in wallpaper paste. When I mix up the cellulose, it comes out just like wallpaper paste. Far as I know, that may be in bermacoll.

Was smoking a Nat Sherman and noticed citrus bitter and strong round the head, with what appears to be some sugar, to cut the bitterness. Makes for a grassy flavor on that connie wrapper.

Anyone else identify the taste of glue in their cigar heads?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments