Home Cigar 101
Options

Cooler

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
During our move I lost my precious humidor. Now I am thinking about using a very large cooler. I would keep my cigars in their cedar boxes. It will probably only be half full, maybe. Do I need to fill the rest of the space with empty cedar boxes? Wanna makes sure I use enough cedar! Also does a cooler get more humid then a cedar humidor?

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would worry about filling a cooler with empty boxes. They hold RH great and the cedar from the full boxes should be fine.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Coolers keep rock solid rH. Better than a humidor anyday.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I have heard Boots has an empty cooler
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    And I have heard Boots has an empty cooler
    SHERM!!! Why?!
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    My cooler holds humidity constant even when it is only half full. I use mainly Boveda packs. Works well.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've been using a cooler for a year now and it's working great. Once I figured out how much kitty litter to use the RH is more consistant than when I had regular humidor.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    If I had to do all over again, I would have skipped the humidor and gone with a cooler from the start. Holds humidity like a champ, more storage and very low maintenance.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    ejgorman:
    If I had to do all over again, I would have skipped the humidor and gone with a cooler from the start. Holds humidity like a champ, more storage and very low maintenance.
    Yeah, I mean I can't complain...I have 4 100+ humidors that I've spent a total of $90 on. However, from an overall standpoint. Yeah, I could have sunk that $90 into shelving for a large cooler and been more than happy.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    New Boots:
    Coolers keep rock solid rH. Better than a humidor anyday.
    I have to agree with this as I have used every type of humidor out there. My cooler is filled to the top with cigars...120 quart size and it is pegged at 67% for the last 3 months. I put cedar on the bottom and sides and use KL as the media and it's about as good as it gets. I use a tupperador to draw my smokes from when I want a cigar and use the cooler as pure storage....it's a great system. Nice to see everybody discovering how well coolers work and I did my first cooler about 3 years ago and it's worked out really and my second cooler as I've said works just as well. I have since gotten rid of my 15 tupperadors ( even though they worked great ) and now use coolers. For the price of a 120 qt. or larger you can't go wrong...they go on sale all summer and my last one I got for $60 at WallyMart....you can barely get a china made wood humidor that cheap and they only hold a fraction of what a cooler does.